1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Orleans Baptist Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by boris99, Jul 17, 2002.

1. boris99

boris99 New Member

I am considering NOBTS for my seminary education... any objective feedback would be welcome! Good school... or not so good? Strengths/weaknesses?

Personally, I have heard nothing but good things from anyone who has studied there...

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We've had good discussion about NOBTS in the past. Sorry the "search" function is NOT functioning until a new update comes on line (in a week or two).

Might want to hold off until then! [​IMG]

3. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My sister is a NOBTS grad as is my brother-in-law, twice! They both received an excellent education and speak very highly of the school. Having only visited the school once all I can tell you is that it is not in the best neighborhood of New Orleans, there is a fence surrounding the campus with gates, but other then that I don't know all that much about it. The alum from that school that I have run into have all seemingly been solid ministry minded folks. Also that area has some real good churches to serve in and opportunities for ministry outside the church walls abound.

4. David Cooke Jr

David Cooke Jr New Member

A friend from my Sunday School class got her Masters there, although she took many of her classes at the Atlanta satellite campus. Although many have told me it is typical of other SBC seminaries and is very conservative, my friend is more moderate in her theology, but seems very happy with her education. To me that's a good endorsement-that someone with a view different from the prevailing one was happy with her education.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

You'll get a good education at one of the six SBC seminaries (the best will be at Southern :D ), but the area where the seminary is located is not the best. If you can cope with that, rest assured you'll be prepared well - for someone who didn't go to Southern, that is :cool:

6. boris99

boris99 New Member

You're right, it's not the best part of town - I have been down there a few times. I will most likely commute though - I live in Baton Rouge, which is about an hour away.

7. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

Any other SBC seminary is considered "Brand X!"

Straight from the lips of Blackbird!

8. tfisher

tfisher New Member

We have some NOBTS extension classes here at the Baptist College of Florida. You will have to contact admissions if you want to know any more about it than that. I am clueless at this point. I have lived on campus less than 2 weeks and am a long way from even thinking about graduate work. I have been told by admissions that BCF will be offering masters degrees within a year or two.

The neighborhood around here is quiet. There are only 2 traffic lights in town. The only noise to speak of is when maintainance cuts the grass on Tuesday mornings. All of the businesses in town close at 8:00 PM. Still, it's a nice place to be and everyone has a great story of how God brought them here.

BTW, the president of BCF is a NOBTS graduate.