1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFC/AFC Championship Picks

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Jan 15, 2007.

1. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Bears over the Saints (Saints just wont be the same team in the cold of Soldier Field)

Colts over Pats (Colts D continues to play strong and Peyton is finally able to get to the Superbowl)

2. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    i agree and hope that Dungy and Peyton get their ring

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

<double post>

#3 webdog, Jan 15, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2007
  4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Saints over the Bears --- the Grossman factor:BangHead: , and the emotional NO "feel good" story...not to mention Bush, McCallister and Brees.:thumbsup:

Indy over NE --- NE came back to beat a Shottenheimer "play not to lose" team. That has happened every year he has coached, and is not that big of a deal.:BangHead: Any other coach, and the Chargers win. The colts D looks impressive, and the offense is still excellent.:thumbsup:

5. AF Guy N Paradise

AF Guy N Paradise Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Same as my picks but it wouldn't bother me if the Saints won. The Patriots are definitely my 4th favorite out of these.

6. quidam65

quidam65 Member

On the AFC side I'm picking the Pats. When you've gone 12-1 in your playoff career as has Tom Brady, until Indy shows that it can win the big one I'm not picking them.

On the NFC side I want the Saints to win but outside the Superdome they may have problems.

7. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Agreeing with Webdog

I'm agreeing with Webdog. First time ever.

8. PastorSBC1303

The Saints have not played a road game this year in cold weather. I think they are really going to struggle in the cold at Soldier Field.

9. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Please, please any team win other than New England. Dynasties are boring.

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I like Chicago over New Orleans. I know, what a surprise. :smilewinkgrin:

I think where the cold weather is a factor is turnovers. I think it will be more difficult, at first, for the Saints to hold onto the cold, hard ball. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bears force a couple of early fumbles and turn those into points, then hold on against a very good Saints offense. Based on how poorly the Bears did in stopping Alexander, one would think that McAllister could have a big day. I don't think he will. I think the Bears will figure out how the Hawks schemed them to get Alexander free to run up the middle, and that won't happen again.

I like Indianapolis over New England.

Even with a defense that was average, at best, at the time, the Colts beat the Patriots at Foxboro. Now, they're at Indy, and the Colts D is playing much better. It's hard to pick against Belichick and Brady, because they always seem to find a way, but I think that Peyton will finally beat his nemesis in a playoff game.

11. A&I

A&I New Member

Nfl

I was surprised that the Ravens and the Chargers lost . I thought they would be playing for the AFC Championship . I am going with the home teams to win this week .If New England goes to and wins the Super Bowl. Brady will go down as maybe the greatest QB of all time I bet .

12. PastorSBC1303

I don't know if you could consider him "the" greatest of all time. But I do think he would vault himself into serious consideration.

In my mind the greatest QB of all time remains Joe Montana.

13. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Winning Super Bowls or other big games is the most overrated factor in determing who the greatest is at any position at any sport IMHO...

It takes much more than just one player; it takes coaching, play calling, blocking, etc, etc, etc, and even a little luck.

14. PastorSBC1303

No doubt that it should not be the only factor involved. But it is hard to argue with the fact that the majority of great QB's have been ones to lead their teams to championships. That is just part of the position of QB. Yet there are always excepions. Very few people would argue with putting Dan Marino in the discussion, yet he never won a Superbowl.

Who do you consider to be the greatest QB of all time?

15. AF Guy N Paradise

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you know my answer, but I do think Joe Montana is one if not the most overrated one of all time. He had more talent surrounded by him than most. I debate this all the time with other sport nuts and most disagree with me, but some agree and even some sport writers and other experts agree. Its all pretty subjective...

16. PastorSBC1303

John Elway?

That is just simply silly. While he may not be "the" greatest of all time, he has to be in the top group. What support do you have for him being overrated?

He did have a lot of talent no doubt. However, a lot of QB's have talent around them and cannot accomplish anything.

17. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Playing the biggest games in a season is an overrated factor in determining greatness? If it's playoffs, then are you saying that regular season success is more important? I think regular season success is important, but I find it hard to believe that beating the best team in the AFC 5 times would be deemed as less important a factor than beating some 3 or 4 win team in the regular season. Maybe a ratio of 60-40 or 70/30 split between playoff and regular season success is a good criteria for determing greatness? Or, maybe it's so subjective that there is no clear-cut answer. :wavey:

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Greatest QB's of all-time. I would probably put Montana no. 1, too. But I think all of these are in the discussion:

Montana
    Elway
    Marino
    Unitas
    Favre
    Bart Starr - only in first tier due to many championships
    Otto Graham - pioneer and dominate for his time

2nd tier greats:

Roger Staubach - longer career would have put him in 1st tier above
    Steve Young - almost a 1st tier, IMO - short career hurts a little - I could be persuaded to put him in 1st tier.
    Jim Kelly - a Super Bowl ring or two and he might be in the 1st tier.
    Warren Moon - same thing as Kelly.
    Dan Fouts - same as Moon and Kelly.
    Fran Tarkenton - same as Moon and Kelly and Fouts.
    Terry Bradshaw - only makes the 2nd tier because of 4 rings and great ability to throw the deep ball. Otherwise, he was pretty average.
    Troy Aikman - only in this group because of 3 rings. Otherwise, he is 3rd tier.
    Sonny Jurgensen - pioneer
    Sammy Baugh - pioneer
    Tom Brady - a couple of more good seasons and he's 1st tier.
    Peyton Manning - same thing as Brady, with or without a ring.

O.k., that's 19 QB's in all - let me know who I forgot to round it out to 20.

#18 Andy T., Jan 17, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2007
  19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

O.k., I have a nominee for no. 20 - Bob Griese. 8-time pro-bowler and two rings. I think he's as good as any to round out that 2nd tier group.

20. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I have a better choice for rounding out a top 20 list than Bob Griese.

Sid Luckman.

Luckman was the QB for the Bears when they won 4 championships in the 40s. Luckman became a Hall of Fame QB running Papa Bear Halas' offense featuring the T-formation.