1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Newspaper Prophets

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by evangelist6589, Mar 3, 2013.

1. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was out witnessing and ran into a open air preacher whom obviously has caught onto some end of the world propaganda and he was saying that america will be nuked by april, and the tribulation will start. He sounded like a mini Harold Camping or Hal Lindsey. I tried to reason with him but that was impossible so I departed. Only radical zealot authors and you tubers would support that kind of preaching. He had all kinds of other wild ideas and was obviously not out to do evangelism, but out to preach his political propaganda.

Anyone know the name of the term for people like this? I am a Dispensatonalist and believe much in what David Jeremiah says about Bible prophecy, however this man and people like him take things way too far. The author of the book The Harbinger is another example of a hyper newspaper prophet.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Yes...the name is premillenial dispensationalist, who just read the newest Johnny Mac and David Jeremiahs books on end times:thumbs::thumbs:

3. saturneptune

saturneptune New Member

Getting back to the question you were addressing without twisting the thread into a covenant-dispy debate, I do agree, that people who predict dates and shout on street corners, one does not walk away from, one runs away from.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with your belief in a pre mil, pre trib senario. When I was younger, I read most of the Hal Lindsey books, and for a while pretty much agreed with him. I have never read David Jeremiah. Under different pastors, I have gone from the pre mil, pre trib stance, to reading the totality of the Bible on the subject. A pastor we had a while back challanged all of us to find a specific verse in the Bible that proved the pre mil, pre trib theory, with no other interpretation possible. None of us could do it. That in no way means you are wrong. For me, it means that other sequences are possible. For example, Matthew 24 seems to be post trib.

In Thesalonians, where Paul talks about the mystery and the Lord decending with a shout, no reference is made to what point in time. My point is one could go back and forth on many of the end time verses. Then one adds in the differences in the millenium, and most of all, the differences on how the Lord deals with Israel, the church, and the different ages.

It sounds like you have done quite a bit of study of end times, and since I am still learning from Scripture, IMO, the Lord speaking to you through Scripture has lead you to where you believe. Until you read Scripture, and the Lord reveals something else to you, stick to your belief, and pay no attention to 5th rate posters.

4. Bronconagurski

Bronconagurski New Member

Begging your pardon, but don't paint Jeremiah and MacArthur as nuts like this man with dates and wild predictions. That is totally incorrect.

5. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Bski,
    I like them. I have a few John MacArthur books on my shelf, and have heard Jeremiah on radio. I know JM presents a standard premill view.[I used to look to see what he said on end times}
    I was just needling this poster.
    This poster I think a few months ago was posting about open air preaching and saying his pastor and church did not support him doing it if i remember correctly. He thought this guy was over the top, but it seemed like maybe that is how others saw him???