1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need help relating to spam

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by exscentric, May 12, 2006.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Can anyone explain how a spammer can send out spam using my domain? I get dozens of returned email messages addressed to names at my domain.com

Usually garbage names like [email protected]

Is there anyway to stop this from happening.

It has happened now and then for a few days at a time, but this time its been over a week and they are still coming in.

Any assist would be great.

2. standingfirminChrist

I was getting that type of junk in my guestbook on my web page.

I just removed the guestbook.

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

This is exactly how to prevent it:

1. Configure your mail delivery daemon to prevent someone from directly connecting to your SMTP port to send spoofed email to other sites.
    2. Ensure that your mail delivery daemon allows logging and is configured to provide sufficient logging to assist you in tracking the origin of spoofed email.
    3. Consider a single point of entry for email to your site. You can implement this by configuring your firewall so that SMTP connections from outside your firewall must go through a central mail hub. This will provide you with centralized logging, which may assist in detecting the origin of mail spoofing attempts to your site.

5. PJ

PJ Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow, that sounds complicated. But if it works, I'm all for it! :cool:

We had the same problem at work a while back, receiving emails from each other that weren't actually from each other. Strange, it was ... but the tech guy fixed the problem and now we're a-okay!

[​IMG]

6. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Say what? I don't read Greek :D I found a setting in outlook that requires authentication for outgoing email, it was shut off. Will try that and see what happens, if not I will email your message to the ISP and see if they can do it on their end.

I don't have any email available on the site, so they have to be just using the ISP some how.

Thanks for the help! [​IMG]

7. MRCoon

MRCoon New Member

Well do you control your website/domain? Most mail services are controlled by the user through the website control panel. It is important to be certain that to use your domain email the 'user' must have a valid username and password before sending messages and/or all unassigned mesages are automatically deleted. Yes, you should be able to do this yourself through the wesbites control panel or by calling your ISP ;)

I wrote in GEEK not Greek [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just upload files to a directory, they take care of the rest. There is no email connected with the website itself. They set up the domain name information etc.

It is run by the city library and I'm not sure how sharp they are, they say there is nothing they can do about the problem.

They are about to go out of business I think from what I hear. I'm in the process of setting up elsewhere.