1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Neato!!!

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by av1611jim, Jul 15, 2007.

1. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Dr. Everret Gaddy has just published a new study Bible.
    It is called the Subject Bible. It is actually two Bibles in one. He has compiled the entire Bible by subject in one section and left the entire text intact in the first section. In the subject section he has avoided ALL commentary and simply printed each and every verse for any particular subject, i.e. Creation, Baptism, Covenant, etc. Completely indexed. In addition he has defined archaic words in both the Old and New Testaments and included those definitions immediately after each verse. It is also printed in giant print.
    What a cool idea. Has anyone seen this?

I will begin saving up to purchase this Bible. Right now it is 150$.

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Yes. I've seen it. It's really nice, but pricey. You will enjoy it I believe. :)

I also like study Bibles without commentary.

3. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Which version is it?

4. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I believe it only comes in the KJV, but maybe NIV as well.

5. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

How do you have "study Bibles" without commentary, unless you have one, with the text only, that has really wide margins or blank pages interleaved between the pages of the text? :confused:

Even any marginal references and verses, which are not part of the translator's actual notes are someone else's "commentary"!

Ed

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Well, I guess you're right in that respect. I was talking more along the lines of huge commentaries like what you'll find in the Nelson study Bible.

Are you out to get me today? :laugh:

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Given the author...what do you think?:BangHead:

8. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Naw, I done got me my honey, :love2: and we have now been married 8 years, with me getting married at the tender age of 50 by "robbing the cradle" with her barely dry behind the ears at 37. (BTW, it is the first marriage, and I do believe it will be the only one, for both of us, unless the Lord should take me home in the short future, anyway.) I do know it will, in all probability, be the only one for me, in any circumstances, but never say "Never!", I guess.

Anywho, I sorta' suspect that she wouldn't like the idea of any competition, and in fact, would be highly irate, were I attempting to 'get' anyone else! :laugh: :laugh:

Ed

#8 EdSutton, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Now Ed, you know that's NOT what I meant! :laugh: Don't you go and get me in trouble with your honey, not to mention MY honey, who I have been married to for 30 years! Oh my, I'm old.

#9 Amy.G, Jul 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2007
  10. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ed

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Excellent!

12. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

The point is:
    the only "references" (if you wish to so clasify them as such) are a simple numbering system which takes you to the "Subject" section which has listed and written out ALL the verses in the Bible under that subject heading. For example. Gen 1:1......what is the subject? Creation. It gives you a page number. You turn to that page number in the "Subject" Bible and viola'!!! You have EVERY verse dealing with Creation. Not just the book, chapter and verse but entire verses all compiled in order, and written out for you. So you have it all in one volume.

You have the entire Bible without commentary (i.e. John McArthur, Scofield, Ryrie, Dake, etc.) in the first section, then you have the ENTIRE Bible written out by subject alphabetically. No cross references, per se. No commentary. No alternate readings. The ONLY thing following each text verse is the numbering system and definitions of archaic words. PERIOD.

If that ain't a "Study" bible I don't know what is. ALL other Study Bibles I have ever seen, (in ANY translation) are not Study Bibles. Rather, they are Commentary Bibles.

13. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Do you have one or do you know someone with one?

14. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I don't have one. The one I saw belonged to someone at church. It seems similar to a Thompson chain, but organized differently. I do have one of those and I really like it when I want to search a particular subject. They are much cheaper too, by the way.

I know what you mean about commentary Bibles. Some of them seem to have more commentary than Bible. :)

15. Keith M

Keith M New Member

That's a valid point, Jim. The vast majority of "study" Bibles are commentary Bibles. The commentary is often provided by folks who have done much studying themselves, but what they daliver is still commentary.

16. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Even 'deciding' what verses belong in which category, under 'subject', unless the word in the subject heading is found in them, is 'commentary' of a sort, for that, too, is a subjective judgment. I will grant that some have even far more "commentary" than do some others, for example the Scofield, Ryrie or Dakes, to name three, have far more than, say, Thompson's Chain Reference, IMO. Nevertheless Thompson's (and I would assume Dr. Gaddy's, as well) still has subjective judgments, hence is still "commentary" albeit sub silento, which incidentally means (since I do use that Latin phrase somewhat regularly) "without expressly saying so".

That in no way means that any or all of of the above are not good Study Bibles, for what purpose they were intended, although I cannot speak with any personal specific knowledge about either Dakes or Dr. Gaddy's.

Ed

#16 EdSutton, Jul 16, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2007
  17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I agree. Good points to consider.
    From what I can glean from the advertising for this bible, Dr. Gaddy has tried to avoid all subjectiveness in compiling subject matter. (????)
    As far as I can tell, Dr. Gaddy has simply listed verses in each subject which contain that word, i.e. creation, created, create, etc.
    This is why I am asking about this Bible; to see if anyone has it. Or if they have looked at it well enough to know if it is as the advertising says it is.

Thanks bro, for your contribution.