1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Church Starting

Discussion in 'Pastoral Ministries' started by Dr. Bob, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sunday, 10:30 a.m., we will have a church service of our new church here in Casper. We have about 20 presently who have no church home and even though the church will not be formally "chartered" until April 1, we decided to go ahead.

Our ministry out at Dry Creek was fruitful, but 92 miles into the high plains was just not possible for me to continue on a permanent basis. They have decided to work without a pastor right now, depending on some AMF missionaries once a month, our camp man once a month and other lay preachers.

Our NEW church will meet and formalize a charter, by-laws, constitution etc in the next three months. We have already agreed on the London Baptist Confession of 1689 as the Reformed Church of Casper (unaffiliated at this point with any association of Reformed Baptists).

My role as Elder will be in the training of men for eldership as well as being the Teaching Elder for preaching at our Sunday service. We are very excited after a long meeting today with some families and the decision to start Sunday (no publicity at this stage) with "baby steps" until everything is formalized for a public opening April 3.

Appreciate any prayers.

2. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Certainly will pray for you and your new church Dr. Bob. May God bless your new church.

3. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

All the best with the new work Dr Bob, may it grow and prosper.

4. Daniel David

Daniel David New Member

Dr. Bob, I am surprised to see the LBC as the standard there. It is quite Covenantal. I know you are dispensationalist. Why the LBC?

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am part covenantal. Most dispies like me (over all) throw out the covenants or mostly ignore them. I meld them together with a progressive dispensationalism. And LBC 1689 is as Reformed Baptist as they come!

BTW, had 18 today. 9 adults and 9 homeschooled elementary/toddler kids. One hour, 45 minute service and not a fuss. Singing great old hymns. Each man (5 of us) praying for God's blessing on the work. Sharing. Preaching. No Lord's Supper as we did not get the kosher wine and bread, but will have it for next service.

Here is my initial sermon:

GOD'S PLAN FOR HIS CHURCH

Introduction: God has a plan for the ages. He has a plan for each life. He has a plan for the course of this world - yesterday, today, and tomorrow. God also has a plan for a Church. I am excited to be here, working with godly men and women, to organize and spend time together in a brand new church.

His Bride is to be pure, spotless, chaste and loyal to Him alone. It is to be adorned with good works that will stand in contrast to the sinful world around it. God plans, He arranges, He "sets".

The Greek word "etheto" denotes that action of "setting". It is aorist, that is, once for all at a specific point in time. God plans, designs, drafts, patterns, proposes, intends, groups, predetermines, fixes, or in the simple text of the KJV "sets", His will is sovereign; it may not be thwarted

I. GOD "SET" ORDER IN HIS CHURCH, I Cor. 11:34
    “And the rest will I set in order when I come.”

A. God Desires a Church that is Organized
    B. God Desires a Church that is Operational
    Worship - Great Commandment (Matthew 22)
    Ministry
    Evangelism - Great Commission (Matthew 28)
    Discipleship
    Fellowship

II. GOD "SET" PEOPLE IN HIS CHURCH, I Cor. 12:18
    But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

A. God Desires Certain Individuals in Certain Churches
    B. God Desires a Church to Function as a BODY

III. GOD "SET" LEADERS IN HIS CHURCH, I Cor. 12:28
    And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.

A. God Desires certain ones in the Body to Fulfill Special Roles
    B. God Desires us to Focus on what Distinguishes us from the World

6. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

Glad to hear your 1st service went well.

7. Karen

Karen Active Member

True indeed, but why is this church thought necessary in a small town in which there is already a small Reformed Baptist church. I'm not trying to be critical, just interested.

Karen

8. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi there, Dr. Bob! Hadn't seen any posts from you, and I wondered what you had been up to. May the Lord bless this new work.

Our new pastor is an AMF missionary. That's how we were able to "afford" him, as we're not his sole source of income. It makes for quite a beneficial arrangement for all concerned.

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    There is no other Reformed Baptist Church in Wyoming to our knowledge. My home church (I'm a missionary) has a calvinistic pastor, but is not reformed.

It has also got a pointed doctrinal statement that almost forbids a reformed type to join. So this is a very needed new work.

Thanks for your interest and prayers.

10. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Had our first formal "elders" meeting this evening for Sovereign Grace Church.

We decided in our publicity (that will be slowly coming out over the next 4 months as we organize) will emphasize things that make us distinctive
    </font>
    • Reformed in Theology</font>
    • Baptist in Polity</font>
    • A Family of Families</font>
    • London Baptist Confession of 1689</font>
    • Generational Mission</font>
    • Sanctuary for the Believer</font>
    • Doxological (glorifying God) above all</font>
    Thoughts?

11. HappyG

HappyG New Member

I guess my question would be are you trying to reach people from the Baptist Board? Or from Casper, Wyoming?

Because if I am a small business owner who is unchurched in Casper and you publicize that you are starting a church and the reason that I should come to your church is because you want to teach me about the London Baptist Confession of 1689, I just might be "busy" on Sunday mornings. Not because the concepts that you feel are important aren't applicable to my life, but because they certainly don't "sound" applicable.

And people don't go to church anymore because they were taught it is what they are supposed to do. They go when somebody connects with them and communicates to them a message that has been around a long time in a way that makes sense for today.

So in the least if you think those things are most important when it comes to publicizing what your church is all about, I would think you would want to translate those concepts/beliefs to life in the 21st century and market them as such.

Just my thoughts...

12. Debby in Philly

Debby in Philly Active Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Forgive me for being blunt, but using those points on church publicity would seem to be for the purpose of finding only those individuals who would agree with all of those things, and to do that, they would have to already know what they mean.

So you only want believers with those characteristics to come to your church, no one else need apply?

What would Rick Warren do?

13. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

Dr. Bob,

I am impessed that you have carried the elder rule with you. It is something missing in many otherwise good churchs today.

That said, I have always had a problem with the term "family of families". I understand the focus and attraction, we are very family focused here also. My problem is that the Scripture referres to us as a "Body" (or family) of individuals. My faith is not my families. Our family does not make up the church, because my two young children do not know Christ. I am not critisizing, I too appreciate the family imphasis. My only problem is a problem of wording our doctrine. Feel free to coment back. I appreciate your insight.

14. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks for the thoughts. Hope more will come.

We are looking for a church that is a "church", not playing one with a gajillion programs, user friendly doctrine, superficial commitment to each other, etc.

At this point we are trying to reach people who want this type of church. Non-traditional from the typical Baptist point of view, but very traditional if you go back to 1700.

We may have an unsaved person (apart from our children) come into a service. But like the early church, everything we do will be directed to the saved, the body. Afraid Rick would be quite uncomfortable here.

And the Lord will add such as are being saved, to come in for growth, healing, strengthening of life and home so that they, too can be a witness and share the Gospel with others . . .

15. pastorjeff

pastorjeff New Member

That's the way I've always felt about Sunday Worship. The body gathers to be fed, not to hear the Pastor give another message geared to those who are lost. The Gospel should always be a part of our message, but our people need the whole counsel of the Word of God. I'm glad to see that is your focus.

16. Hardsheller

Hardsheller Active Member
    Site Supporter

And us Baptists continue to splinter and split and form tiny little churches all over the country. Makes you wonder some time just how many it takes to prove that we have failed.

17. HappyG

HappyG New Member

I will make a couple of predictions based on what you are saying.

1. The church will be small
    2. You will be able to say that God intends for it to be that way.
    3. Unity will be difficult long-term because the focus will more on the insiders than the outsiders.

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Our design is to grow to 15 families, then split in half and let one of the men I am training become their elder. And again and again. A dozen churches of 30-40 is better than a mega church of 500.

Don't tell that to my son (he's at Saddleback in LA and just preached Thursday to the College group of 750+)!

Here is a sample page from our fellowship
    http://www.sovereigngracechurch.com/?1

19. HappyG

HappyG New Member

I certainly understand the merits of the small church verses the mega church. I do believe their are advantages and disadvantages to both models. Many small churches are not small because they are such great places to worship God that nobody wants to show up. And some churches are large but not because God shows up and lives are being changed.

But my concern is more that even if you have 12 churches of 30-40, you will be forming those churches by "recruiting" Christians either from other churches or from out of "retirement."

You are all but saying that is what your mission is based upon how you are stating and describing your core values.

I believe it is possible for you to say your core values in a way that would "connect" or make sense more to the 21'st century postmodern if you wanted too. But you don't seem to want therefore you are saying that your primary target is someone who would understand what you are desribing and that would be someone who has been in the "camp" for awhile.

Do you agree? Once again, just my thoughts since you asked. [​IMG]

20. HappyG

HappyG New Member

Oh yeah, your son must get quite an "education" working at Saddleback. You must have some good philosophical discusions.

My father has been a independant, fundemental Baptist for 30 years. You would probably know him, Evangelist Gary Gillmore.