1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Need your thoughts on "What is a friend?"

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Pastor Bob, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

I've been working on a sermon on the subject "Friend". (In particular, how Jesus is our friend.) Last night in our revival meeting, the guest speaker in the process of preaching causually mentioned a cliche' on friendship...

"A friend is someone who takes your part, while others tear you apart!"

Do you have a favorite cliche or 'one-liner' on what friendship is that you could share? Would appreciate hearing some from you folks.
    Thanks so much. God Bless!
    -Pastor Bob-

2. BibleBeliever

BibleBeliever New Member

ok...i don't know if this is an old post..but like anyway..i'm 22 and like i was called to mission work when i was 18..but i never did anything about it until last year..Through my BSU at school...(which seems more liberal than i like) :p I got to go to Montana for the summer to stay on an Indian Reservation...wow..what can i say...it's one thing to please GOD by going...but to be blessed while i'm there ..it was awesome..anyways...the spiritual oppression was soooo strong there I had to fully rely on GOD for every little bit of strength...I grew so much spiritually I could never explain it justly...but just to add response to what your question was...or comment If I did not have a friend like JESUS this summer I could not have done the things i did..I mean My prayer is no longer prayer...it's conversation with him..from the time i'm in the car until i get out at school...when i'm going down the hall
    He always listens to me
    He always walks with me to class
    HE's never to busy to go with me to the store or school or work
    HE's confronts me when i'm wrong...
    (even when I'm really wrong)
    HE's never ask me to do something that will hurt me
    Ok well as you can see i could go on...but i just want to say that the most awesome thing about it is i always have someone to talk to...my brother's car doesn't have a radio so like I'll be going to work and like i'm just a talkin a way and people look at me like yeah she's got problems lol anyway my class is startin lik 5 mins and i gotta go...if yu want i can send some more stuff [​IMG] I pray your day is awesome....

3. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

Thank you BibleBeliever!,
    You said A LOT in that post.
    God Bless,
    -Pastor Bob- [​IMG]

4. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

Hmmmm? Maybe I should re-state this:

Does anyone have some in-put of any kind that you could add to this?
    Thanks,
    Pastor Bob

5. Revelator

Revelator New Member

"who needs enemies when you've got friends like that"

I like this one alot(yes it sounds negative) but as a christian sometimes that is how it is. I have friends who are saved but the minute they get with their"other" friends they become almost an enemy.
    :eek:

6. Pastor Bob

Pastor Bob New Member

Revelator,
    Unfortunately you are very correct. I am glad you brought this up because that aspect needs to be mentioned when preaching on such a subject as this. I know I have let people down too, probably many times. Praise God Jesus is not like we can be sometimes.
    I see you are a student/preacher Revelator.
    God Bless you as you pursue your education and the awesome ministry you have been called too.
    -Pastor Bob- [​IMG]

7. BibleBeliever

BibleBeliever New Member

Well my favorite "scripture" about friendship is John 15:13..Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends....I think that's awesome..cause then in verse 14 it tell of how we are JESUS's friends if we do what HE tells us to...and i don't really take that as a declarative remark...just like if I love him...than nothing can stop me not even death..(which would be like saying..HE is our friend..)we as christians always have a choice...

In HIS name

8. Houstonian

Houstonian New Member

Wasn't Jesus called a friend of sinners?

9. Pastor Ken

Pastor Ken New Member

Jesus said, "I no longer call you servants, I call you friends....! The eraly church used that term alot more then we do today. Do a search through the New Testament and and you find they didn't call each other bro and sis but they called each other friends.