1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New Volume on John Albert Broadus

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Rhetorician, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Gentlemen and Gentle Ladies and All Who Love Baptist History:

I am pleased to report that a new volume on John A. Broadus; Baptist Statesman, Civil War Chaplain, co-Founder of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary, Baptist orator of renown, teacher of rhetoric and preaching, pastor, theologian, classicist, University of Virginia chaplain, et al is about to be released.

Dr. David Dockery and myself are the co-editors of this volume of scholarly essays. We also have Dr. Timothy George, Dr. Tom Nettles, Dr. Rick Melick, and Dr. James Patterson--Church Historian--also of Union University as contributors. We also included two outstanding young pastor/scholars who make insightful contributions to the work.

The work is historical, oratorical, hermeneutical, personal, homiletical, and includes New Testament scholarship. It will be well worth the price. I think all who know of the development of the SBC in the American Historical milieu will find this a work they not only want to read, but also have in their library for a ready reference. Each of the chapters is well researched and worth the price of the work alone.

I encourage all to help us disseminate this new work about one of our great Baptist forebears of the 19th Century; John Albert Broadus.

PM or email me with comments or questions. Thank you very much.

sdg!:thumbsup:

rd

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Hurray!!! Thank you all for your hard work in these matters. We love them, espeically those of us who love to buy books. :smilewinkgrin:

Now for the ultimate question: Where O where can we buy? And did you bind this properly? lol Sewn and stiched! No glue!

3. Rhetorician

Rhetorician Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reformed Baptist Response

Hey Brother,

I hope you are well. I like the name you have chosen. I wish all of us Baptists were of your persuasion. But, that is a topic for another day and another thread.

It was a mea culpa for me to say that "it is about to be released." What I should have said was "it is in the pipeline." I would say that it may be as little as six months or as long as twelve months.

But, there is a tentative "Broadus Symposium" scheduled for mid February at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. If you want I will try to post the dates on the BB when they are confirmed?

I had hoped that the Broadus Project would generate some interest on the BB and elsewhere? So we will see how it goes.

Look for it and I will tell you all I know as soon as I know it.

sdg!:thumbsup:

r

4. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

We must becareful or we will be called Broadites. lol I don't mind waiting for a good work like this to be done. Just pass along one little Reformed Baptist who loves books would like to see it bound properly...cloth, sewn, and stitched.

Thanks.