1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"Never Saved To Begin With"

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by Iamodd4God, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

You omitted a crucial part of that post -- the sentence right before your tiny extract.

You lied in saying I did not `explain' what prompted the contents of that tiny extract. You did that very thing again.

2. Heavenly Pilgrim

Heavenly Pilgrim New Member

HP: Here is yet another brief extract that should concern this list. This is nothing short of a personal attack that has no place on a discussion list among believers. You have no basis whatsoever to impugn my motives in this discussion as you have chosen to do. You can make your point, run and hide or do whatever, but you never have to make a personal attack as you have chosen to do.

3. Darron Steele

Darron Steele New Member

Hi HeavenlyPilgrim.

Yeah -- I will `Run and hide.' I do not want any part of this sleazy politician-style debate stuff.

This opponent withdraws. It is not worth it to me.

4. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: I was not suggesting that that you have or should run and hide, I was simply saying that there are many alternatives to personal attacks.

Sorry you feel the need to withdraw.

5. rbell

rbell Active Member

Warning: Long post, In response to Ken (Iamodd4God):

Key passages germane to discussion:
    1 Corinthians 6:9-10:
    Galatians 5:19-21:
    Proverbs 6:16-19:
    Revelation 21:8:
    SO, we would then say a Christian cannot commit: (the following lists the sins gleaned from above passages)...
    Sexual immorality, idolatry, adultery, male prostitution, homosexuality, theft, greed, drunkenness, slander, swindling, impurity, debauchery, witchcraft, hatred, discord, jealousy, rage, selfishness, dissention, factions, envy, orgies, haughty eyes, lying, shedding innocent blood, rushing to evil, false witnessing, cowardice, unbelief, vileness, murder, magic arts. (*please note...duplicate items from these scriptures are omitted)

Could you honestly say that you have not committed a sin from this list? I couldn't. I doubt anyone could. So that presents a problem, doesn't it?

Well...What does James say?

James 2:10-11:

This is quite the important passage. We can't keep the law. We're not saved because of our law-keeping prowess. We fail. Miserably. It then becomes about grace and forgiveness.

Now...if someone is habitually living in sin, and there's no repentance/turning/conviction...of course there's a problem then. But if we're gonna make the "sins Christians can't commit" list...then let's be sure and take all the passages, and look at them as a whole.

This thread, and the 22,197,122.5 threads like it, usually end up dwelling on sins such as murder, homosexuality, and adultery.

Why don't we leave those "hot button" ones and mention a few of the other sins mentioned in the oft-stated passages: lying and thievery are mentioned. Can a Christian commit them? Yep. Are they still sins...a terrible affront to a Holy God? Absolutely. Will they bring about His chastening to His children? You better believe it. If they are a child of God, his chastening will be sure, and it won't be pleasant.

I do put "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit" in a different class, because Jesus did.

6. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

Well said.

7. Heavenly Pilgrim

HP: What is amazing to me is the litany of statements made by men that simply lack Scriptural or other support, but are constantly used to bolster ones doctrinal positions. I would ask the list once again to set forth any proof that the penalty for sin in the believer’s life is loss of rewards. Where is that stated or implied in Scripture?

8. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    1. There is no Purgatory!
    2. There is no way to turn hell into Purgatory and "go to heaven even if you go to hell"
    3. There is NOT even ONE text in all of scripture that says "DENIED from going to the Kingdom of heaven BUT STILL going to heaven anyway"

Basically these non-RC arguments in favor of purgatory are all bogus and do not have even ONE SINGLE SCRIPTURE to support them.

So you have to ask WHY in the world such an empty teaching would hold weight with ANY non-Catholic! Even the RCC rejects the false doctrine that says those who go to hell will later go to heaven!

How in the world can this belief be taken seriously without even ONE text to support it??

in Christ,

Bob

9. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

You are debating with my signature dude! And Dehaan wasn't even (AFAIK) a Millennial Exclusionists. Read his book and debate in your head with him.

10. Lacy Evans

Lacy Evans New Member

So . . er . . .Bob.

Don't the RCs believe you can lose your salvation?

How about your non-RC arguments for that?

11. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

rbell, why do you say James 2:10-11 is saying we can't obey the commandments when that isn't what that passage of Scripture says? All James 2:10-11 is saying is if you break ONE of the laws, then you are a law breaker. If YOU violate any single ONE of God's commandments, then you are a law breaker. If you steal, are you doing the will of God or the will of Satan? Sin is the will of Satan, so if you are doing the will of the devil, and claim that you are a child of God, how can that be when Jesus said...

John 8:44 Ye are of your father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it.

if you sin, how can you say you are of God, when through the inspiration of God the apostle John writes...

1John 3:10 In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: WHOSOEVER DOETH NOT RIGHTEOUSNESS IS NOT OF GOD, neither he that loveth not his brother.

Do you dare say that sins comitted are righteous acts???

In the name of Jesus Christ,

Ken

12. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Now what logical sense does that make? "Hey if you don't continue eating your hamburger then that means you never really started to eat it".

Jesus said "If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;" this doesn't imply that those who does not continue in His Word were never in His Word, this implies that those who discontinues being in His Word discontinues to be His disciples, just as John 6:66 states...

John 6:66 From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Using your logic, we would say that these people were NEVER really disciples, but if that is true, then why does the Scripture refer to them as disciples? And by them "follwing Jesus NO MORE" does that mean they are still His disciples?

Ken

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

So are you saying you don't sin?

14. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

You say if someone is Christ's follower, s/he will continue to follow Him. How do you explain John 6:66? The Bible says that these DISCIPLES followed Him no more. So how can you say s/he will continue to follow Him when we have Biblical evidence that disciples DO stop following after Christ?

You can say that these people were NEVER disciples, but then why does the Bible call them disciples? And since they stopped following after Jesus, did they remain being His disciples? I stopped being a Baptist, does that mean I am still a Baptist?

Ken

15. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Well let's see...

1) Thou shalt have no other god.

No I don't have other gods.

2) Thou shalt not make graven images, thou shalt not bow thyself to them or serve them.

No I don't commit idolatry.

3) Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD in vain.

No I haven't and don't take the name of God in vain.

4) Keep the Sabbath day holy.

Yes, I keep the sabbath day holy.

5) Honor your father and mother.

Yes, I honor my parents.

6) Thou shalt not kill.

No I don't kill.

7) Thou shalt not commit adultery.

No I do not commit adultery.

8) Thou shalt not steal.

No I do not steal.

9) Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbor.

No I do not lie.

10) Thou shalt not covet.

No I do not covet.

Which of these do you do? If you do any of these you need to repent; stop doing it, and obey God or you will NOT enter eternal life (Matthew 19:16-17); you will NOT have the right to the tree of life (Revelation 22:14).

Ken

16. rbell

rbell Active Member

Obeying the 10 commandments is a great idea.

However, you are adding requirements to Salvation. "By grace are you saved...not of works."

That's a very bad idea. Didn't work well for the Pharisees.

Your answer sounds like the rich young ruler's. He went away sad.

17. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

I'm adding requirements to salvation? Where did I mention anything about salvation? I would greatly appreciate it if you would not put words in my mouth.

Now, "AFTER" you are saved are you excused from obedience to God? I bet you say no, but I bet you believe that you are no longer under the penalty of sin when you do sin as a "Christian".

Jesus said to the rich man "IF you will ENTER into eternal life, OBEY THE COMMANDMENTS. " I want you to pay very close attention to what Jesus DID NOT say...

If you will "OBTAIN" eternal life. No, Jesus said if you will "ENTER" into eternal life; obey the commandments.

Ken

18. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Judas turned away from Christ. Many of Jesus' disciples in John 6:66 stopped following Jesus. Young widows turned away from Christ to follow Satan (Acts 5:11-15). Hymenaeus and Alexander among others shipwrecked their faith (1Timothy 1:18-20).

Why do you find it hard to believe that people can turn away from God? Didn't Lucifer turn away from God? He was an angel! If the angels of God can turn away from God, then certainly Christians being human can do the same. Why do you think the Bible gives us passages of warning to beware of false teachers? To beware of the devil who is as roaring lion looking for who he can devour? Is this warning to non Christians? OSAS means Satan cannot devour you, but seeing that God's Word warns us that he is looking for who he can devour, I have to believe he can devour us. Not partially eat us stripping us of rewards in heaven, but DEVOUR us stripping us of heaven itself.

Does God turn away from God? A person is not God, and if a person chooses to turn against God, it isn't the Spirit of God within that person turning against God it is the person. Saul turned against God, and by doing so the Spirit of God departed from him.

1Samuel 16:14 But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul, and an evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

Ken

19. Iamodd4God

Iamodd4God New Member

Amy, John 6:37 is an absolute truth, but equally true is John 15:2, and Romans 11:20-21.

John 15:2 EVERY BRANCH IN ME THAT BEARETH NOT FRUIT HE TAKETH AWAY: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.

Note the location of these branches? They are "IN" Jesus, NOT outside of Him.

Romans 11:20-21 Well; because of unbelief they were broken off, and thou standest by faith. Be not highminded, but fear: FOR IF GOD DID NOT SPARE THE NATURAL BRANCHES, TAKE HEED LEST HE ALSO NOT SPARE THEE.

Ken

20. Brother Bob

Brother Bob New Member

Iamodd4God
    I been down this same trail Iamodd4God, for I believe in Christians living Christ Like. I have received the same condemnation as you are receiving, I been called a liar and all, but I don't commit the sins of breaking the Ten Commandments. I sin but it is what Jesus called "a sin not unto death". I get too angry at times, my mouth has gotten me in to more trouble than I can get out of myself. etc.

Let others do as they may, as for me and my house we will serve the Lord. Some say, you can be in the act of adultery and get hit by lightening and die in that position and still go to heaven. I deny that as heresy.

I do not believe falling from Grace. I believe God and His Grace is strong enough to keep us and deliver us body, spirit and soul blameless in the day of the resurrection.
    If we were keeping ourselves, no doubt we would fall, but we are no longer our own keeper, but kept by the power of God.

You said you were no longer a Baptist, I was wondering why?

#100 Brother Bob, Aug 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2007