1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Beleivers Discipleship

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Sojourn(f)orTruth, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Sojourn(f)orTruth

Sojourn(f)orTruth New Member

I have recently had the blessing of having a part in leading a number of unchurched young adults, and couples to Christ. I am now looking for some good study material (basic doctrine)to begin a discipleship class in our church. Our pastor is attempting to find something appropriate as well. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

What a coincidence! I'm looking for the same type of information. My church is going through a growth spurt due to many recent conversions (glory to God!), and my pastor asked me to put together a teaching/mentoring program geared toward new believers. I've always felt convicted in these regards. I feel like many churches really drop the ball when it comes to new believers. (ie. Hand 'em a Bible and say, "Good luck!"-- to quote my buddy, Trotter.) I think we, as a church should think twice about releasing God's lambs (unprepared, and unprotected)into a world of wolves. Anyway, I,too, would like some input from the BB on this subject. C'mon guys, help us out. In Christ, WT [​IMG]

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think Navigators has materials for discipleship. Go to the website of their publishing materials at http://www.navpress.com/
    and search or contact them about it.

Also, I would think that maybe campus ministries like Campus Crusade or InterVarsity might have discipleship materials.

4. Sojourn(f)orTruth

Sojourn(f)orTruth New Member

Thanks Marcia....I know the initial reaction to the post would be "duh, how about using the Bible?" I am willing to do any work necessary to put together a series, however I just don't care to necessarily re-invent the wheel here. I know there must be some appropriate "basic doctrine", and "first steps" material already published. I will check out the navigators site! Thanks again.

5. Word Traveler

Word Traveler New Member

Yes, thank you,Marcia. I already have the Navpress site in my favorites list. I know there are alot of studies available on discipleship training. I guess I'm more interested in how other churches handle new believers. Is someone from your church assigned to follow-up, and keep in contact with new converts? I tend to believe we not only need a study course in each church geared toward new believers, but also a mentoring program, to contact them from time to time at home to encourage them. How does your church handle it? I'd appreciate any input. Thanks. In Christ, WT [​IMG]

6. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

A handbook for Christian Maturity by Bill Bright might be helpful.
    The Great Doctines of the Bible by Evans.
    Major Bible themes by Chafer/Walvoord.
    Depends on how far and deep you want to go.

7. superdave

superdave New Member

Won by One by Melvin T. Lacock is good,

broad coverage of the major doctrines, and the basics of the christian walk, and the basics of church polity.

After that, depending on who you are working with, another broad study book would be The Purpose Driven Life by Rick Warren (please don't sidetrack the thread if you have a problem with Warren) Another excellent follow up would be the book Changed into His Image by Jim Berg. It is very deep, but it is an awesome book, and has great study guide materials. He also has an additional book called Created for His Glory. Both can be similar in concept to what Warren covers in broad and more philosophical terms, but much deeper, and with more in depth Bible Study.