1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Need some help. Old folks. Dwindling church.

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Jkdbuck76, Jul 21, 2012.

1. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

Don't let them reopen as the same church.
    If you accept the call to plant it be sure to study what the Bible says about elders and deacons thoroughly. Then pick elders who are really elders and have them function as such. The same goes for deacons. Don't let the lines get blurred. As for other ministries, like building and grounds....have people on the crew that have the skills and then let them be free to do what they need to do without running back in for meeting after meeting.

2. Crucified in Christ

Crucified in Christ New Member

Wise suggestions that will help avoid many problems that plague churches.

As an example, I have seen churches that had so many committees structured in varying layers that it literally took months to get anything accomplished. The reasoning is always "caution", but the result is generally an utter lack of results.

3. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

I know a pastor that insisted on the changes I just suggested, so they are not mine. The result was more involvement. People were encouraged, and empowered, to use their God given skills and gifts to minister to one another and the community.

I know it sounds crazy but setting aside tradition to follow the examples of Scripture seems to work.

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JKD..... Are you seriously considering taking this on? Are you a Pastor?

5. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

He may very well be one, although in an earlier post he said is not one (based on not having the education).

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    JKD, I would like to suggest that if you do not have experience in this, that you find someone that has been there & done it before & have him set guidelines......without the experience, I fear this will be a bear (as in Grizzly) ....either you will end up eating the bear or the bear will eat you. From what your telling me, my money is on the bear!

7. mont974x4

mont974x4 New Member

You could ask, temporarily, to have 2 or 3 other men join your leadership team. They need to be qualified elders.

There are also a lot of church planter resources available.

8. Jkdbuck76

Jkdbuck76 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I was asked by our regional missionary to consider presenting myself to the church planting board of our State. IF my wife and I passed the evaluations, we'd then be entered into months of training, then join the helping church.

They are looking for a bi-vocational person who can preach. I was licensed to the ministry a few years ago. However, I have no Bible college / seminary experience. I study a LOT. I listen to as much theology as I can on the drive time---lot's of college courses out there for the downloading from Baptist colleges. Again, they said they would train me and that I'd have three mentors. They want me because I'm organized, doctrinally-sound (though not as well-learned), from THAT town and the remaining people requested me.

Occupationally speaking, I do customer service for a living. I listen to people gripe all day and get my head bitten off for helping to fix people's problems. I know the ministry is NOTHING LIKE THAT AT ALL :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I told my wife that I think it would be best for us to stay put in our home church and focus our abilities on our own Children's church and youth ministries.... my dream is to take our struggling youth program and grow it, God-willing. I see it this way: why have two churches on the skids when you can have one strong one? The other church is already gone. However, it would be a great opportunity to witness to my lost family members in my hometown in a unique way.

In any case, the Lord knows if the church plant will work and if He is in it, then He already has His man on the way to the pulpit.

9. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This would only work if you have some Welsh Blood to drive you....:smilewinkgrin: without it your doomed. :laugh:

10. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

I don't know what that means. But my family is from Wales! Came to the USA in the 1860's.

11. Alive in Christ

Alive in Christ New Member

Scarlette...

That teaching you gave your church group was just *wonderfull*!

Good job, sister. :wavey:

#31 Alive in Christ, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2012
  12. Alive in Christ

Oh great.

Those girls just showed up again. :BangHead:

I wish the administraters could find a way to block them.

13. Alive in Christ

Wait...

They are gone now. :godisgood:

Maybe the ones in charge DID get some sort of eliminator!

If so...THANK YOU!!

14. Earth Wind and Fire

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It means your already blessed! :love2::laugh:

Go back into your families archives & note how they conducted church.... some serious Bible Believing people those Welsh. Read about the Welsh revivals & you will be enlivened!:thumbs:

15. Jkdbuck76

Site Supporter

There was a mention in our family history of ONE preacher in Wales. No other preachers in the family but me.

UPDATE: I preached at the soon-to-be-closing church yesterday and will be doing so again this Sunday. At 35, I'm blessed that all my grandparents are still alive! I invited all of them and they came. My maternal grandfather has not set foot in church for 20 years. The Lord was dealing with him---I could tell.

In any case, this church closes its doors on Sept 9th. It will stay that way for at least 90 days. And if they find the proper church planter (NOT ME), it will re-open.

It has been a great chance to preach in my hometown and particularly to my family members who consider themselves "saved" but never set foot in a church. I hope that they feel a God-given and God-commanded need to fellowship.

Thanks to everyone for listening to my ramblings. To any Mod out there reading this, I'd say go ahead and close this thread out.