1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need non-bleach cleaning solutions for tile

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by abcgrad94, May 17, 2012.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Since we have a septic tank, I cannot use anything with bleach to clean the bathroom. The shower tile has ugly dark mold and I cannot get it off just using vinegar and a toothbrush. Any ideas? The vinegar is also not getting the ring inside the toilet.

I don't want to hurt the septic, but I really want to get the bathroom CLEAN!

2. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

I use bleach in my septic all the time, but the best product out there for bathrooms is Comet Bathroom SPRAY. It is citric acid and you want to spray it on while holding your breath and the walk away for a couple of minutes while it works. It's not fumey at all, but it hangs in the air as you spray it and is unpleasant to breath. But it has to soak anyhow for a minute or two to really pull off those rings/mold and by the time that happens you'll only smell the mild smell of the spray.

Then take a majic eraser and all that gunk should just wipe away.

My second thought, but it takes a LOT more elbow grease it to mix vinegar with baking soda and use a scrub brush (this will clean your drains at the same time). I've done this before too, in a pinch, but it really isn't my fav. You'll want to wear gloves with this method.

Good Luck!

3. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Bartender's Friend, a brush, and elbow grease.

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I agree - we have a sceptic system and always use bleach. I even use bleach to unclog the bathroom drains! (Pouring a few cups of bleach, letting it sit while I get a full kettle of water to boil then pour the boiling water down the drain. It always works for the gunky bathroom sinks!

5. DiamondLady

DiamondLady New Member

We use bleach constantly here...laundry, cleaning etc., and we have a septic system. Have been in this house 12 years in August and never had a single, solitary problem.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's good to know about the bleach, and I'll use it as a very last resort if I must. I'm so allergic, though, that I try to use other remedies when possible.