1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News Helicopters Collide, Killing Four

Discussion in '2007 Archive' started by JFox1, Jul 27, 2007.

1. JFox1

JFox1 New Member

2. Andre

Andre Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It is very sad that our voyeurism creates a demand for such coverage. The content of a police chase is not really news - such things appeal to us for less than honourable reasons. Same deal with TV shows like "Cops". Its all about voyeurism, there is nothing useful to be learned.

And I will freely admit that I understand the appeal of such material. I now simply exercize my flicker if such material comes on. I feel better for it.

3. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I watched the tape of this. It was a terrible tragedy.

In the future in such instances I think that only one news helicopter should be allowed in the air, alternating between stations, and it can provide the feed to all of the other stations.

4. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The criminal is likely going to be charged in the deaths / injuries to the reporters. That's overboard. It wasn't his fault it happened.

5. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not directly, but most certainly indirectly.

Respectfully disagree here, as had he not been breaking the law, the incident would have never occured. 'Course the degree of manslaughter charged may change my mind on this point, & when that's decided I may re-evaluate my stance.

I DO however think he should be held accountable to some degree for the tragedy since w/o his indiscretions it would not have happened.

Something we should ALL keep in mind though - We are free to choose our actions, but we are NOT free to choose the consequences of our actions! (No man is an island etc)

6. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    So if you are arrested and have to stand trial and a juror or a judge is killed in a car accident on the way to the courthouse would you consider yourself responsible for that person's death?

7. carpro

carpro Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Absolutely.

An indication of the times. Never accept responsibility for anything bad if there's someone else to blame.

This accident is the fault of the pilots involved.

8. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, point made! I'll concede; from a legal standpoint!

However I would feel morally responsible if some illegal, unethical, or just plain stoopid action of mine caused anothers tragedy!

Our actions can have enough, totally unintended, negative connotation when we're being as Christ-like as possible, so I would feel extreme guilt over something that fit the above categories that caused grief to another.

9. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Ken is right and so is Carpro. There is no legal culpability here. Morally? Okay, maybe, although that's still murky. I think the news director who sent these pilots into "harm's way" are just as morally culpable and maybe those of us who glue ourselves to the set are morally responsible, too. At the end of the day, accidents happen and we don't have to blame someone. They're just accidents. I don't mean to demean the pilots or the loss suffered by their friends and families. But let's not demean it further by blaming someone just because he's there.

10. kubel

kubel New Member

IMO, if it were cops that were killed while chasing the guy, he would be responsible in some way for their deaths, since the criminal would have an obligation to stop at the request of the police, but did not, forcing the police into an obligation to stop the criminal.

But the pilots and cameramen onboard those choppers weren't involved in the pursuit in any way- they were merely observers. Maybe I'm making no sense, but I don't think this guy should be charged for their deaths.