1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New SBC Events, Calls for Resignation and Investigation

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by preachinjesus, Jul 9, 2009.

1. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Over the past several days there has been an erupting firestorm of activity surrounding the Executive Board of the Southern Baptist Convention.

Perhaps it is best put in a blog post by Timmy Brister: http://timmybrister.com/2009/07/08/morris-chapman-sbc-clark-logan/

Many of the points have to do with Morris Chapman's report at the recent annual convention meeting in Louisville, his dramatic opposition to the Great Commission Resurrgence, and the recent abrupt resignation of a senior executive at the Executive Committee in Nashville.

The later is reported in the Southern Baptist Texan: http://www.texanonline.net/default.asp?action=article&aid=6307&issue=7/8/2009

Also in several twitter feeds significant leaders (Johny Hunt, Al Mohler, etc) are asking big question of the EC.

So what say ye?

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what to think at this point. I didn't like what Dr. Chapman said at the convention in his report. But if he doesn't like the GCR, he has the right and the obligation to say something. But the forced resignation of a Calvinist grad of SBTS coupled with his attacks on Calvinism at the convention make his situation a little questionable, at best.

The really interesting part is the support for Dr. Logan by Johnny Hunt and Al Mohler. I think Dr. Mohler may be finding a soft spot on which to land in the next few months. I have spoken to him a couple of times at the convention and he is always a gentleman.

3. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I haven't really kept up with the whole GCR discussion...

What is Chapman's beef with the program?

What is his justification for going to such extraordinary lengths to undermine the GCR, even though the Convention has voted for it?

Is it just Chapman, or is there a much larger contingent of SBC leaders opposed to it? (I remember Patterson had "reservations".)

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

What I keep reading about reminds me of Gal. 5:15, "But if you bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another."

In the past they claimed to be fighting liberalism. Now they are fighting each other.