1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need help finding web sites for SBC and IFB colleges & seminaries.

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Plain Old Bill, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Right on. And then I never fully trust anybody with credentials from a liberal school.

2. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Many of us knew that years ago. It was deliberate.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Are you sure we can trust anyone from any school anymore? There are liberals and conservatives in most every school today. There are crooks and politicians in each of them.

4. Plain Old Bill

I think we need to do due diligence on the schools we select to go to or recommendto others.

5. Plain Old Bill

In addition it is easy to find amongst some of the wonderful school group yhose who have no language requirements right up to the MDiv level.So the what is or is'nt being taught is as important as to who is doing the teaching and where they were educated and what thier views are.

6. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

I thought we had worn out that "MDiv without Biblical Languages" before? HA! The thought just made me reminisce (sp?).

sdg!

rd

7. Plain Old Bill

To me that would beg the question of : What is the difference between a MDiv from Bethany,LBU,or a wonderful school MDiv.?I would suggest not much.

8. Plain Old Bill

I guess to put things in a practicle perspective,if I were on a pulpit committee I would give more value to a degree or traning from LBU,Bethany,Covington,or Tyndale then I would a graduate from any of the Liberal schools especially the Ivey league schools.I've seen and listened to some of these talking heads on NBR and PBS,the foolishness and unbelief that comes out of thier mouth is incredible.We have a couple of liberally educated folks on our board and we can see how messed up they are in their belief of the Bible and sound theology.I say if you don't believe the Bible is God's Word from cover to cover, If you don't believe that Jesus Christ was born of a virgin,lived a perfect life,died on the cross ,arose again three days later,is the virtual Son of God and sits at His right hand,that only through Jesus Christ are we saved,He only can forgive our sins and save us,then you have Nothing to teach me,in addition to these unbelie4vers I say ,"quit your job you hypocrite,go out and get an honest job".

9. Plain Old Bill

Just so we are clear I am not including those who recieved secular degrees from a liberal school and then went on to get thier Christian education in a good sound Bible college and seminary.

10. NateT

NateT Member

While I can agree with your sentiment, I'm not sure I'd agree with your application. Especially after some of the people I've met from the Ivey League schools. However, most of the people I've met from the Ivey League seminaries would not be looking for a pastorate, but rather a research/teaching position.

Danny Akin, who many consider one of the finest preachers in the SBC, graduated from UT Arlington. He sat under a Jesuit Priest who denied a ton of orthodox teachings. Yet, I wouldn't accuse Danny of a single ounce of liberalism.

The school is a good indication, but it still up to the individual person whether they buy into it or not.

11. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

I think it is one of the "ironies of life" that you are so ultra-conservative and almost a hyper-fundamentalist in that wasteland of liberalism in America's great North West. That whole "Left Coast" as Rush Limbaugh calls it, needs a very strong and regular dose of what you and other brethren believe and put out.

I comment you for your stand in holding hard and fast to the great doctrinal integrity of our forebearers.

FOR (for the record), I say this with honesty and sincerity. There is not one grain of sarcasm in my statement. Sometimes the "real sense" of the intention is lost via this medium.

We have not always been on the "same theological page" as it were; but our zealous hearts have always been kindred spirits!! AMEN?

"Gotta' love it!"

I salute you!!

sdg!

rd

12. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

It might help you to temper your critique of those who have studied in the so-called "liberal" institutions if you had one other piece of information.

This info also might tie to the observation made about the SBC being somewhat "inbred." And believe-you-me that is not an unfounded observation by any means.

Many (maybe not as many as I think) have gotten their Master's level work at the "SBC Six" and then go to an "Ivey League" or "studied abroad" (read Oxford, Cambridge, et al), or have gone to a "secular" or "state university" for their terminal degree. This, by-the-by is what I did.

This does help in some ways:

1. It lets you know what is really going on in the broader academic world.

2. It helps the school where you teach b/c you have "outside" and "world class" academic credentials. This helps with RA and ATS accreditation.

3. Personally and from my perspective, it does round you out so that you can see what and how the different world faith traditions and Christian denominations see and feel.

So, please do not "throw out the baby with the bath water!" And I am in no way saying that you are. But, sometimes a terminal degree outside of one's denom, or even one's tradition, is really worth getting. Then, the real learning, as some of us see it, can begin.

"Food for thought!" from and old guy!

sdg!

rd

13. Plain Old Bill

Rhet,
    I have had lot's of time to get to know you. And I know you have a heart for God and a love for our Lord Jesus Christ and God's Word.But uyou don't have the time to get to know someone who candidates for a pulpit committee like we have gotten to know each other.

In reality if I did'nt rule out someone with a degree from a liberal school I sure would take a lot of time to get a really good look at him and get to know his heart.I am certainly not a Heartland guy.But when you trust somebody with your pulpit and the leadership of your church you have to get it right.We would be discussing Bible doctrine in great depth.

14. Plain Old Bill

Nate,
    Some truth to what you say. Read my remarks to Rhet.
    Just because I would'nt give my pulpit to a person educated in a liberal seminary(generally speaking)does'nt mean I would'nt fellowship with him.
    By the way are you still considering LBU?

15. NateT

NateT Member

POB,

Must have the wrong Nate. I've never considered LBU [​IMG] I've considered Yale, Baylor, Princeton (just kidding). After I'm done at SBTS, I don't plan on getting any more formal education.

16. Plain Old Bill

You are a funny guy. We do have another Nate here on the board sorry.

17. Rhetorician

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    POB,

There is one further dynamic that needs to come into the mix I would think.

That is this: What one considers for the pulpit ministry would be completely different than what one would consider for the; teaching ministry of the Bible college/Christian Liberal Arts University/Denominational School/Seminary/or Graduate School of Religion?

Agree?

sdg!

rd

18. Plain Old Bill

I would genearally agree with that statement.A professor in a seminary would need a broader base education then a pastor would. The professor would however need to have his doctrine and theology straight.I have no problem discussing different positions as long as we settle on the correct one in the end.

By the way I have generally found people who agree with me are among the brightest folks I know. :D [​IMG]

19. Bob Dudley

Bob Dudley New Member

I didn't read all the posts above but one college/seminary is Washington Bible College/Capital Bible Seminary.Their web site is:

www.bible.edu

They are associated loosely with the IFCA (Independent Fundamental Churches of America). The staff consists of a very interesting mix of 4 point Calvinists and Biblicists - no Arminians allowed.

I am graduating from there in a couple of weeks and Calvibaptist went there (I think back in the stone age or something like that ;) ). So I know it produced at least one Biblicist/Fundamentalist and one Calvinist - I guess that's fair.