1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

New world view vs. Old world View

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by zrs6v4, Mar 31, 2008.

1. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I have been studying The 2 most common Christian views on the world and basically its age and God's literal 7 days. I did throw a few of my own (and do not necessarly believe them) ideas in the mix. I just did a basic study on the general ideas. I am sure this has been brought up many times, but I never have discussed it with anyone.

I am mainly interested in the dinosaur parts that most refer to Job 40:15-24.

and let me know your side and your determined reason to belief..

There are 2 positions on the 7 days of creation among Christians today. The old world view and the new world view.
    New world view is that the earth is around 6,000 years old. The belief is that God created the earth in 7 literal days. They believe this because of the Hebrew word “yom” translated a 24 hour day. This view would also throws evolution and all science down the drain. Dr. John Lightfoot in the 6th century said the earth was 4,004 years old when Christ came and in the 17th century Bishop James Ussher did as well by going through the old testament Books and marking dates and times. My swing on it is that it would make the world 6,012 years old roughly which would explain the beginning of the evil cycle in the past 12 years. It’s the devils 1,000-year reign beginning. And I can’t imagine how nasty it will be towards the end. Look at gas prices in the last 10 years up triple, presidency issues, war issues, gay rights, abortion, and so on has multiplied and will only get worse I predict as time comes to an end on the year 7,000 which is precisely perfect to God in exactly that very hour and second in which we cannot determine. Mathew 24:26 “But concerning the day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father only.”

The old world view is that basically in the creation of the world there could have been huge time gaps of millions of years between each so called day. The point is to God there is no time, but we look at everything in a timely view so what could have been like a day to him could have been like a million years to us. This would make science correct in some ways and mean the earth is really billions of years old. Here is a verse that is interesting in the letter Peter wrote from the Roman prison (2 Peter 3:8-10)
    But do not overlook this one fact, beloved, that with the Lord one day is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slow to fulfill his promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief, then the heavens will pass away with a roar, and the heavenly bodies will be burned up and dissolved, and the earth and the works that are done on it will be exposed. Peter is saying the end is near and will be here before we know it and will be gone just as fast leaving the lost behind and delivering the found. The Lord longs for all and wants all to come, but all will not come. The key point I am going to build on is that to the Lord a thousand years to us are like a day to him and a day to him is like a thousand years to us.

If I were taking the new earth view I think the world was created in 7 literal days as the first small sign of His infinite power, not that He couldn’t make the earth in a millisecond or faster, but He did it as a miracle and a faith test as many times in the bible. Yes the bible isn’t always word for word with parables in the new testament and deepness, but in this case the Lord created the earth in 7 days believe it or not and took rest on the 7th. He set up our calender and time measure and created everything. The world was going and man building until the flood, then it was going again with the 8 saved by the ark, until Jesus, and then will be finished at the second coming. It would make sense that since the Lord uses the number 7 as significant and the number 6 to mark the beast that the thousand year reign of the beast would be 6,000 to 7,000 and the Lord would return on the year 7,000. Noah was on the ark 377 days and it was in the 7th chapter that it said that. It also seems that every 2,000 years roughly is how long man can go without losing faith in God. Noah roughly the year 1500, Jesus the year 4,000, Jesus again the year 7,000 and its complete. This also means man and dinosaur would have been together and dinosaur destroyed by man and possibly in the flood being not clean or unclean, unless Noah took baby dinosaurs on the ark and they became extinct further on. This also means the animals on the earth now are the same as the beginning, but many animal species have been extinct, so they did not evolve in any way, but simply lessened with time as man grew to kill them off. There were most likely more animal species on the ark, or maybe not. There are also some species of possible dinosaur from the beginning such as the alligator or the crocodile.

If I was taking the old world view I would say yes God created in the 7 days as He said He did, but our 7 days and His are incredibly different and I could even say the difference in time if its even present. This would also back science up in that the earth is roughly 15 billion years old. And there measures on lives of things. This also means man and dinosaur could have been separate whereas man and dinosaur in the new world would have been together and dinosaur destroyed by man and possibly in the flood being not clean or unclean, unless Noah took baby dinosaurs on the ark and they became extinct further on. This also means the animals on the earth now are the same as the beginning, but many animal species have been extinct, so they did not evolve in any way, but simply lessened with time as man grew to kill them off. There were most likely more animal species on the ark, or maybe not.

2. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

This is where you are wrong. There really is no need for this question if science is interpreted objectively and applied to the words of the Bible.
    Don't get too bogged down with numbers and numerology and stuff--that will lead to confusion. Take Genesis as God saying what he meant and meaning what he said.

3. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I know that Genesis is not a science book. I believe everyword of the bible and nothing of evolution. I am just saying if the new world view is, then evolutionists have no argument. evolution would have to take millions of years. Science also dates things being a millions of years old, which in the new world view being false. either way I have not an ounce of faith into evolution. thanks for the clarification though.

I am not confused, but the different views are very interesting to me. I am a very open person to views that Christians debate in different ways. some are more obvious than others but some like these I stay in the middle because who knows other than God.

4. Rubato 1

Rubato 1 New Member

I understand your point, then. It is a good one.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Lee Strobel's A Case For A Creator would be an excellent read for you! I'm sure you would find it quite interesting...I did.

6. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

it is very good. I have seen the movie.

7. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

I beleive the flood was the so called "ice age" that changed the lands and barried fossils. I say I stay in the middle on this subject but there is more to say from me on the new world view.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

There was a movie? How did they do that? The book is a collection of interviews with varied sholars and scientists.

So we are on the same page...Lee Strobel the journalist?

9. zrs6v4

zrs6v4 Member

Yep and the movie is also called "a case for a creator"

You need to watch the movie and I need to read the book

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Will do :thumbs:

11. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Thanks, his research is thorough.

Do you know if he has other DVD's for his "case..." books off the top of your head?