1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Hampshire Confession & Church Covenant

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Ingo Breuer, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Ingo Breuer

Ingo Breuer Member

I have recently translated the 18 articles of faith of the New Hampshie Confession and the church covenant into German language. Both writings are used in quite a number of Baptist churches as a statement of faith. The book which contains those writngs unfortunately does not mention who wrote these documents and when they were written.
    Does anyone know a little more about the background (author and date)of the New Hampshire Confession and the Church Covenant?
    Thanks for any good hints!

English-German Baptist site - solidrockfaith.com

2. rlvaughn

rlvaughn Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ingo, the New Hampshire Confession of Faith and the Church Covenant (at least the covenant most common among missionary Baptists) is generally credited to J. Newton Brown and was written circa 1833.

http://www.reformedreader.org/ccc/1833newh.htm

3. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    The New Hampshire Confession is the grandfather of the SBC's Baptist Faith and Message.

NH Confession:

The 2000 Baptist Faith and Message:

NH Confession:

BF&M:

4. Zenas

Zenas Active Member

Does anyone have a link to J. Newton Brown's original 1833 church covenant? When I Google, I get several versions but none of them appears authentic.

5. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The story behind the NHC can be found in Hiscox's New Directory for Baptist Churches. As Hiscox wrote this work initially in the 1859 with the New Directory coming out in 1893, he was able to make contact with men involved in NHC's writing. Dr. Hiscox also reprints the confession.

6. bbas 64

bbas 64 New Member

Just a little bump.. I would like to see the text.