1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New climate study deals blow to skeptics

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Crabtownboy, Oct 21, 2011.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Note the study took 1/6 billion, yes 1.6 billion readings.

2. Ruiz

Ruiz New Member

In one of my professional organizations, there is a man who is an expert in his field dealing with climate change. One week, our organization asked him to present his research on this issue.

He explained that there is no doubt about climate change and presented his personal research on the matter (much of which has been published). He relayed that from all the research he has conducted, he is utterly convinced beyond any doubt that climate change has occurred.

Yet, on the other hand, he is not convinced that this is caused mostly by humans. His research was fascinating and, to be honest, was a little over my head in places.

I do not doubt things are getting warmer, but I think the science is not set on how to solve this "problem" or all the causes.

Yet, again, I am not a scientist and thus I admit my utter ignorance in this area.

3. SolaSaint

SolaSaint Well-Known Member

We will never get a straight answer on this issue because there are billions to be spent and made by those who can spin it the best. Please don't ask me how Al Gore spun it to gain his millions. I guess he used his previuos job title to gain clout.

4. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If we could find a way to stimulate a major eruption of Krakatoa, that ought to cool it back down for a while.

5. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I have always maintained that we are in a warming cycle of climate change and that humans have had, and do have, an effect on the environment.

However, I dispute that it is either catastrophic or will lead to dramatic environmental destruction.

6. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would agree with this as well. I don't put much emphasis on the human factor, though I do believe it exists. I also think a lot of this research is slanted by selective endpoints.

7. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thirty-something years ago it was doom and gloom because of a new ice age that was inevitable. :sleep:

8. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Yeah...

There is warming. But not by us the paltry amount of emissions we little ants are pumping out. The evidence has been demonstrated, countless times, that the warming is due to increased solar activity. You know, that hundreds of billions of tons of fusion in the sky caused by gravitational collapse? Yeah, that is whats causing the warming. Its not cow farts.

9. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Perhaps this whole concept of "global warming" and associated issues should serve to remind us of our God given role as stewards. Radicalism, at any end of the spectrum, be it conservative or liberal can be dangerous.

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very true. It does not matter if iti s a right wing bullet or a left wing noose, the person is still dead.

God told mankind to be the caretaker of the earth, not the destroyer.

For many to admit, finally, that the climate is changing is a big step. In the early days many refused to admit there was any change. Their views have changed slowly as they have been proven wrong again and again. It is not hard to see that our climate has changed. 1.6 billion is a pretty good sample size.

11. Aaron

Aaron Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The earth be damned if that means even one more statute abridging the liberty of American citizens.

And I don't use the word lightly or profanely. I mean it sincerely in the manner in which it appears in Scripture.

12. quantumfaith

:), The larger the sample space, the more accurate the statistic. Personally I have little doubt that mankind has some measure of impact on the environment in a multitude of ways, "global warming' notwithstanding. The difficulty, mathematically speaking is "isolating" the most contributory variables to that effect. While I do look for science and technology to continue to seek "better answers" for energy needs, in the end, the law of the conservation of energy is a limiting principle. Entropy rules, in line behind our sovereign God of course.

13. billwald

billwald New Member

>The earth be damned if that means even one more statute abridging the liberty of American citizens.

You a dispensationalist?

14. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Seems that the burden of Scripture is that mankind be the caretakers of creation as we have been given it (i.e. good stewards.) The overwhelming evidence of Revelation is that though this world is, in light of eternity, a passing thing only God has the authority to destroy the creation. Mankind is, as represented in Scripture, to be a good caretaker. The environment matters. To say it doesn't takes a hatchet to the Bible exegetically.

15. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

The scriptures are clear that the good of man takes precedent over trees, bees, and animals. In fact, trees and the "environment" in general, are NEVER spoken of in terms of something to be preserved, or protected. That man is a "steward" of the earth, denotes his responsibility to propagate, establish just government, etc. It has nothing whatsoever to do with environmentalism.

16. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So a good care taker has no responsibility for abusing what he is to take care of. What blindness! God never told us to destroy the earth we are to take care of.

17. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

He never said we are take care of the trees and the bees. We are to take care of the people. When did God put us back in the Garden?

YOU are the blind one. You place value on things that are temporal, rather than placing the value on the eternal. Read the scriptures, instead of inserting your silly liberal dogma into the margins.

18. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once you and people like you destroy all the bees who will you blame for there being no food? Are you so blind that you cannot see the connection between the welfare of people and their environment?

We cannot take care of people once our environment is destroyed. Elementary my dear Watson, elementary. Taking care of the earthand people is being a good steward.

You must have grown up in an urban area.

19. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

Actually I was literally raised in a barn.

Allowing people to suffer and die now, in order to protect them from some silly possibility of danger far in the future, is the height of evil and insanity.

Funny how the liberals want to "protect the poor," until it comes down to choosing between a poor person and a tree...

20. quantumfaith

Actually Crabtownboy, YOU are correct. Man was given a stewardship responsibility LONG before he was given an evangelistic obligation.