1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

never seen this extension before

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by HeDied4U, Jan 13, 2007.

1. HeDied4U

HeDied4U Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So here it is, not even 4:00am in the morning (now that's kinda redundant, isn't it? it's not like it'd be 4:00am in the afternoon, right?? :laugh:), and I've been surfing the web for well over an hour. This is the curse of working the night shift, even on my off days (nights?) I'm up all night.

Anyway, I'm visiting a church's website, and have clicked on their online sermon page. Started listening to a sermon that I kind of liked and thought I'd download it. I right click the link, select 'save target as...' and select the folder to save it in. It downloads in like 2 seconds, so I think something is fishy. I go to said folder and look for the file name, and there it is, but with the .wax extension after the file name. What's up with that? I have never seen it before. Haven't been able to find a whole lot of info about it online, so I thought I'd turn to the experts here for assistance.

What exactly, pray tell, is the .wax extension, and what does it do?? Inquiring minds need to know!!! :)

As always, thanks in advance for any info provided.

2. Pete

Pete New Member

WAX

If only I could get a job as pro web-surfer.....*SIGH* :)

3. HeDied4U

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    :BangHead: :BangHead:

Thanks Pete, but now I feel even more confused LOL

4. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is just a way to handle getting info to you.

They put that file on your drive and when you try to play the sermon it will go online and fetch it for you.

1. Saves your hard drive space.
    2. You can't mess with the orginal file.

More and more people are assuming everyone is on high speed, when in fact over half are still on dial up :thumbsup:

5. kubel

kubel New Member

It's like a shortcut. The file isn't actually on your computer, but a link to it is.

If you right click the .wax file and open it with a text editor, it should contain the full link of the audio file. You can then use that link to download the actual file to disk (unless it's a live stream).

6. HeDied4U

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aahhhhhhh, now I think I've got it. Thanks for the (additional) replies. Now I don't feel quite so :BangHead: LOL