1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

'Neocon' -- The New L Word

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by 2 Timothy2:1-4, Oct 4, 2007.

1. 2 Timothy2:1-4

2 Timothy2:1-4 New Member

Today, the term is used derisively, but often inappropriately; liberals tend to call all conservatives neocons. Hard-core conservatives sometimes call moderate Republicans -- or "squishes" -- neocons. Paleocons (old-school Republicans who tend to be isolationist) call anyone who wants to intervene in a foreign conflict a neocon. Some fiscal conservatives and libertarians think all social conservatives are neocons. And, sadly, some anti-semites use it as a code word to attack Jewish conservatives -- or anyone who supports Israel as an ally ...

http://www.townhall.com/blog/g/4a0cef93-1350-4cc3-b51a-59953009cf6e

2. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

True, but only in the sense that it's extremely underused.

3. Ivon Denosovich

Ivon Denosovich New Member

*I* consider a neocon to be a would-be conservative riddled with contradictions. Consider what our Iraq policy would look like applied to Chicago. If man is molded by environment, then let's "invade" the slums w/ a couple thousand SWAT guys, kill the mean people, and then give buckets of cash away to everyone that pretends to like law enforcement. The only difference between my imaginary scenario and actual policy is that Republicans will concede that welfare won't moralize or stabilize Chicago. Ironically, increasing the scope of a flawed premise to include not just a city but an entire nation somehow transforms the badness into goodness with the added effect of letting Bush spread freedom as tritely as he would mayonnaise.

So, in my book a neocon (A/K/A compassionate conservative) believes that domestic welfare produces economic dependence but international welfare produces freedom.

#3 Ivon Denosovich, Oct 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2007
  4. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

Ulike liberal, i don't think neo-con is as well defined and as a result it does get thrown around way too many times. And when it is used, it is in a way to discredit whomever it is being used for.
    I heard Slick Willie Clinton use it in an interview snipet the other night...case in point.

5. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    A neo-conservative is really a misnomer as he believes in an expansive government domestically and an expansive government internationally, i.e., large government spending programs at home and foreign adventurism abroad. Neither of which is remotely conservative as the term has been used historically in these United States.