1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Orleans Baptist Theological Seminary

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by jblong, Mar 19, 2012.

1. jblong

jblong New Member

I've been searching online and have been unable to find many opinions about Nobts. Most information I do find is pre Katrina. Does anyone currently attend or recently graduate from the seminary?

I'm trying to get an idea for how the school ranks academically among the other SBC seminaries. What are its strengths and weaknesses? Does it have a solid reputation outside of the SBC?

I'll be visiting the campus in a few weeks, so hopefully that will give me a good opportunity to meet with some professors. I'm trying to decide between Nobts and Sbts for my theological education (MDiv). I'd say my theology is slightly reformed, but I'm honestly still trying to figure things out. While I want strong academics, I'd like the school to have a strong pragmatic side as well. Any info would help, thanks.

2. Havensdad

Havensdad New Member

A few things:

First, NOBTS is a well respected school. It is both regionally AND ATS accredited, and thus finds wide acceptance. You will have no problem in this area. I would put NOBTS in the middle of the road, in terms of reputation of the six Southern Baptist Seminaries. Personally, I would put it above Southwestern, but I know many would disagree with me. Certainly it does not have the esteemed reputation of SBTS or SEBTS.

Second, I took online courses from NOBTS (for intro and intermediate Greek and Hebrew). The classes were high quality, and rigorous. In fact, NOBTS is leading the field among the big six seminaries in its technology department.

Third, you will find at NOBTS that there is a certain crowd of people who will have a slight bias against your "slightly reformed" theology. Remember that NOBTS hosted the 3:16 "anti-calvinist" conference. SBTS would certaily be a better "fit" for you, theologically, although I doubt you would have any serious trouble at NOBTS...you might find that one, grumpy professor, that didn't like you, but probably not. I had no problem, but again, my classes were not exactly theologically centered classes, and I was in an online environment, rather than hanging out in the halls with people.

Fourth, NOBTS is slightly cheaper than SBTS, if you are SBC.

In all, I would say if you can get into SBTS, go that route. Otherwise, NOBTS is certainly a good second choice.

3. jblong

jblong New Member

Cool, thanks for the information. That's sort of the impression I had about Nobts. I'm sure Sbts is a better "fit," but I also know the value of being around people with different views than myself. I also get excited when thinking about the diverse opportunity for ministry in New Orleans, not that Louisville wouldn't have just as many.

It is definitely a matter that I'll be praying intensely over. I know there are a few professors at Nobts who's theology lines up more with my own, so hopefully I'll be able to talk to them when I visit.