1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need Some More Advice On A Ministry Issue...

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Bro. Jeff, Apr 16, 2004.

1. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Brother Larry---I'm a "softie" but I would'nt hesitate to "put the gloves on" with anybody you've got! After I whip "the devil" out of 'im I'll take him and buy him a ice cream cone!

Ain't that the way that "Smokin' Joe" and Ali would do it???

2. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

Then what???? Then you have stooped to his level and shown yourself to be no different than him. The one thing people want is to pick a fight and they can't stand it when someone walks away with confidence rather than with fear. They can't stand someone who won't go toe to toe with them.

In sports it is a familiar thing for people to take cheap shots. They want you to retaliate and they can't stand it when people walk away. But when you retaliate, they get you off your game and you are going after him more than the game.

It is true also in life. The greatest lesson we can all learn is when to walk away. Leave the other guy standing there with his dukes up, frothing at the mouth, with no one to fight. Walk away, smile, and tell him to have a good one ...

My favorite line about fighting is, "I'll meet you out back in 10 minutes; If I am not there, start without me."

When we teach kids to fight, we get fighters and I think we have enough of those kinds of problems today. What we don't have is boys who are man enough to walk away from stupid people.

[​IMG]

3. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

There is several good answers here, but I do not agree that a physical confrontation is not always justified. I am now 54 years old and came from a ruff background. Fight first and then ask questions. When I came to the lord I put that all behind me. because of it and trying to do all I can to not get into physical battles it actually stirs some on to even bigger things.

I was in charge of a shop a couple of years ago and one man under me really has a bad temper. Just ask him something and he would fly off the handle. many times I had walked away from his cussing me and making strong words. I could have gotten rid of him but I felt sorry for him since he had young children and I knew he could not find a job quickly.

This went on for about two years. He was a little bigger then me, but I had always tried to show him love and compassion, and even talk to him about the lord, but he took me as being soft. One day he blew his stack at me and gave me a little push. That was the straw that broke the camels back. Actually his face got broke. I felt absolutely no conviction as being wrong for my action and would do it again under the same circumstances. By the way he never spoke harshly to me again. Also a couple of days later he admitted he was wrong and had harassed me for a long time and shook hands with me. After that I was not his enemy and we got along.

Fighting is not the first answer and not the second or third, but there does come a time sometimes when you just have to take a stand. We do it as a nation and we sometimes have to do to as an individual. If this bully will not listen to all reasonable reasoning and kindness then this youth who is being picked on needs to make a decision. The bible says that we are to be at peace with all men as much as it depends on us. Sometimes we just cannot help but take strong action since the other person will not allow peace.

Like I said it should not be the first reaction, but after all is exhausted and there is the possibility of them harming us because they think we are weak then we might have to take a stand.

The idea thta we are not a man unless we walk away from every bully is foolish and could be very dangerous. Teachig our children to be able to walk away is good, but teachig them that walking away is not always the thing to do when we have exhausted everything we can and are still being harrassed. Sometimes we have to pick our places of battle.

4. Mission Man

Mission Man New Member

This is a tough situation. I am 14 and sometimes face the same things but not this harsh. Jeez these guys must be real sissys. See the less friends the people that are getting picked on has the less it happens. See when i first became a Good open Christian i was picked on not to much cause im kinda big for my age and that happened until i started meeting people who were Christians and they had friends and it became 1 big circle and i am nolonger picked on instead people help me with my problems and i have been called to the Ministry and people talk to me about it like where i want to serve and things like that.

5. wayward son

wayward son New Member

"Either way, to me, this is a great chance to teach these two how to handle adversity with a Christian attitude."

I totally agree with PastorLarry. Even in adults, as I witness everyday, several men going at it toward one individual with insults. How he takes it makes all the difference. If it seems to bother him, he's in for a long day. If not, they get bored and move on.

Wayward Son

6. freeatlast

freeatlast New Member

You will find in the real world that bordom does not always set in before physical confrontation comes about.

7. wayward son

wayward son New Member

freeatlast?
    UNTIL physical confrontation comes about, that's the way it should be handled.
    As for the REAL WORLD! I've been there. On the wrong side of the tracks. The "poor white trash" as we were called. I stood up for the weak and fought their fights. I wasn't always around though. One kid I went to school with, killed himself because he never learned to deal with bullies. As for me. I have a felony record that will follow me for the rest of my life.
    When you and I where growing up, we fought with our fist. TODAY, when a kid gets whipped, he brings a gun to school for revenge.

Wayward Son
    It Does Finally Matter