1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Android app warns you when you’re being tracked

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Revmitchell, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A group led by a Rutgers University professor just created an Android smartphone app that notifies users when their location data is being tracked and transmitted by another app.

Assistant professor Janne Lindqvist’s new app displays a banner across Android screens saying, “Your location is accessed by [app name],” when said app is transmitting location data, taking advantage of technology already present on the Android operating system that few users were aware even existed.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2014/01/31/new-android-app-warns-you-when-youre-being-tracked/#ixzz2rxoJR2nN

2. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    have wondered if someone has a program to scan your computer for spy tracking hardware. The app should really sell well.

3. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't need no stinking app. I've got a rotary phone and Spidey-sense. You develop that from being on a party line. The Spidey-sense, that is. You know somebody's snooping 'cause you can hear cows mooing in the background and you ain't got cows and neither does your Momma.

You just know Lloyd, down the road, is in the cow barn snooping and listening in on folk's conversation. Now with Lloyd you can just drive down to his cow barn and cut the wire or unscrew the handset and take out the hearing part. Phone rings and Lloyd's yelling, "Hello! Hello!" and can't hear a thing. :laugh: That'll learn him.

Now take that NSA for example. They ain't got no cow barns so you can't hear them snooping. They got all them high falutin electronic snoopers. They're poking your Android without permission and that's just wrong. Shut 'em down I say!

4. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If your aneroid causes you to sin....throw it in the creek! Better to use a plain phone than get GPS.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Next time you download or update a smartphone app, check the details of what the app does. Nearly all of them say your acceptance of use means they will track your location, access your contacts, use your wireless networks, and perhaps even raid your refrigerator, kick your dog and steal your car. Every time I find such nonsense in my app update requests, I decline. One of these days none of my apps are going to work, but hey! I'd rather not be followed around by inanimate techno-nerds made up of nothing but electrons.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you mean tracking, what specifically do you mean?

Like I know there are cellphones that tell people where you are. We use it to track the locations of our drivers & also the speed they are going & the routes they are taking to get to their destinations. Thats kinda creepy if used to keep tabs for EVERYONE all the time.....a BIG BROTHER in your pocket.

7. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My grandmother was really bad about eavesdropping on the party line.

Our ring was two shorts and a long.

8. padredurand

padredurand Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Lloyd thought all the rings were his. Every call started the same way:

Hello.

Hey, this is (your choice of caller).

Oh, hi. Just a minute... Hang up, Lloyd. I got it.

Moo.

I don't think Lloyd had a phone in the house. Lloyd was the NSA Party Line Department.