1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

News: New Breed of Men: Metrosexuals

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by hsmom3, Jul 12, 2003.

1. Elnora

Elnora New Member

I looked at the site and it seems to me just another way for marketers to get people to part with their hard earned money. [​IMG] They had a poll so I took it and voted pathetic. I was surprised at the results.

The advent of the metrosexual is:
    Pathetic 53%
    Liberating 19%
    Exciting 10%
    Scary 9%
    Confusing 8%
    Total Votes: 11650

2. Johnv

Johnv New Member

Hmmmm... sounds like calling a man a "metrosexual" is a way of saying that a man taking good care of himself is not really manly. Yeah, let's make the only acceptible standard for maleness "burly machizmo".

I have two words for that idea: One is a male cow, and the other is what comes out of a male cow's backside.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm late for my manicure.

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

As long as you skip the nail polish, enjoy!
    Gina

4. samuelhenry

samuelhenry New Member

"therefore take no thought, saying, what shall we eat? or, what shall we drink? or wherewithal shall we be clothed?"
    - jesus

5. Johnv

Johnv New Member

That does not equate to "Eat bad sloppy food, fattening drink, and dress like a slob, and while you're at it, go back to using corn cobs instead of toilet paper". The Bible also says our bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit. We should take care of them as such. Women generally do good jobs taking care of their bodies. Men aren't as careful. When men take care of their bodies, they should not be made to think it's "less manly" or some tripe like that.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

This verse refers to 'worrying' about those things and is not saying we shouldn't take good care of our bodies! Like Johnv has said, our bodies are the Temple of the Holy Spirit and we should treat it as such!

Diane

7. samuelhenry

samuelhenry New Member

i do not disagree with you in the least. but i do not believe that as christians we are intended to spend a great amount of time on our looks. we should look nice and presentable, but not endeavour to create or follow outrageous fads or trends. the job of the christian is to draw others to christ. not to draw attention to themselves.

8. Artimaeus

Artimaeus Active Member

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] (Actually laughed out loud)

I comb my hair, tuck my shirt in, and try to wear things that match but, come on...nail polish, makeup, and "goodly apparel"

James 2:2 For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; 3 And ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing...
    (pun intended on my part)
    BTW, "apparel", "raiment", "clothing" is the same Greek word. "gay" and "goodly" are from the same Greek word that means bright, and "vile" means filthy.

As we should not disrespect the poor man, we should not respect the rich man.

Matt 6:31...Wherewithal shall we be clothed? 32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek: )

Isa 11:10 And in that day there shall be a root of Jesse, which shall stand for an ensign of the people; to it shall the Gentiles seek: and his rest shall be glorious

Which goal do you "seek" to achieve?

We are constantly telling women that they should not dress in such a way as to draw undue attention to themselves, so it is not only fair but quite accurate to say the same thing to men. Notice that the two examples I gave are about men, not women.

9. Pete Richert

Pete Richert New Member

Kids, kids, this is nothing new. These guys have existed since I was a boy. They stood in front of the mirror in high school and moved every hair in place, they sing better, they won't shave their heads with the football team, and they generally have an easier time getting dates. We call them pretty boys. They are generally a bit more sensative but not always so. They tend to be a bit more of a ladies man though they might have a faster turn over then others. They always shave, wear clothes that match, and usually tuck in their shirts. They take more showers and smell better. I have a few friends that can be classified as pretty boys though usually they ANNOY ME TO DEATH!

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

So where do we draw the line? Nail polish is one thing. Makeup, okay, I can see that, too. But are "Godly" men not allowed to get manicures? Are "Godly men" not allowed to have their eyebrows cleaned up? Are "Godly men" not allowed to have a facial? Are "Godly" men not allowed to trim their nose hairs? Who sets the standard? So far, the Bible verses presented are general and ambiguous, only addressing men who attempt to pass themselves off as the opposite sex.

I think we as a society have become so phobic of being labeled "unmanly", that we don't even allow men to go to the bathroom in groups.

If we as a western society require our women to shave their legs and armpits, the least we should require of men is to wax their backs and their unibrows!!! ANd men who choose to do so should be able to freely, without fear of being labeled by masculinity extremists.

11. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

JohnV, I spent the ages of oh, about 7-11 yrs. old in the backwoods of PA. Men just didn't walk into beauty salons. ROFL If they did then they didn't stay in town long. Actually, there wasn't a beauty salon in town, but that's another story...
    To be honest, I don't see the need for even WOMEN to go through all of this. Sure, get your hair cut when it's needed, stay clean, but what really is the need to paint yourself and own clothes that need drycleaned or you have to be afraid of getting dirty if you do any real work? Maybe a few special outfits for Sundays, but most of what women do is just vanity and excess. Clothes for each day of the month, shoes to match them all, creams to make you look younger, nail polish to coordinate with outfits, paint to make your eyelashes look longer, powder to make your cheeks look redder, pencils to make your eyes stand out, hairspray so you can pretend wind has no effect on your hair. ROFL No WONDER men wake up after their wedding day and wonder what they did! It's probably the first time they've ever seen what that woman really looks like!
    Why do men feel the need to be drawn into that at all, even without the argument on how feminine it is to do it?
    Gina

12. trumpet

trumpet New Member

First lets start with Psalms 39:5b, VERILY EVERY MAN IN HIS BEST STATE IS ALTOGETHER VANITY!(caps mine).now lets try verse 6a, Surely every man walkth in a shew. Lets be honest about this, the only reason for this is the appeal to the opposite sex. We want to appear attractive, together,in control, look at me. I thought as (Christians) we were only to draw attention to Christ, how can we do this looking in vogue la te da.

13. JamesJ

JamesJ New Member

What strikes me as odd, and I haven't read it yet here, if this is all about men "bettering their appearance", why does it have to be linked to the word "sexual". Does the prefix "metro"'s proximity to "hetro" (one letter difference) raise any flags here?

Just askin'

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Thread will close no earlier than 3:30 am EST. LOL I fully intent to be [​IMG] at that time!
    Gina