1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News from Kazakstan

Discussion in '2000-02 Archive' started by Squire Robertsson, Feb 13, 2002.

1. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    On January 29, 2002 our EC-B Brethren in Uralsk, Kazakstan sent the following report (Herself translated it from the Russian and I condensed it for posting here on the Board.)

Our church serves God by being independent from the world.

In early June, 2001, officials from the local Procurator's office came to our church. They "requested" that we register our church. These officials called us a "social association"; they did not recognize us as an organized body of believers. Later, the Procurator's office called in Brothers E. P. Dyachenko and S. N. Krasnov. They were informed that they need to register the church as a "social association". The Procurator also required a 775 Tengi fine for non-compliance.

On November 10, 2001, Brother Dyachenko received an administrative notice on how not to break the law from the Procurator's office. The Brother explained to the church that the head of the Church is Jesus Christ; the Church should listen to Him. Registration, he said, would compromise the Church with the world.

On November 15, 2001, Brother Dyachenko received a second administrative notice to register the "social association".

On December 12, 2001, a local court in Uralsk ordered the church to pay a second 775 Tengi fine.

We ask for your prayers that we might be left alone to live peaceably. Further, we ask that letters be sent to the following requesting the stopping of government actions against our church. <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>President N. A. Nazabayev
    10 Beybetshelik Street
    Astana, Kazakstan
    473000<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>B. M. Mametov
    Procurator of Uralsk Oblast
    42 Baturen Street
    Uralsk, Kazakstan
    417000<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Thank you for your attention to this matter,
    In His service,
    Keith

2. lidia

lidia Guest

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;On November 10, 2001, Brother Dyachenko received an administrative notice on how not to break the law from the Procurator's office. The Brother explained to the church that the head of the Church is Jesus Christ; the Church should listen to Him. Registration, he said, would compromise the Church with the world.&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;

It seems to me that the local governmental requirement is not any more demanding than what would be required of churches in the United States and does not remotely approach persecution. Religious organizations in the United States are not entirely exempt from government requirements. For instance, if a church has clerical employees, it is required to submit various information to the social security system and the IRS.

3. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lidia:
    It seems to me that the local governmental requirement is not any more demanding than what would be required of churches in the United States and does not remotely approach persecution. Religious organizations in the United States are not entirely exempt from government requirements. For instance, if a church has clerical employees, it is required to submit various information to the social security system and the IRS.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Good question. Mind you we are dealing with governmental systems far removed from ours in their foundational principles. Under the inherited Imperial and Soviet systems, there is no chisled in stone First Amendment. The State Authorities are/were known for trying to control the content of the pulpit. Further, the Authorities expect the church leadership to answer questions about the activities of their members. Can you spell "snitch"?
    Hoping to shed more light than heat,
    Keith

4. lidia

lidia Guest

Maybe it would be better to wait until more serious actions are actually attempted by the government, rather than to react strongly to rather minor requirements. It is not at all clear that more serious forms of government action are in store for those christians.

5. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Kazakstan is a former Soviet republic. The powers that be are the same ones that were there before the break up. The Brethren have been dealing with these folks for over 80+ years. One problem is that the dispatch we translated was sent to sister EC-B church here in America. So, not everything was spelled out for a non-Russian reader.
    In His service,
    Keith

6. Herself

Herself New Member

Don't think that the actions of these Brothers and their churchs are anything new. The rejection of government registration has been an article of faith since 1962 of the underground church, the инициативники and independent churches.

Your prayers and letters are of great help to these our Brothers and sisters in Christ,

Anna G.

7. Jamal5000

Jamal5000 New Member

This situation reminds so much of how the 1st century Christians lived: they had to fight against the majority who in one way or another did not that for which they stood.

Living in the "Christian" United States can make you take our freedom to worship for granted. I gotta always remind myself of that.

[​IMG]

8. A.J.Armitage

A.J.Armitage New Member

So now I don't feel so guilty about how our churches don't refuse any contact with the government.

You said the fine is 775 Tengi. How much is that? Is it real money, or is it Weimar currency?

9. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I am told that the Brethren would be willing to file for and accept a "birth certificate". I.e. a piece of paper that simply acknowledges their church's existence and no more than that.

As for the Tengi exchange rate, think of it on a 1/1 basis with the dollar. But, the people paying the fine only earn more or less 30 a month.

10. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  11. Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus New Member

12. Squire Robertsson

Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Okay at the present our First amendment right are cast in mud rather than concrete. I look at the conditions in America very, very realisticly. I was however trying to answer the question about Kazakstan.

I would inform you that I serve the Lord in Corinth-by-the-Bay (aka San Francisco, California). I am under no illusions as to the kind regard and tender mercies of the local powers that be for folks like us.