1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need some help with quotations......

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Scarlett O., Jul 20, 2007.

1. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to be teaching 4th grade at a Christian school next year. Although I am a public school proponent, since I have retired, I am just helping out where I can.

I will be teaching American history, science, bible, and spelling.

For my American history classes, I want them to have the opportunity to accrue some bonus points by memorizing and reciting inspirational and/or famous quotes by important Americans.

I used to have a list years ago, but I lost it. :BangHead: :BangHead:

Would some of you please contribute some quotes by famous or even not-so-famous Americans to add to the list I am now starting over with?

Here is what I am looking for.

• uplifting quotes (not necessarily religious)
    • represented by all Americans (men and women, all races, all walks of life)
    • quotes that can be turned into a history lesson
    • quotes that will challenge young students to be better Americans
    • brief enough for a child to memorize
    • interesting, unique, comical, somber, .......anything with great meaning
    But most importantly.....quotes that will cause them to think and ask "why?" or "what does that mean?"
    Thanks in advance. I'm starting my list right now.

2. Hopeful

Hopeful New Member

I quickly tried to google up a quotations list that would help, but it's an exhausting task to wade through it all and that way of compiling quotes won't go quickly, as you probably already discovered.

I think this is an excellent idea--I would have loved to have you as a teacher! A history teacher that wants to make history more than just dates and numbers is what every child needs!

Okay, so here's one:
    "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind". Neil Armstrong at moon walk.

I love all things astronomy, so this has always been a fave quote. The historical context is obvious. The religious angle is as well, to me at least--how magnificent to see God's creation from that vantage point! The "challenge to be a better American" angle--hmmm, maybe along the lines of discussing what great goal each kid might have to be "the first at" and how it can impact the country?

And, as an aside, you could even include the fact that Armstrong left out "a" before "man" from the originally scripted statement! Oops, but that would put you into the realm of the grammar teacher, wouldn't it?? :)

3. Ps104_33

Ps104_33 New Member

4. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
  5. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Hey Scarlett,

I'd say many of Mark Twain's quotes would meet your criteria. Here's some samples and a pretty good resource at the bottom.

We are called the nation of inventors. And we are. We could still claim that title and wear its loftiest honors if we had stopped with the first thing we ever invented, which was human liberty. - Foreign Critics speech, 1890

In the beginning of a change the patriot is a scarce man, and brave, and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot.
    - Notebook, 1904

It is curious that physical courage should be so common in the world, and moral courage so rare.
    - Mark Twain in Eruption

(Source: http://www.twainquotes.com/index.html)

7. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks! Thanks! Thanks!

All of this is exactly what I am looking for. :applause:

8. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Love your new signature Scarlett! Wherever did you get it?

9. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It just "came to me" .............you know, like bricks landing on my head. :tonofbricks:

;) .....:saint: :saint:

10. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

I used to "assist" with Dale Carnegie courses. Through them I got a book called Dale Carnegie's Scrapbook. You used to only be able to get them through Dale Carnegie courses, but I bet you could find one around through EBay or such. It is the finest book of quotes I've ever seen.

11. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

ROFL

from on DUW to another