1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Fanny Crosby Hymns

Discussion in 'Music Ministry' started by rlvaughn, Jul 9, 2018.

1. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Fanny Crosby: Newly Discovered Hymns and Songs
    First I'd heard of these newly discovered hymns.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See my thread from several years ago:

https://www.baptistboard.com/threads/lost-fanny-crosby-hymns-rediscovered.97676/#post-2197189

• Like Like x 1
  3. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  4. David Bruce Murray

David Bruce Murray New Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is actually the second album of new Fanny Crosby music. The first was titled _Blessed Assurance: The New Hymns Of Fanny Crosby_ (2015). I have reviewed both albums.

CD Hindsight Review: Blessed Assurance – The New Hymns Of Fanny Crosby

CD Review: Various Artists – Fanny Crosby/Newly Discovered Hymns & Songs

The first group of lyrics were mostly given to modern worship leaders who completed Fanny's lyrics and set them to arrangements that would be difficult to distinguish from their own modern worship songs. "I Have Found A Priceless Treasure," "All Is Well," and "No One Like Jesus" are good, but the rest sound nothing close to anything Fanny would have written.

The second album is much better. Rhyme schemes generally work out, most melodies are hymn-like, etc.

I have been attempting for several months to obtain rights to publish a songbook with the most hymn-like songs from the two albums distilled down to traditional hymnbook (SATB) arrangements. I did manage to get the right to sell copies of "Jesus" (completed by Jim and Melissa Brady) and "No One Like Jesus" (completed by Stuart Gerrard and Michael W. Smith). Sadly, the publishers of all the other songs I wanted to include haven't even bothered respond to acknowledge my requests, neither to approve or deny. Those requests were sent out over six months ago!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    So would these songs be considered contemporary Christian music - since they are new?

6. Reformed

Reformed Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Only if they can be performed by an artist wearing skinny jeans on a stage with a smoke machine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1