1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFL draft geeks

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by webdog, Apr 26, 2008.

1. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

2. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I couldn't be happier with both of the Cowboys' first round picks - Felix Jones at running back from Arkansas and Mike Jenkins at cornerback from South Florida. :thumbs:

3. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Hey web, what did you think about the Browns first day at the draft...oh wait, nevermind :)

I think the Chiefs had the best first day getting 2 of the best linemen in the draft and then some solid help at CB.

The Bears did what I expected by getting an OT and then a RB. They definitely needed help on the offense.

4. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Brady Quinn, Corey Williams and Shaun Rogers are looking pretty good, especailly Brady Quinn at #22, and a "franchise label" player in the second round! :D

5. PastorSBC1303

Thats true, but doesn't it stink to go thru the first day of the draft and not have any picks for your team?

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

For me, definately...but my wife's pretty happy :)

7. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

The donkies got a good lineman. That makes me happy... :thumbs:

8. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

The Lions actually stock up on O-linemen. Maybe they finally got the memo that it does not matter how good your receivers are if your QB can never throw to them because he is always getting hit.

9. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

PastorSBC, you have any idea why the Bears didn't draft a QB? Or, have they finally decided that Orton should have a real chance at being the starting QB?

10. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I was following the draft via the BooYah network's DraftCast and somebody said, "The way the Lions draft makes me glad to be a Bears fan." :laugh:

11. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Ken

here is my question - why take Jones - a backup at Ark (who is probably a decent to good RB - but a backup) over Mendenhall a potential franchise RB. Pitt JUMPED on Mendenhall. Some draft "experts" had Mendenhall rated as highly as McFadden.

I was scratching my head over that one - Jerry has some splainin to do!

12. PastorSBC1303

Jimmy, I wondered the exact same thing. A friend of mine who is a big time Cowboy fan said it is because they were not looking for a feature back, but a compliment back to go with Barber. I still do not see it, if you got a chance to draft Mendenhall, you take it.

You also gotta wonder how much of it had to do with Jerry's love for the Razorbacks.

13. KenH

KenH Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mendenhall is basically Marion Barber with a little more speed. The Cowboys were looking for someone with home run ability - which Julius Jones never supplied as intended. Felix Jones was definitely a home run hitter with the Hogs just as DMac was. On another college team Felix might have been a Heisman Trophy contender himself. From what I have heard Felix was very, very, very impressive in working out for the NFL teams.

Also, if Marcus Monk doesn't get drafted perhaps the Cowboys will sign him as a free agent and give him a chance in training camp. From what I heard he was quite impressive in his workouts so I am surprised that he hasn't been drafted as of this time.

#13 KenH, Apr 27, 2008
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2008
  14. Jimmy C

Jimmy C New Member

Ken

You may be correct, I hope so - Mendenhall and Jones had the same time in the 40 - so they are both fast. Mendenhall is bigger and may like to run over as well as around. The Dallas Morning news was slamming the pick of Jones over Mendenall and the local talk shows are puzzled as well - though the opinion is mixed for whatever thats worth.

I think Mendenhall has a chance to be a franchise RB. I would have liked to have had him and use Barber for the 10-15 runs a game he seemed to excell at. Barber faltered late in the season and in thier playoff loss.

15. PastorSBC1303

The Bears drafted him in the 7th round. Also they drafted the Hogs DT Harrison in the middle rounds.