1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

need help with vacation plans

Discussion in 'Travel Forum' started by BM, Apr 27, 2004.

1. BM

BM New Member

My husband and I are thinking about going to Yellowstone National Park around the middle of July and we know nothing about the area so I was wondering if anyone could tell me if we will need to make reservations ahead of time. We are not sure what we will do along the way(since we will be driving and site seeing). I'm sure Dr. Bob can help me on this one surely [​IMG] ..........Becky

2. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

Here's a link to the National Park Service's Yellowstone Park website. It looks like camping and other lodging reservations are required.

http://www.nps.gov/yell/

Have Fun !!

3. BM

BM New Member

Thanks James for the info...........Becky

4. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely. And reservations not just IN the park, but depending on which directions you're going in/out you would be wise to lock in rooms asap.

Give me a minute and I will share some ideas on what else to do.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Day 1 - Arkansas to Denver is about 900 miles. 14 hours driving (gain an hour time change) and can do it in a day

Day 2 - Denver to Casper, then Thermopolis 400 miles. Includes Wind River Canyon and then world's largest hot springs.

Day 3 - Thermopolis to Cody, then into Yellowstone, 150 miles total. Lots of time after settling in (at campground or inn)

Day 4 - in Yellowstone

Day 5 - in Yellowstone

Day 6 - south into Grand Teton National Park and sight see (50 miles). Overnight in Jackson

Day 7 - southeast over Togwotee Pass to Lander and South Pass and down to Rawlins and Cheyenne, about 400 miles

Day 8 - back to Arkansas

Obviously you can spend more time in Wyoming if you have more days. Let me know if you'd like a list of 20 great places on the way to/from Y'stone where an hour or two break from driving would be well worth it. Most are natural or historic sites and free.

6. BM

BM New Member

Thank-You Dr. Bob, Thats just about what I was looking for except we thought we might come back through Col. Springs and spend a day. 8 days is about what we were thinking.Were not interested in camping or etc. just viewing God's creation! We have another couple going with us so we will need a place to stay with 2 bed rooms,Is there hotels close to the park or would we need to stay in a town close by? Also I like the idea of staying a night in Jackson.

Yes please send me the info on the places we could stop and visit.Your such a nice man!!

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are cabins in Yellowstone, along with Old Faithful Inn (and others). Many have "shared" bath down the hall, so don't expect Holiday Inn.

Jackson is VERY expensive. Many folks opt to stay in Yellowstone, then leave and spend the day in Grand Teton (adjoining park) and then head east to Dubois or Lander and catch a less expensive place to stay.

Colo. Springs is fantastic - a whole destination in itself. The Cog Incline Railroad is $25 a person but you park and it takes you to the top of Pike's Peak and back. Great, leisurely way to go.

Garden of the Gods is worth a coupla hours and free. Seven Falls at night is spectacular, but there is a cost.

Springs has some inexpensive motels if you google - we stay at a Holiday Inn that has an indoor pool and close access and it is $50 a night.

8. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Possible side/stops in Wyoming. Get a map and look at I-25 going north from colorado.

Just by Wheatland is Fort Laramie (small charge as a National Historic site) and Trail Ruts at Guernsey (free).

Between Douglas and Casper is Ayres Natural Bridge (free, 5 miles off the highway and a great stop). Only rock arch bridge with water flowing under it in the USA.

Casper has brand new 5-Trails Museum - crossing point of the Platte for Oregon, california, Pony Express, Mormon trails. Hands-on interactive displays.

If you leave I-25 and go west on 20-26 to Shoshone, then north through the Wind River Canyon, it is like driving on the bottom of the Grand Canyon. Amazing. And end up at Thermopolis where the largest (in volume) hot springs are. Then angle up a bit to Cody.

If you stay on I-25 north a hundre miles you get to Buffalo and head west on 16 over the Powder River Pass. It comes down in the basin and over to Cody - gateway to Yellowstone.

Cody has a great little rodeo (every night of the week), Shoshone River rafting. And Buffalo Bill Museums (5) that are to die for. Art museum, gun museum, artifacts.

9. BM

BM New Member

Boy were you right about making reservations ahead of time Dr. Bob, we couldn't find what we were needing in Yellowstone Park so we reserved a cabin in Dubois for 2 days and will go from there. Then head down toward Colorado Springs visting some of the sites you were talking about along the way. Do you think we will need to make reservations in Colorado Springs ahead of time? We have been there before (but not the couple thats going with us) and seemed like they had a lot of hotels. Enjoyed the Cog and plan on doing it again. Thank-you again for your help........Becky

10. BM

BM New Member

Dr. Bob, wanted to let you know we just got back from our vacation in Wy. and we had a great time. Very nice people up your way. We couldn't believe the first night we got to Dubois, there were no air conditioning in the cabins, but we seen real quick that we didn't need it!!

Also on our way to Colorado Springs we went around by Aspen, and OH MY GOODNESS :eek: if you have ever been through Independence Pass you know what I'm talking about, I was scared stiff!!

Beautiful country and also got to see 2 bears, an Elk and some things that look kinda like our deer. Loved the snow covered mountains.