1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News blackout on Thailand?

Discussion in '2006 Archive' started by El_Guero, Sep 23, 2006.

1. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

So, why is there a news blackout on Thailand?

Are the reporters and news syndicates that afraid now? What ever happened to journalistic responsibility? We keep hearing that is why they publish quite a bit of the trash we have to read. But, we have a major world government toppled, and there is almost no news.

What are they afraid of?

2. Forever settled in heaven

hmm? i've been reading abt it the whole week.

where've u been? :saint:

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

I've heard about it too....and I'm very concerned about it as well.
    My church has a very significant missionary presence in Thailand, and I hope that this military coup will not hinder this great work that is headed by native Thai people (several indigenous chuches, schools, radio broadcasts, etc.).

I would ask that all of you pray about this.

4. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You are a genius!

How many tanks are in the city?

How many troops are in the city?

How many troops were deployed to the south to prevent a muslim civil war?

What is the objective of the leaders of the coup?

You are a genius . . . not so sure about the saint.

5. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

A news blackout of this level would indicate that the news agencies are scared of being shot for doing their jobs,

Or the news agencies have been shut down.

Not necessarily bad, not necessarily good.

6. Melanie

Melanie Active Member
    Site Supporter

Maybe you are in a news blackout, we have heard about it in Aussie. Sounds as if it is a good thing, the ousted President has little concern about the workers of Thailand.:thumbsup:

7. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Wellllll I realize that everyone knows about it . . .

But, the news agencies aren't reporting much . . . if at all . . . Not that I checked them, but I did.

Silence is a little unusual 4 almost 5 days on. They are letting civilians take pictures with soldiers . . . but, they are not telling anyone what the objective is?

The made the command decision ahead of time to lock down the media . . . ok . . . then if they made that detailed planning . . . why didn't they make other planning like what their timeline is?

8. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    http://www.channelnewsasia.com/thaicrisis/newsarchives.htm

there you go!

Latest is that Mrs Thaksin has joined her husband in London.

For those who don't know, the ousted former PM of Thailand was actually running businesses along side his political posts. Other Thai policticians do that too. Amazing, isn't it?

#8 Su Wei, Sep 26, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2006
  9. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

I'm totally outta the loop on this one.

What's up with Thailand?

And C4, your church has a major presence there? What area? A friend of mine is from near Jakarta (sp?) and it isn't exactly the type of place you could so much as carry a bible around, let alone be openly Christian. Perhaps much has changed in the last few years?

Nevermind, that's Indonesia. Just hit me when I typed the name of the city...

It's definitely late!

Anyhow, good for your church. Now that I've got my countries straight, I can tell you that Thailand, IMO, is the one nation I've always thought of as in the most dire need of Christ.

But back to the topic...what's going on in Thailand? :confused:

10. Su Wei

Su Wei Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hey Gina,
    Just curious, what do you know about Thailand that makes you feel:

"that Thailand, IMO, is the one nation I've always thought of as in the most dire need of Christ"?

As for what's going on in Thailand, the PM Thaksin has been ousted (On charges of corruption) in a bloodless coup by certain factions of the military.

That's too bad. I always though he looked a bit like certain depictions of Buddha.

11. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Gina

Who is C4? I know a C4, but I do not see his post in the thread . . .

Just curious.

God bless you and yes, I worry about Thailand. They have some beautiful people that will spend eternity separated from God for the sin of their country . . . .

;)

12. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

Su Wei,

Thanks! That is much better than what we have gotten in the West . . . there is still much less news than I would think appropriate, but it does sound like a dictatorship in the making...

God bless you.

Wayne

13. Forever settled in heaven

hmm, are u an expert in Ad Hominem?

speaking of a news blackout, here's what a simple Google News yields:

abbrev for length ...

14. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

hmmmmm

Thank you . . .

Thank you for your responce from google. Su Wei brought some great sources to light as well. However, a google search before I posted this thread did not produce the recent news that your search produced.

Thanks!

15. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe because I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where we have a large Thai population, the coup news is making it into the papers.

That being said, I can understand it not being high value news in other parts of the country. Nothing conspiritorial, just a matter of what is of interest to a local market. That being said, it looks like the coup has the blessing of Thailand's king. His Majesty has more than a little pull in these matters. He has been known to go on tv and scold politicians for their bad behavior. And the pols took it.

And it is ktn4eg whose church has a large missionary presence, not C4K, our man in Country Kildare.

16. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You have shed some light! And there must be regional news issues involved.

My concern about the blackout was the amount of time it took for news to begin leaking out . . . reporters are there. And this would normally be worth some money, but it was not leaking out to CNN or BBC . . . except for the minimum, "There has been a coup." That was what I found unusual . . . CNN and BBC reporters get paid for writing news articles . . . and their articles didn't seem to be getting published.

Sometimes we could use someone to scold our politicians.

I thought that was who Gina was referring to . . . and did she say she was tired?

Thanks!

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Hey, they both had a c/k sound in their name and the number 4. Ya gotta forgive me on that one! :wavey:

18. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Gina--
    The local church to which I belong--Lighthouse Baptist--has had a missionary presence in NE Thailand for almost 15 years (Mekong Evangelical Mission).

It was started by some Thai natives who were members of our fellowship that were burdened for their homeland.

In addition to reaching the Thai people, they have reached out into Communist Laos as well.

When the tsunami of December 2004 struck the southern region of that land, they undertook a project to re-build an entire village that was destroyed, and in so doing, opened up the Gospel to a people that were previously very much opposed to it.

For some pictures of this work, visit our website
    www.lighthouseministries.org
    (Click on the link "Thailand, Current Fellowship & Images")

We appreciate your interest in and prayers for this work.

As all of us know, when God starts blessing a mission work anywhere, you can be sure that Satan will start trying to destroy it, so please pray much for this situation.

19. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

KTN, that is wonderful! I've looked over some of it, and will definitely add it to my list of faves tonight as a ministry to pray over regularly.

Su: A number of things I've read, studied, but mostly from experience with a group of people from there that taught me quite a bit about the culture. Overall a very raw subject that I've never really discussed with anyone. Maybe one day. Not that bad doesn't happen everywhere, but at least some try a bit harder to hide it, hopefully from shame?

Anyone who hasn't checked out the link KTN posted, check it out now~ it's worth the time!

20. El_Guero

El_Guero New Member

You are a riot!