1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Network Programmers Baffled

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by carpro, Mar 9, 2007.

1. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/business.../2007/03/07/1173166799115.html?page=fullpage#

Viewers keen to save planet, but not during favourite show

March 8, 2007

The green conundrum is affecting many products, not just TV, writes Paul McIntyre.

TEN NETWORK's programmers are baffled. With so much attention on climate change and consumer research indicating viewers were keenly interested in a 2½ hour feast of practical advice on how they might save the planet, Ten's ratings for the Cool Aid blockbuster on Sunday night were still a disaster.

Viewing numbers peaked at 618,000, compared with more than 1.6 million each for Grey's Anatomy and CSI on Seven and Nine respectively, and averaged just 464,000 people across the country.

"Truthfully, we're confused," says Ten's network head of programming, Beverley McGarvey. "They didn't come. It's not like they came to the show, sampled it and went away. They didn't come.

2. NiteShift

NiteShift New Member

Maybe they didn't have a nifty slide show like Al Gore :confused:

3. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I don't think this strange at all.

1. TV watchers are not given to careful thought. They are given to entertainment. If they were serious about careful thought, they would be reading books, interacting on serious issues, not watching CSI or whatever else. TV, by its very nature, does not produce serious thought. That's not to say it is wrong. I watch TV (more than I should). But the very nature is an entertainment medium, not a thoughtful medium. Read someone like Neil Postman on this.

2. People are not actually concerned about this issue. They talk about it because it is fashionable to appear socially and environmentally conscious. But their actions show their real priorities. Consider Al Gore. He makes a big deal out of global warming, but lives in a huge house, flies in private jets, and drives big cars. If he was serious about global warming, it would change the way he lives. If Al Gore were serious about this issue, then he would sell his house(s) and move into a smaller one; he would drive smaller cars; he would not travel as much since his traveling is contributing to global warming. He would start by setting an example.

Consider John Edwards. He talks about the poor and two Americas, but lives in the upper crust of the America that he complains about, possessing the means to help many in the second America, but does nothing substantive about it.

This culture is all talk and no action.

I think underlying it all is a belief (whether right or wrong) that we are not really destroying the planet at any fast rate.

It may also have to do with the fact that the Ten Network (whatever that is) may not be in a lot of homes.

4. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe this is true and the more people become aware that it's really all about money and huge government grants, the more wary they will become.