1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need recipes or marinades for pork

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by abcgrad94, Mar 1, 2010.

1. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    We ordered 1/2 hog for the first time and I'm very disappointed. It has no flavor. The bacon, ham, and pork chops all taste the same (I guess when you get it like this it isn't smoked or anything.)

I can't bring myself to eat ham that tastes just like a pork chop! So, besides smothering it with BBQ sauce and cooking it in the crockpot, what else can I do? And what do I do with tasteless bacon? It doesn't even smell good when I cook it! I tried using some hickory smoke salt on it, but there wasn't much improvement in the taste.

Ugh. I never realized plain pork tasted so. . .tasteless. Help!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Most likely brining will help get some flavor out of it. I'm surprised the ham doesn't have much flavor though! I'd go to www.allrecipes.com to find some help. Sorting the recipes that I find on rating has never failed me.

3. JMSR

JMSR New Member

Sevaral things. Buying a whole or half hog is tricky because the flavor greatly depends on the fat content of the meat, just like beef. You want a big, fed out, fat sow. Brining will help keep moisture in the meat, but for more flavor you want to add something to the brine. Some kind of juice, cola, etc. helps, depending on what your shooting for. the ham, not being smoked, is not going to taste much different than the rest if you don't work on it. The number 1 thing I would recommend is injecting it. You can buy ready made stuff, or I like to take some cajun seasoning and mix with unsalted melted butter and do it. If you have a grill you can indirectly smoke the ham, then finish it in the oven. Loins and chops are good grilled or smoked.

4. Friend of God

Friend of God Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cider Pork Chops
    Prep: 5min, Total Time: 25 mins. Yield 4 servings

2-Tbsp. all-purpose flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    4-bone-in pork loin chops [1/2 in thick and 7 ozs. each]
    1 Tbsp. canola oil
    1-cup sliced celery
    1/2 cup sliced green onions
    2-tsp. minced garlic
    1/4 tsp dried thyme
    1-cup apple cider or unsweetened apple juice

IN a large re-sealable plastic bag combine the flour, salt, and pepper. Add the pork chops and toss to coat. In a large skillet, brown the chops in oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Remove and keep warm.

IN the same skillet, saute the celery, onions, garlic, and thyme for 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Return Pork Chops to the pan. Add the cider. Bring to a boil.Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-8 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads 160degrees. Serve with a slotted spoon.

5. donnA

donnA Active Member

Probably because the bacon and ham have not been smoked, otherwise all it is is plain pork, fresh ham is nothing but pork, nothing interesting about it. Most people smoke it, cure it or have it put in sausage. Bacon si only bacon if it's smoked.
    Cook your ha like a roast, with veggies and all, baked is real good, add stuff to it, garlic, rosemary and thyme.
    I agree, marinade injector is perfect, but I beleive I'd make my marinade, I've never had those injectable ones that tasted good.
    A good sauce to glaze pork with is, just take a jar of preserves, whatever you like, orange marmelade, apricot, cherry, heat it ina bowl, and start adding stuff, like garlic, or ground ginger and sot sauce, or dijon mustard or even better a graniy mustard, a few herbs.
    Not many people buy a hog, whole or half and leave it plain, it's either smoked or cured or make sausage, to keep as is are the pork chops, tenderloin and ribs and a few other pieces.

6. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the suggestions. Last night I fixed some chops in the crock pot and used some Asian seasoning from Pampered Chef. They turned out delicious.

I had assumed buying bulk hog was like buying bulk beef. Now that I know better, I'll know what to get next time.

7. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'll help you more when I get home, probably e-mail but in the meantime, start pricing grinders.
    Don't worry, there's a lot you can do. If there's any of it you haven't frozen, save it out for bacon and ham. It's not going to be hard to cure. If it's already frozen, there are still other things to do with it.

8. abcgrad94

abcgrad94 Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gina, the hog came sliced and packaged as chops, ham, ribs, bacon, and sausage. The sausage is unseasoned, so it's just really ground pork. It is all frozen.

9. donnA

donnA Active Member

Look up a few recipes for sausage, it's easy to season it yourself. If that bacon isn't cure, grind it for sausage too.
    We once ate supper at some friends hous, she made the most awesome pork roast froma fresh ham, probably the best either of us has ever eaten. And she wasn't even a herbs and spices kind of person.