1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

"New Century Version"

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by menageriekeeper, Jun 21, 2013.

1. menageriekeeper

menageriekeeper Active Member

What is this? I'd never heard of it until this morning when one of my daughter's friends posted a scripture from it that didn't seem just right. Looking it up in my (gasp) NIV I discovered I was right and what she posted didn't seem to be a good paraphrase even. At first I thought it must be something from the Message, lol, but I looked there and it agreed with the NIV.

My other daughter said, "I'll just google it." Bible Gateway said it was the New Century Version. It seems to be vastly different or am I basing my opinion on just one single part of a verse?

The verse is Isaiah 66:9 if anyone wants to look.

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What was the passage? I've read it through in the new testament and didn't find anything "messagy" about it.

3. clark thompson

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    it is meant to be very easy read

4. menageriekeeper

Sorry Webdog, as happens so often I posted and then life got in the way before I could return.

The verse is Isaiah 66:9:

In the same way I will not cause pain
    without allowing something new to be born (New Century Version)

In the few other versions I've compared it to, it is rendered similar to this:

“Will I bring a baby to the point of birth
    and not deliver it?”
    says the Lord;
    “or will I who deliver, close the womb?”
    says your God. (HCSB)

I've compared this passage to the NIV, Message and several others and haven't found a rendering similar to the New Century one. I find that NCV changes the context considerably. Or is it just that I am set in my thinking?

5. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    16 “God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son so that whoever believes in him may not be lost, but have eternal life." New Century Version

16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." NKJV

16 “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." NASB

Modern scholarship says the "so" does not mean so much, but rather God loved in this way. But modern scholarship does recognize "only begotten" as a mistranslation, with "one of a kind" being the best translation of the word. "Whoever believes in Him" is the same as most translations. By doing away with perish (replaced with lost) the juxtaposition of death with life is lost. All in all, the translation has little to write home about.

6. menageriekeeper

Well it certainly won't be making my collection of printed Bibles!