1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need some help

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by ashleysdad, Jul 21, 2011.

1. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Okay, here is the situation. Our church has just recently lost our music minister. We don't have the finances to hire someone to fill that spot so it seems to have fallen to me (the youth pastor) to step in. Normally it would be no big deal. I would just continue what we had been doing. Get together with the piano player and select to hymns. Well, that is the second part of the problem. Due to health issues and family matters our piano player is not exactly dependable. They maybe there one week and then not be there for a few weeks. I have very little music knowledge. I can sing but cannot play an instrument. We have no back up piano player (we have a couple in my youth group taking lessons but not ready yet). What I could really use are suggestions, ideas, information on resources, anything like that. We tried the acapella option, it didn't go over well. Is there software that I might be able to take advantage of, cds or anything. Honestly getting a little desperate. Oh one more thing, our church is mainly traditional but is open to a more blended approach and we do have some talented vocalists but again, at this time really no reliable musicians. Thanks for any help, it will be greatly appreciated!

2. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

We have a gifted pianist who just went through cancer.

The church purchased a relatively inexpensive keyboard with midi capability. Many if not most hymnals are now available in that format.

We just program in the hymns we choose and let her rip (the keyboard.)

Also some hymnals may be available with cd's of the music only. Then you just need a cd player.

Even less expensively, much contemp music and most hymns are available on cd and can be used.

Just pay your royalties where applicable.

3. rbell

rbell Active Member

The Baptist Hymnal and the Celebration Hymnal both offer this option.

May God bless you for stepping up and meeting this need! I've been in your shoes (a youth pastor stepping in to also do music). A couple of suggestions:

1. Make sure you have extra help, as you are wearing two hats now.

2. Think outside your church. If you are part of a Baptist association, ask them if you could "borrow" an instrumentalist for a while. If you're an indepenent church, ask some sister churches. When you explain your situation, I think there are many that might be willing to help. And don't forget the power of prayer!

If you really get in a bind, Nodak and I will come be your instrumentalists. Nodak plays a mean juice harp and gutbucket...and I am a virtuoso when it comes to playing the radio. :D :D

4. Winman

Winman Active Member

double post

#4 Winman, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2011
  5. Winman

Winman Active Member

Have any guitar players? Years ago our pianist had a serious heart attack and was out for nearly a year. I filled in on guitar. I wouldn't say guitar is as good as piano, but it was much better than A cappella.

There are lots of guitar players, so chances are you have one in the church. And there are many good sites now that show the guitar chords for traditional hymns.

6. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Thanks to everyone for the replies! We are, for the time being using cds hymns and some contemporary stuff. Long term we are looking to get a portable keyboard and go with that. Course that means that I will have to learn how to program it, (technology scares me)! I usually don't have much luck with anything tech savy. I know that there are digital options out there I just don't know where to look. As far as the guitar option goes, no we don't have any guitar players that are able to play. We have one that could but won't and we have a couple that would but are not able (yet). The biggest problem that I am running into is reliability. I have a flute player and a sax player that said they would LOVE to play for the worship service. They played once and we haven't seen them since (4 weeks ago). On the bright side this seems to have been a good thing for the youth group. I have a couple of talented vocalists in the youth that have really stepped up and helped with the worship. They are really excited at the chance to help out! Anyway, just wanted to say thanks for all the advice (specially the prayers)! If there are any more suggestions I would be open to hearing them, this is ALL new to me!! Not to sound to ignorant but somebody (Nodak?) mentioned a program or feature called Midi? What is it and how do I use it? Thanks again!

7. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Lifewayworship.com is a great resource. I lead the choir at my church for a while in addition to being pastor. This site was a great help in that every song in the Baptist Hymnal is available in mp3 format. I also used IWorship videos which are available from Integrity Music.