1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Prime Minister of Australia an Evangelical Christian

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Jerome, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    New York Times plays up Liberal Party head as 'new kind' Evangelical Prime Minister:

Prime Minister Scott Morrison of Australia with his wife, Jenny, and daughters after being sworn in on Friday. Mr. Morrison speaks openly about his evangelical faith.
    [​IMG]

nytimes.com/2018/08/27/world/australia/scott-morrison-evangelical-prime-minister.html

#1 Jerome, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
  2. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

#2 Matt Black, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Faith of the last few Aussie PMs

Morrison: raised uniting church, assemblies of god while PM
    Turnbull: raised presbyterian, anglican wedding, catholic while PM
    Abbott: catholic (Jesuit)
    Rudd: raised catholic, married anglican, non-denominational while PM
    Gillard: raised baptist, atheist while PM
    Howard: raised methodist, sydney anglican while PM

I would consider Morison, Howard and possibly Rudd to be evangelical Christians.

The Sydney Anglican diocese is ardently conservative evangelical as opposed to the Anglican church in most of the rest of Australia which is more high church (catholic-lite) liberal Anglican.

Are Sydney Anglicans actually Anglicans? – Opinion – ABC Religion & Ethics (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I attend a sydney anglican church and most of the church is much more conservative than me on theological and social issues. They are also more conservative than my previous baptist church which is more liberal than I am. I still consider myself baptist and don't really identify as anglican even though I have attended sydney anglican churches for the last decade. I also identify more as a conservative evangelical than a liberal evangelical although I acknowledge I frequently straddle both camps.

#3 Gold Dragon, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Matt Black

Matt Black Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Ah yes, the Jensen brothers...

5. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/aug/29/the-prosperity-doctrine-and-neoliberal-jesusing-scott-morrison-style

"He is a neoliberal....Morrison spoke of his 'personal faith in Jesus Christ' in his 2008 maiden speech, in which he also thanked pastors Brian Houston and Leigh Cameron of what has been described as a 'money machine', the Hillsong Church, for their 'great assistance' to him. Citing Houston as 'a mentor', Morrison is a proud and public worshipper at the Horizon Church, which, like Hillsong, is Pentecostal, and similarly an 'American-style mega-church...where the gospel of prosperity is preached'"

6. 777

777 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    don't know squat about the Horizon Church but don't like mega-churches and don't like the gospel of prosperity. Ugh.

But, this guy's church aside, yet another new PM for Australia? They are going through them fast, Turnbull backed off climate change but that didn't help him last. I kind of like this system in a way, some PMs don't last their first term, but then there's no such concept as a lame duck for them. Bet Trump is happy to see Turnbull go, this new guy has a lump of coal for him.