1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Net connection problem(s)

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by just-want-peace, Aug 29, 2002.

1. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I need some 'puter help real bad!!

I'm running IE-6, & Windows 98 SE.

Cannot get auto log-on for the net. I had it when I had W95; was offered the option of
    1) Auto log-on?, and
    2) Remember password? w/new system.
    However even when checked it never worked for either. Now I'm not even offered the option.

Can anybody tell me how to get this feature to work? I've tried everything that looked like it would work, and some that were just a wild guess, but so far zilch! :mad:

Also I'm having a lot of drops lately. I even subscribed to a second ISP to see if the ISP were the problem, but even though one is faster, it doesn't seem to affect the drops. Is this type problem more likely to be a computer or phone line problem? :confused:

Any & all assistance greatly appreciated!! [​IMG]

2. LindaB

LindaB New Member

ISP Drops: check your connection, you may have your timeout set very low, check you internet connection options. sorry i dont have time to type out exactly how to to that!
    ask your new ISP to tell you how to ping your computer to check connection, if it is not them, it is most likely your modem. OR your phone may be disconnecting you if it uses the same line as the computer, people call, you get kicked off.
    you may have to add a *9 to the dial up number to your ISP to bypass this, check with them
    ~Very important~
    do a scan disk/disk defrag to get rid of old files, clean out all of your cookies and your history folder, delete temp files, temp internet files,clean out the recycle bin, email folders, everything
    there are known problems with win98 win98SE,winME when working with IE6, you may have to upgrade windows or head on back to IE5 [​IMG]
    Here is a link to microsofts IE6 page, you can look to see if there is a patch you can use to help win98 work better with it
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/ie6/default.asp
    If i lived close Id come over and do it all for you! Im used to hands on troubleshooting!
    LindaB
    christiangraphicdesign.com

ps as far as your windows logon
    I disabled mine and its been years since I used win98, sorry cant help you with that!

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks! Will try the recommened!