1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured New Perspective on Paul: Good, Bad, or Neutral?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by 12strings, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't get it... but I hope we can keep this light-hearted.

I don't know if there is a Lutheran understanding of justificaiton pre-Luther. I'd be interested to see how other early church fathers talk about justification to see if Wright's view could be consistent with them.

2. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

You do NOTHING but antagonize, criticize and offer diatribes. He asked you a simple question as to YOUR understanding of NT Wright. It seems you only wish to parrot someone else. I will say AGAIN, there is ABSOLUTELY no problem with you disagreeing, the problem is the MANNER in which you simply and casually dismiss someone else as simply deficient and errant, as if your declaration is supposed to make that so.

3. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You don't get what? That NPP says for 2000 years we got salvation wrong? Or my being facetious (maybe not = maybe they're right) which they're not, so no worries there.

Oh, there was understanding of justification pre Luther. Luther rediscovered truth.

So, are you justified by Christ alone through faith alone or not?

#83 preacher4truth, Mar 1, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2012
  4. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It caught fire at what was called the Auburn Avenue bible conference.[around 2001..or 2002....the teaching had been cooking before that...I do not remember all the details

I heard the messages......these men who have been useful ...have gone off the track...many have reached out to them....

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    doug wilson
    steve schlissel
    ep sanders
    steve wilkins

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Add James D. G. Dunn, Funk, Malina, John Elliot, and Esler to the list.

And, our very own Skandelon, although calling him a "scholar" is obviously a stretch... :smilewinkgrin:

7. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't think Wright would have a problem w/ your final statement. The problem is the way we are defining "justification". I wonder if you could explain Wright's view of justification, which is why I asked.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Indeed, the Catholic understanding (that underlies the NPP) is that justification is a process (akin to an Evangelical or Protestant view of sanctification) that requires works to complete. It is that, primarily, that separates RCC from Protestant and Evangelical doctrine.

9. preacher4truth

IF you know anything about Wrights position on justification, you WILL know he sees justification as not being forensic (judicial) and final as declared by God, or complete, but as an analytical state, completed by man. Thus the first position above (forensic) would be monergistic; final, eternal, completed. The second position above is synergistic and the position of NPP making righteousness dependent upon mans work, not upon Gods declaration. It's one of their first heresies. It's also something I would say you agree with as you embrace NPP teachings.

You have yet to address anything I've given you, including your wrong and relative misinterpretation of Luthers rediscovery of the biblical truth of justification. I'll take that as you cannot answer. Your interpretation denies truth as being static, and causes truth to have to be reinterpreted in the light of the times, contemporary cultures, relativism &c. Thus by your implication truth is not eternal, but changes with the times we are in.

So, again, are you justified by Christ alone, or not?

Furthermore NPP denies the efficacy of imputation, in that NPP teaches sin/righteousness cannot be imputed from one to another. You're aware of this heresy as well, right?

#89 preacher4truth, Mar 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2012
  10. Greektim

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to beat a dead horse... but this is simply false.

First, I have never admitted to embracing the NPP. That's is your first strawman. I am simply defending your misrepresentation of Wright.

Second, Wright affirms a forensic understanding of justification (but a justification that is post-conversion, i.e. vindication). In that article that was posted early on in this thread, Wright was quoted explaining how justification understood as a Jewish-court scene word. So you are simply mistaken about his view.

Then you say

What have you given me? Your mistaken view of Wright? You have clearly missed everything I say b/c you are too narrow minded to consider the possibility that you are wrong (your popery) or too thick to follow what I say (your ignorance).

Seriously, what have you given me to address? I've asked you to discuss this with me and all you do is talk about the things you've addressed. When asked, you simply accuse me of dodging instead of giving me something to address. This is madness.

Then you throw out the thing with truth. Can you build any more strawmen???

Yet again, you miss Wright's point altogether. He doesn't deny the efficacy of imputation. He says that the imputation associated w/ justification is wrong. So he is not denying its efficacy but its reality. Again, you have no clue what he says. You make strawmen. For instance:

Game set match... read up on Wright before you act like you know something about Wright. I'll give you the last word b/c frankly I don't care what you say any more. It is impossible to have a cogent conversation with you. You accuse w/out info. The comparison between Luther and Wright is obvious. You are standing in the place of the RCC.

#90 Greektim, Mar 2, 2012
  11. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

This conversation has helped reinforce how difficult it is to have complicated conversations about nuanced theological views in this kind of a forum.

When we arrive at our positions with preconceived notions, and those among who have actually studied (academically) the issues and personalities offer us correctives (which we dismiss) we do nothing to advance a serious conversation.

Not to speak for GreekTim or anyone else, but while I appreciate NPP for its total commitment to NT theology I am not an advocate of the position nor in deep theological cahoots with individuals like Tom Wright (whom I infinitely respect and enjoy reading and conversing with.)

I'll try to reply to a few good points later on, but I am deeply disappointed at the nature of this conversation (the OP was a good btw) and how it has isolated around one issue and not the broader conversation. Thanks for those who have been charitable.

12. preacher4truth

:laugh:

Why the pejorative laden post?

First off, you're not being honest and are angry using name calling. What I've stated about NPP and forensic justification within this systen, and their rejection of this is absolutely true.

Secondly, what I've stated concerning the view of NPP is well known fact.

Here's your comment on this accepting NPP, then you act as if you don't:

This is accepting this position as true. In your own words.

And more:

You agree with what you THINK are his teachings. They're compelling to you because you've been hoodwinked to accept his errors.

He rejects the completion and eternality of forensic justification. It's a proven fact.

Nothing I have said is strawman. At all. But dealing with you has proven to be dealing with one who won't be honest about what NPP and especially what Wright actually teaches.

Just because Wright had some good NT studies doesn't turn his false teachings on justification/imputation into truth.

Of course he attempts to move justification apart from salvation. But it's too late. He needs to recant his position that judicial justification falls short.

Leave off your pejorative insults of thick, ignorant, popery and other strawman comments. It's rather childish banter.

What I've offered of Wrights view is truth.

I ask again, are you completely and eternally justified forensicly, by God or not?

A simple yes or no is sufficient, minus the name calling and character attacks. OK? Thanks.

In addition, a red flag is raised whenever someone goes against the finality and eternality of one being declared righteous by God Himself. Simply allowing false, nonbiblical doctrines, and doctrines that go against this traditional truth is a bad sign to say the least. This is not following the rule of Scripture in 2 Thess. 2:15.

#92 preacher4truth, Mar 2, 2012
  13. preacher4truth

One more greektim strawman: The statement that MacArthur (and another?) is in essence preaching the same thing. That's totally untrue. This shows you truly don't understand the implications, teachings, falsehoods, nor what is at stake with this false teaching, and the fact that TMS calls this NPP doctrine an insidious heresy.

You are incorrect here as well.

14. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

Are you completely blind? Pejorative? If any, it is in RESPONSE to YOUR PEJORATIVE laden and off point responses.

15. preacher4truth

An excellent rebuttal of NPP. This also shows that Galatians is defending soteriology, not sanctification (as Wright has twisted this passage from soteriology to sanctification. The intent of soteriological defense is clearly shown in the first chapter) and shows how those imposing the Law upon others are false brothers &c. Sanders, Dunn and Wright are refuted as preaching a false Gospel.

http://www.tms.edu/MediaPlayer.aspx?id=0f53d515-b2bd-489a-b8e5-270fd8d92680

16. Skandelon

Skandelon <b>Moderator</b>

Hmmm, where have I heard this before... :tear:

17. Baptist boy

Baptist boy New Member

I think it's bad. As with any type of False doctrine! They really think the last 1,900 plus years of Christins perspectives on Paul has been wrong all along and that thy've got it right. That's pure arrogancy and should be fought against.

18. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    My understanding of NPP is very limited but I have been meaning to reseach this area for a long time.

I have some questions for Greektim and preachinjesus.

What is the historical "rediscovery" that NPP proponents use to base their views? Are there specific documents from 1st century Jewish thinking that have informed these views and what are the main concepts from those documents that have been particularly influential to NPP thinking?

19. preacher4truth

Oh, I know where. It's been said about and to you several times on here. :)

No need to tear up, it happens in debate.

I find it interesting that a mod pulls a quote out of a response to me. Namely an inflammatory post filled with pejoratives, name calling, and character attacks against me, for no reason whatsoever, nor as a retaliation for the same, because none of that came from me. Anyone can take note it was uncalled for, yet a mod uses it to cast ridicule. :wavey:

Yes, very interesting that it wasn't snipped, but just used conveniently. I really couldn't care less, just noting his behavior. Again. :thumbsup:

#99 preacher4truth, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012
  20. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wright's historical argument is based on his assertion that 2nd Century Judaism was not legalistic, but grace-orientated and that therefore all those who have taken Paul (or indeed the Lord Jesus- eg. Mark 7:8-9) to be opposing Justification by faith against Judaism's justification by works (Acts 15:5) have got it wrong.

However it's Wright who is wrong (pun intended!). There have been enough publications of Inter-testamental Jewish writigs to show that much of it was legalistic and works orientated. I heard a lecture on the subject by Sam Waldron and came away with a print-out containing four such quotes. I put it away somewhere for safe keeping and now I can't find it! :tonofbricks:

I would advise brethren on this board to be very suspicious of NPP. It is part of an attmpt to get an ecumenical understanding on Justification that will satisfy the Church of Rome and it changes the meaning both of God's righteousness (Wright says it is His faithfulness to His covenant) and justification. It does away with the imputation of the obedience of Christ (Rom 5:19).

The problem is not that NPP is a blatent attack on Christian doctrine. There is a lot of good stuff in Wright's books. The problem is that it's a subtle attack on Christian doctrine. If you take a glass filled with healthful Florida Orange juice and put just a drop or two of cyanide in it, it will kill you just as surely as a glassful of pure cyanide. In fact, it's more dangerous because it's harder to spot. Who is the more dangerous? The maniac who comes rushing at you with a knife, or the friend who puts one arm around you and then slides the same knife in between your ribs with the other hand (2 Sam 20:9-10)? I think Wright is more to be feared than the previous Bishop of Durham who denied the Resurrection and a host of other fundamental doctrines.

Steve

#100 Martin Marprelate, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 3, 2012