1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

need opinions

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by buckster75, Dec 9, 2005.

1. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Our church voted this past Wed. to stop having Wed. night and Sunday night services. The reason stated was that with heating bills going up the church can not afford it. Any thoughts?

2. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

God never told us we have to meet Sunday morning, Sunday night, and Wednesday night.

3. buckster75

buckster75 Member

so when do we meet?
    you must meet sometime or you are forsakeing the assembly. Oh wait if this keeps up there won't be an assembly.

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Possibly - God simply said not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together. The Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wed night is a relativgely new tradition.

Not that I would back the church's action, but it is hard to give Bible reasons for the three services a week.

5. Psalm 100

Psalm 100 New Member

How large is your assembly? Would it be possible to break out and meet in member's homes on Wednesday (or another) night for bible study? This would also encourage deeper fellowship amongst newer members.

6. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I did the same things in a church when I became their pastor. The people were tired of going to church so much that they were not meeting their neighbors and doing ministry. When I did that the peope did not do anything for a fews months. In fact they were somewhat frustrated. I started a Bible study for those who wanted to come. Eventually those people started their own Bible studies with people they met in the community. The church is still doing the same things today after several years later. That was the best thing we did to encourage the people to learn to do ministry. The average person in the Bible studies I led was in the Bible about one hour each day. Sermons could never produce that kind of time in the Bible.

More meetings does not guarantee more ministry and more fruit. Too many meetings just yields more weakness.

A huge diet of personal and small group Bible study is better than a huge diet of sermons.

7. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Part of the reason I have a problem with it is we just paid a great deal of money to the assoc. and then want to cut services because "the church can't afford it". Does this not also show a lack of faith that God will provide?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

We usually have Wednesday night prayer meeting in the choir room so we don't have to heat the whole auditorium.
    God just said not to forsake assembling, He didn't say how often that is, as long as we weekly attend church.

9. buckster75

buckster75 Member

The church is very small. Some Wed. only 4-6 people. But these never miss a service and the ones voting it out never come to anything but morning worship. no SS, Wed or Sun night.

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

There is nothing to keep those of you who want to meet Sunday night or Wed night from meetings in your homes or such is there?

11. DavidsonBap

DavidsonBap New Member

Exactly C4K. I know of a church that does it; rotates to various houses of the members throughout the calendar year to study the bible.

If you can't pay the bills, you have to improvise if you really want a bible study.

12. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I know churches locally that share buildings. To accomodate this, one has Sunday school and assembly meeting in the morning, the other in the evening. In at least one case, one of them has youth groups on Wednesday, the other on Thursdays.

Why not? My wife got a shirt for me that says, "If I'm speaking, you should be taking notes". After I give a sermon, most of the members spend time studying during the week and looking at their notes so they are ready for the next week. The same applies to Sunday evenings. (Which really challenges them in keeping two lines going.)

13. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Sounds like it is time for the pastor to preach on giving your firstfruits again... Seriously though, the Lord can provide the money. Perhaps the thermostat just needs to be turned down a little, and turn up the heat on those who can afford to give more.

14. buckster75

buckster75 Member

The comment of meeting in homes was made. One deacon responded that "meeting in someones home has nothing to do with the motion (which was to end wed and sun night servies) if someone wants to do that that is their business" .
    I feel like if it is not done (meeting in homes) under authority of the current church we have in a sense formed another church.
    This same deacon also commented that the business meetings had to take place in the church(building).

15. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

A deacon is a servant, not an elder. Sounds as if he's overstepping his authority.

However, any church that told me that I could not meet in my home with others would soon be my ex-church.

16. cojosh

cojosh New Member

****************More meetings does not guarantee more ministry and more fruit. Too many meetings just yields more weakness.

A huge diet of personal and small group Bible study is better than a huge diet of sermons

Do you ever feel like people are churched to death? Can church attendance be overemphasized to the point were people think that attending church is the most admiral thing you can do for Christ?

17. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I don't think so, personally. I find that when I am walking with God, I desire to be around my brothers and sisters and hear the word more. When church starts feeling like a burden, I need to examine myself and find out whats up with that. If there is something in a persons life that needs to be dealt with, I think God will usually deal with those things through the preaching of the word. Plus I love to hear a good sermon. [​IMG]

18. buckster75

buckster75 Member

Wed night there is no sermon and Sun night it is very laid back on most occations.

19. bapmom

bapmom New Member

I agree with you buckster, that if you guys have any organized Bible studies at your homes it should be under your local church. But that could easily be taken care of, couldn't it? I mean get your pastor's approval, and ask if he can announce it this Sunday morning.

20. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

Absolutely. Sometimes, it is simply discipline that makes it so that you go. However, that discipline comes from a desire for communion; both with your brothers and sisters and with God. However, even if it takes discipline and effort, if it becomes a burden, check things out.

A good sermon will provide good Bible study and edification for the saved, unless you're conentrating on evangelizing within the church.