1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need some help!

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by exscentric, Sep 11, 2009.

1. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm no historian but they were scattered across quite an area. "to the strangers scattered throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia, Asia, and Bithynia," 1.1

Caesar ultimately and maybe a local king/puppet would be my guess.

"Thayer Definition:
    1) leader of the people, prince, commander, lord of the land, king"

Vine mentions "is used of the Roman emperor in 1Pe_2:13, 1Pe_2:17" and also mentions the term is used of Herod and Christ.

2. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Comparing Scripture with Scripture, there is a limit and Peter himself gave that limit:

Acts 5:29 Then Peter and the other apostles answered and said, We ought to obey God rather than men.​

Voting him out is how we would obey God rather than men.

HankD​

3. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But does that give us license to dishonor him or just disobey where he counters God's command? Is there no way to honor the leader God set in place?

The context: "1Pe 2:12 Having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation.
    1Pe 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme;
    1Pe 2:14 Or unto governors, as unto them that are sent by him for the punishment of evildoers, and for the praise of them that do well.
    1Pe 2:15 For so is the will of God, that with well doing ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men:
    1Pe 2:16 As free, and not using your liberty for a cloke of maliciousness, but as the servants of God.
    1Pe 2:17 Honour all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honour the king."

#23 exscentric, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  4. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

The King then is the same as it is today. There is only one King in my life, that is my Lord and Saviour, the Son of the Living God, King of the Universe. Who is your king?

5. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The King then is the same as it is today. There is only one King in my life, that is my Lord and Saviour, the Son of the Living God, King of the Universe. Who is your king?"

Then you subscrib to the thought that the whole verse is related to religious rather than secular?

Can you fit that or just your specific that the king is Christ into the context?

6. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honor the office of the presidency by exercising the rights provided in the documents of our founding fathers.

The Declaration of Independence spoke against tyranny and the need to defeat that tyranny and establish a government with a system of checks and balances along with the guarantee of several rights to eliminate those who are found to be unfit to lead.

Today's method to eliminate tyranny and those who cannot/will not listen to the wishes of the people are found in the Constitution, namely the Bill of Rights, and the exercise of those rights without fear of reprisal (The right of Free Speech, the Right of Redress of Grievances, the Right of Assembly, the right of Association and most effective of all - the ballot box).

By this method I submit myself to the ordinances of man (Jefferson, Adams, Washington, Franklin, etc...) that "ye may put to silence the ignorance of foolish men" by the peaceful and non-violent elimination of said foolish men.

HankD

#26 HankD, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  7. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

One thing for certain, Christ fits into the entire Bible. Without Him, there would be no hope. I do not have to "fit Christ" anywhere. He does not ask nor need anyone to fit Him into scripture. If you as a Christian doubt that, then I am sorry for you. Christ was King, is King and will be King for all eternity whether you fit Him into scripture or not. He is there. YOU CANNOT REMOVE HIM. DON'T EVEN TRY.

8. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It seems Paul gave "honor" by recognizing the high priest even though the high priest was wrong.

Acts 23.2 And the high priest Ananias commanded them that stood by him to smite him on the mouth.
    Act 23:3 Then said Paul unto him, God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?
    Act 23:4 And they that stood by said, Revilest thou God's high priest?
    Act 23:5 Then said Paul, I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

10. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "One thing for certain, Christ fits into the entire Bible. Without Him, there would be no hope. I do not have to "fit Christ" anywhere. He does not ask nor need anyone to fit Him into scripture. If you as a Christian doubt that, then I am sorry for you. Christ was King, is King and will be King for all eternity whether you fit Him into scripture or not. He is there. YOU CANNOT REMOVE HIM. DON'T EVEN TRY."

Of course Christ is King, but is "King" in the passage we are discussing here speaking of Christ or an earthly king as the context seems to indicate? Surely you realize "king" does not always relate to Christ in the Scriputre.

Sorry if I am being unclear.

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Talking about "king" in this thread reminded me of that great sermon, that's why I posted it. I don't have anything else to add. Sorry. :)

12. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That guy has a lot more breath than I do - quite an idea!

13. SeekingTruth

SeekingTruth Member

6 But when Paul perceived that the one part were Sadducees, and the other Pharisees, he cried out in the council, Men and brethren, I am a Pharisee, the son of a Pharisee: of the hope and resurrection of the dead I am called in question.
    7 And when he had so said, there arose a dissension between the Pharisees and the Sadducees: and the multitude was divided.
    8 For the Sadducees say that there is no resurrection, neither angel, nor spirit: but the Pharisees confess both.
    9 And there arose a great cry: and the scribes that were of the Pharisees' part arose, and strove, saying, We find no evil in this man: but if a spirit or an angel hath spoken to him, let us not fight against God. (Emphasis added.)
    10 And when there arose a great dissension, the chief captain, fearing lest Paul should have been pulled in pieces of them, commanded the soldiers to go down, and to take him by force from among them, and to bring him into the castle.
    11 And the night following the Lord stood by him, and said, Be of good cheer, Paul: for as thou hast testified of me in Jerusalem, so must thou bear witness also at Rome.
    Acts 23:6-11 (KJV)

Christ did not condemn Paul for his outburst. Do you? Context is important. Paul rightly corrected the high priest as is indicated by the words the true King spoke. Paul was citing the law as it applied to a priest, a spiritual leader/ruler. Paul did not apologize for correcting the priest.

Even if he did, Obama is neither a spiritual leader nor a spiritual ruler. In fact he is not a ruler at all.

14. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I honor the president by asking God to send Him wisdom to protect the innocent, illuminate his mind and honor his vow to defend the Constitution from all enemies, foreign and domestic.

It is not a dishonor to the president for me exercise my right of free speech and redress my grievances against his policies but a right granted by the ordinance of man, which I fully intend to obey. Those rights also give me the freedom to question his judgment and yes even his motives if just cause is given.

This is not a theocracy or a kingdom but a republic of the people, by the people, for the people. The uniqueness of America is that our government serves the people not the other way around. If the people determine that the government is wrong concerning the law of the land we have the right to say so, and to associate with others who agree.

When those in power continue to not represent the wishes of the people after a rehersal of grievances, we exercise our rights and eject them from office via the ballot box.

HankD

15. exscentric

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    For the list based on the comments thus far can we suggest the following?

1. Pray for the office/position holder.

2. Attempt correction of any misdeeds/actions of the office/position holder. We can add that we are to use all methods available to us under the law under which we live. (Might we add that we should not detract from the office by our actions?)

3. Support the deeds and actions of the person where they are in line with Scripture.

This seems to be the thinking thus far, sorry if I've missed any. Prompt me if I have.

Might we add that there is an honor we should show to any human being in that they are created by God and are in His image? Not sure how we would show that honor other than by being civil, desiring to assist where we can etc.

Might we also add, praise God for what His plan is dictating presently in our nation? God does raise up and put down leaders so there must be a reason for what we are seeing. This in itself is honoring the office as we recognize God's rule over all things.

#35 exscentric, Sep 13, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  16. billwald

billwald New Member

>right granted by the ordinance of man

Where do I find this ordinance?

Does it also permit you to drive over the speed limit? Do you?

Did your parents teach you "manners?" Do civil manners need to be in some ordinance for you to be polite?

17. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Herod Agrippa II.

18. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you are asking me Bill, I already cited several documents, in particular the Bill of Rights.

I am not permitted to drive over the speed limit but I have done so and have been fined for doing so.

I don't remember my parents teaching me manners but I'm sure they did it at such a young age that I simply don't remember.

There is (as far as I know) no ordinance to be polite.

There have been situations in the Scripture which could be considered "impolite" by one who never sinned:

Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?​

HankD​

19. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This sounds very good. We should also pray for the well being of his family. He has enough distraction as it is.

I will admit that I have on occassion probably crossed the proverbial "line in the sand" when it comes to dishonoring the man, which in effect dishonors the office.

However when the truth is stated it sometimes appears to have that effect and perhaps rightfully so, as when Jesus called the pharisees a bunch of snakes.

HankD

#39 HankD, Sep 14, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2009