1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need Some More Help

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by MargoWriter, Mar 31, 2005.

1. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Hey, I need some help. If for no other reason, to aliviate my mind so I don't have to apolagize for truth.

If you are for speaking in tongues today, PLEASE DON'T BOTHER POSTING.

Could people please recommend to me good books, Bible studies, web sites that show from scripture that the tongues movement of today is false?

There is so much out there that just makes my position (against tongues for today) look bad because it's poorly written or full of emotional hoopla.

Any help?

2. Grasshopper

Grasshopper Active Member
    Site Supporter

3. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just ask the person you are talking to to go to the local hospital and empty it and you can read about it in the paper in the morning.

4. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Thanks, grasshopper.

Exscentric, I'm not specifically looking for stuff against the healing movement (although that often goes hand in hand with tongues).

Anyone more resources? Anyone?

5. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    "Charismatic Chaos" by John MacArthur.

"The Corinthian Catastrophe" by George E. Gardiner.

"The New Testament and New Pentecostalism" by George W. Dollar.

That ought to be enough to get you started. [​IMG]

6. MargoWriter

MargoWriter New Member

Thanks. I have heard of the first one, but not the others. I'll look into them. [​IMG]

7. Craigbythesea

Craigbythesea Active Member

The most academically sound, fair, and objective treatment of this subject in a single volume is, in my opinion, the following:

Frederick Dale Bruner. A Theology of the Holy Spirit: The Pentecostal Experience and the New Testament Witness. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans/Publisher, 1970. 390pp. This work includes 31 a page bibliography and is a MUST read for an intelligent conversation on the matter of speaking in tongues today.

However, I would certainly also suggest that you very carefully and prayerfully read the following work that Brunner quotes from extensively:

Carl Brumback. Suddenly From Heaven: A History of the Assemblies of God. Springfield, MO.: Gospel Publishing House, 1961. 380 pp.

The following commentary on The First Epistle to the Corinthians should also be carefully and prayerfully read:

Gordon D. Fee. The First Epistle to the Corinthians. The New International Commentary of the New Testament series. Grand Rapids: William B. Eerdmans/Publisher, 1987. 880pp.

[​IMG]