1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Seminary Push for Artsy Preachers

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Jerome, Aug 13, 2019.

1. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dallas Theological Seminary focusing on art as gateway to cultural understanding

"Mary Tomas Gallery in the Dallas Design District. I was there to meet 18 graduate students and a painter named Dawn Waters Baker who has recently completed two years as artist-in-residence....Baker stood in front of an enormous black and blue painting...and spoke to the class in a low voice about colors, shadow...and the lasting effects of slavery on the American psyche. But these were not art students nor historians. They were seminarians: pastors- and missionaries-in-training at Dallas Theological Seminary"

"Later in the academic year, another group of Dallas seminary students will spend a week together at South By Southwest. Still another group will register for a class called 'Theology at Sundance Film Festival'....why are evangelicals in Dallas studying Terrence Malick and Kendrick Lamar alongside Augustine and Luther? Some experts say it's part of a larger trend among Christians for art appreciation"

"'The mindset has shifted from a sense of, 'You're tainted if you support these industries'"...Erik Lokkesmoe said....'For the past 10 or 15 years, the Christian community has been marinating in Jeremiah 29'....The Biblical passage to which Lokkesmoe refers commanded ancient Israel to assimilate during their exile in Babylon"

"Tim Basselin is the [DTS] professor whose class was...in the Mary Tomas Gallery. When I...ask why seminarians belong in art galleries, he talked about empathy, perspective and exposing students to new experiences. 'I'm telling them,...pick up a paintbrush and practice a new form and see how a new form forms you'."

"seminarian Jason Cook...explained why the art class has meant more to him than many of his other classes. 'We seminary students practice how to handle and analyze ancient texts. That's a lot of what we do. But...I think the theological questions that are most pressing have to do with the cultural problems that are facing our generation. I think art, poetry, culture, music and film are fundamental to us figuring out how to do that more creatively'."