1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New deans at Southern Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by go2church, Jan 29, 2004.

1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Southern Seminary article

The new dean of theology is only 32 and never served as a pastor, double Wow! This is the best that Southern could do?

2. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Funnny - I've never seen age or pastoral experience as a requirement or disqualifier for anything in scripture.

I suppose if you'd want to take a shot at the SBC and that's the best one you come up with then the SBC's pretty safe.

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If I wanted to take a shot at the SBC I wouldn't have to look very far that is for sure. I knew someone would bring up that verse directed to Timothy, OK let's just turn it over to the youngsters! Al isn't Paul and Russell isn't Timothy.

The Southern Baptist Convention says it is 16 million people strong, you would think that there would someone out there qualified AND (note the AND) seasoned enough to be the Dean of the oldest seminary in the bunch. You would think that anyway! What this points to is the fact the Mohler hires in a very narrow band-width so to speak and there are not many who want to work with him. The funny thing is that in many of the SBC churches Al claims to represent, someone 32 without any pastoral experience wouldn't be considered as a candidate for pastor. Yet now he is a dean at the seminary.

4. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

I'm guessing it's a problem for you. Sorry to hear that. Perhaps a return to Biblical qualifications for leadership would help rid you of that bias.

They found qualified people (and hired them). Didn't you read the article?

Please. No basis in reality for that statement.

And that would be foolish on the part of those churches.

5. bt

bt New Member

That "very narrow band-width so to speak" is working exceptionally well for Dr. Mohler and the students at SBTS!

I know Dr. Moore was a great move for SBTS. He obviously has a bright future ahead of him. However, I do not know much about Scroggins. Does anyone have any info on him?

6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Narrow bandwidth = 5 Point Calvinist, willing to sign a man-made creed and follow whatever Cardnial Al says (Paige is Pope).

You would have defended whoever it was without regard to publishing history or years of experience. You will not admit it, but this move hurts the academic reputation of Southern.

7. bt

bt New Member

Maybe you can help me understand why this is so.

8. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

More baseless statments. What made you so bitter?

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ask around other thelogical institutions, Is Southern Seminary still considered one of the top academic institutions in the country? The answer will be no. I have talked to folks at Garrett, Northen Baptist, North American Baptist, Southern alumni and Truett. No one said it was a bad school (except the Southern alum interestingly enough), just not what it once was. Sure that is a matter of opinion because if I bothered to check I'm sure there would equally as many to say it is greater now then ever. But that was not my point.

I am not bitter, I just prefer to think for myself instead of having someone do it for me which is what Mohler and Patterson would prefer. In this case actions speak louder then words.

10. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

Right - because if one supports the SBC leadership they are sheep, right?

I believe the statement holds true but rather for CBF'ers. But I digress...

I'm not sure who you are talking to but Southern is considered the flagship seminary of the SBC (rightly or not, I'm a non-Calvinist) and one of the most scholarly amongst all denominations.

I'm sure their are former professors, faculty, etc that don't like the current administration that would be willing to take a shot at the school but by and large it's one of the most respected schools of higher learning.

11. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not SBC, but pleased with the entire direction. Good theology. If I were John Doe member of an SBC church, I would WANT leaders who were trained in the Word and that AGREED with the BFM doctrinal statement.

If I wanted a liberal, there are "seminaries" training them. Figure the CBF or Methodists need pastors, too.

12. All about Grace

All about Grace New Member

I have no desire to get involved in this debate but I can add since both of these guys are personal friends of mine that the above statement is far from the truth. Neither Scroggins nor Moore would be considered 5 point Calvinists (and neither was Akin by the way). This is a typical accusation among mods that finds no basis.

13. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

I can't verify all the above post but the part that says

in regards to Calvinism is correct.

I have a Calvinist friend at Boyce college, Southern's Bible School, and the last time Akin preached he preached against Calvinism (at chapel).

14. JGrayhound

JGrayhound New Member

Not exactly true. He preached more against the mindset that some Calvinists (especially young ones) have. Can't really preach against "calvinism" and still hold to the BF&M and Abstract.

SBCbyGRACE, you can back me upon this I think. If you discussed "calvinism" with Mohler, Akin, and Moore they would agree on just about everything. They would all nuance atonement because each has their own point of emphasis about atonement. But their beliefs are not far off at all.
    I do understand why the mods would call them all calvinists, because they all embrace it for the most part. Would you agree?

Go2Church, wow, you have made some pretty ignorant remarks on ths thread. I won't tackle them all. But I do think you are way off base on 2 main things. First, the academic reputation of Southern is impeccable. There are more SBTS profs published than any other Baptist seminary. If the latest numbers from SWBTS are true, Southern has passed it in becoming the largest seminary. SBTS is the most represented seminary faculty at ETS. Of course liberals or mods will accuse it of being too narrow. But that is what makes it a great institution. It is much healthier now than it has ever been.
    Second, Dr.Moore will be an amazing Dean for SBTS. If you had ever met the man or talked with him you would be convinced of his ability just as Dr.Mohler, the trustees, the faculty, and students are convinced of his ability. He has plenty of ministry experience, but most importantly he is a faithful steward of God's Word. Of course mods will not like any die-hard conservative taking a place of great privilege, but it is a good move nonetheless. I doubt you would be happy with any conservative decision.

Your baseless attacks are childish and laughable. But so it goes with blind hatred.

15. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Greyhound I think that is what I said it is a matter of opinion.

My point is that there are many who used to hold Southern in higher esteem then they currently do. Concerning the young doctor, I have not meet the man, and have not talked with him, my initial assestment is simply that he does not have the experience that I would want in a dean. I never questioned his commitment to the Word of God, though I am sure that we would have different views. I never questioned his qualifications, I may not like Southern as a school, but I am sure that they just don't hand out the ole sheep-skins willie-nillie. I only questioned his expericence. You seem to know him and think that he will do a good job, perhaps, perhaps not I would not have hired him.

Concerning my assesment of Calvinism, the BF&M 2000 and the political manuvering that Pope Paige and Cardnial Al have been a party to (ok, that part is childish) they are concerns rooted in serious theological understandings of what it means to be baptist. I don't consider them childish. You may, perphaps this is why so many were so willing to dismiss them so easily.

16. NateT

NateT Member

My question is directed at the initial post. Why would a dean of students NEED pastoral experience? He was not made professor of preaching nor of pastoral care. He knows his stuff (he subbed for Akin in an online theology class I took). His job is an academic role, not growing and maturing a local congregation. I just don't see the big deal.

I was EXTREMELY disappointed at Akin's leaving (b/c we're heading to Louisville in a couple months). However, I was comforted in knowing that Dr. Moore will be taking over.

17. zuchva

zuchva New Member

I thought Bruce Ware would have been the logical person for the position. I haven't read the article, but anyone know why he is not the new Dean?

18. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The article says he is going to be the dean of the theology school as well as an administration position.
    Just my take. but I would want someone with more experience to be the dean. There are many who come to seminary well into their pastoral work and considering the mentoring relationship that is often established in the graduate work of seminary....just my take I would want someone with more experience.

I don't know why he didn't get it, perhaps he didn't want it. Some guys love the teaching so much that they don't want to leave the classroom even a little bit. Did he stay at the school? If not my guess would be that he wanted it and didn't get it so is moving on to "greener pastures". With a 32 year old ahead of you there isn't much realistic chance for him retiring any time soon.

19. Bro. Jeff

Bro. Jeff New Member

You are correct. I realize know that I didn't give a clear description of what I was saying...

He did indeed preach against Calvinisitic arrogance.

Speaking of Calvinistic arrogance...

Do not try and shoe horn the BF&M into your theological system.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

How many liberals from the old guard at Southern and others were young and had no pastoral experience? This is a two-edged sword, despite being ridiculously illogical and narrow.