1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need help with Audacity

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Gayla, Jan 1, 2005.

1. Gayla

Gayla New Member

I recently downloaded Audacity and would like to export as MP3 files. The program tells me I need something called LAME, but I can't find where to get the LAME file . . . .
    any help would be greatly appreciated. [​IMG]

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Go to this site: http://mitiok.free.fr/

Download the lame-3.96.1 - France. md5: ff7cca95ed22552883be960c1f2d85ca

It is the first one. Don't download the bit torrent, IMO. The regular one is much easier. YOu install it and then when you export from audacity, you just have to tell it where the lame_enc.dll file is. I think it is that simple.

3. Gayla

Gayla New Member

Thanks, Pastor Larry, will give it a try.

4. Dale

Dale New Member

I can also email you this file if you have problems. Is Audacity working well for you?

I have the program but it is hard to use for me because I am used to Pro Tools and Audacity is sooo limited campared to PT.
    Of Course I paid almost $400 for the hardware and software. :)

5. Dale

Dale New Member

Oh, also try iTunes from www.itunes.com
    It is a great program and can do a number of conversions, including mp3 from the wav files from audacity. It is also a great way to manage your CD collection, I have every CD I own on my computer and I manage it alll with iTunes. Very good program. BTW, you will need Win XP or 2000 or Mac OS X to run it though, out of luck with Win 98.

6. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I wish I could have tried protools, but I wasn't going to pay $400 or downgrade to ME or 98 :D ...

I haven't had any problems with audacity, but I haven't done much with it yet. I recorded some special music from church to experiment with and I recorded a couple of messages. We did edit out the part where I hit the microphone with my hand. The first one we successfully put on audio CD. The second one was from yesterday and I have to play with that one still. But I haven't done anything with MP3s or importing any files.

7. Dale

Dale New Member

You wouldn't want to use PT on ME or 98 anyway, it was never very good until XP was released.
    The only way to used Pro Tools without paying a fortune is to use an Audiomedia III card but they can only be found on eBay etc. for about $100. I think that for what you are doing though Audacity is just fine.

8. Gayla

Gayla New Member

All I've done so far is record one song, from audio cassette, into Audacity. Exported it as a wav file, and put it in Real Player, but it won't put wav files on a CD.

9. Dale

Dale New Member

iTunes will put wav files onto a CD.
    It also will put MP3 files on a CD or AAC or AIFF files.