1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFL Playoffs 2010 Are Here!

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by JPPT1974, Jan 5, 2011.

1. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Right. Because they were a lucky 11-5 and they totally lucked into playing the NFC Championship Game. :rolleyes:

He bailed on them? How does an athlete bail on his team when he's injured? Here's the link for you if you can be bothered to look at it. This is simply the dumbest thing you've ever said in the sports forum.

Andy, do me a favor. Learn what the facts are before you make yourself look like a fool. I have little patience with somebody who can't be bothered to learn what the facts are or listen to the team in the first place. The Bears aren't stupid. They knew they weren't beating the Packers unless Cutler played, so they certainly weren't going to hold him out unless he was injured.

The Bears already have a starting QB. To suggest that Hanie should be the starting QB is ridiculous.

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I like Hanie... He makes Green Bay's corner backs (not to mention our nose tacle) look great while they run back interceptions. I predict they'll keep him on the roster. :laugh:

Imagine a 6-seed team dominating the NFC this year in three games where they had to give up home field advantage in every game against the #1-2-3 seed teams.

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Anybody catch the piece done prior to the game with an actor doing a speech like Lombardi.... "you dont dream gentlemen you perform" I loved that & Im looking for it on line....anyone see it?

4. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Then hundreds of other players and professional analysts are fools, too. And thousands (maybe millions) of Bears fans, too. Everyone is questioning Cutler. Are they all fools, too? Cutler has done himself no favors over the years with his bratty attidute. He just confirmed in the minds of millions what people thought of him all along - a talented player but awful leader.

5. TomVols

TomVols New Member

To be fair, Cutler has indeed had a knock on his leadership ability haunting him all the way back to his days at Vandy. His aloof nature is off-putting. However, he has talent. Who'd you rather have between Cutler and Sanchez in terms of talent? Don't answer quickly. I don't think Cutler is QB you can ride to the Lombardi Trophy, but then again, Lovie and the Bears D got Rexy into the Super Bowl so why couldn't they take Cutler? And Cutler bailed? That's what we call MCL 2L sprains nowadays?

That all said, Caleb Hanie played his heart out. One Bear emailed me today and said that Hanie lost the Bears the game. I completely disagree. There's no game to lose if Hanie doesn't play lights out because prior to that, the Bears' offense was pedestrian at best.

The Bears had a very good season. Yes, they didn't have the hardest row to hoe in the league, but you play the teams in front of you and you still have to beat them. The Lions didn't :) Neither did my Bengals after garnering a tougher schedule after last year's domination of the AFC North.

BTW, all GB fans: you're in here saying Hanie made your guys look good. So what you're saying is, unless a QB is throwing it to your guys, your defense can't make plays? :laugh: We know that's true of Woodson, but still.... :laugh:

6. mets65

mets65 New Member

Hanie only threw to one GB corner. Raji made a spetacular guess one the play where he intercepted the ball. He was probably out of position. Not like you see too many nose-tackles drop back into coverage.

7. JPPT1974

JPPT1974 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Congrats to the Steelers-Packers on their road to SBXLV two weeks from yesterday!:smilewinkgrin:

8. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Yes, they are. Everybody who questioned Jay Cutler because the Bears medical staff held him out of the game is a fool.

Did you read the article? Do you have any answer to my questions? You're convinced that you're right and no amount of facts will deter you. It's impossible to have an intelligent conversation with somebody who lets their opinion get in the way of facts.

His attitude has nothing to do with the fact that the Bears medical staff held him out of the game because he was injured.

According to the media idiots and meathead fans, we do.

9. sag38

sag38 Active Member

Every NFL team I pulled for lost this year in the play offs. Oh well, the Super Bowl should prove to be an old fashioned knock down drag out. It will be entertaining but I could care less who wins. I don't like either team.

10. mets65

mets65 New Member

I got to pull for Green Bay since the steelers have two in the past 6 years.

11. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Sprained MCL - that's the official report from the Bears. I guess we have to trust them, but it wouldn't be the first time a team lied about an injury.

Besides, when I said "bailed" - who said anything about his injury? If we grant that the injury was legitimate, he still bailed on the team leadership-wise with his pouty attitude on the sidelines. Of course, that's not really bailing, since you have to be a leader to begin with - this guy has never been a leader.

12. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Follow-up: Why do you think so many many people were quick to judge Cutler poorly (even if unfair)? Why so many? Even current players? You have to admit that very few people respect the guy. No other player would've been doubted like this. Only Cutler because he has given no evidence of being a stand-up guy. The reaction is telling of how little most of his peers respect him.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

His teammates seem to think of him as a leader. Since those guys are with him everyday, I think I'll take their side rather than yours.

How so? Please provide specific examples of how Jay Cutler hasn't been a stand-up guy. I can tell you how he was a stand-up guy. He didn't run from the media after the game. He stood up and answered all their questions. That's part of being a stand-up guy. Another part of being a stand-up guy is not criticizing your teammates after you took a beating this season. He was sacked more than anybody else this year and he never complained about it. Last year, his wide receivers routinely ran bad routes and passes were intercepted multiple times because of it. Not once did Cutler criticize his receivers. That's being a stand-up guy.

Another part of being a stand-up guy is admitting when you were wrong.

Be careful who pick for your allies. Maurice Jones-Drew said he played the entire season with a bad knee, conveniently neglecting to mention that he missed the last 2 games of the season. Not only that, MJD has been backpedaling from his initial comments ever since. Deion Sanders said he was soft, conveniently forgetting that Neon Deon was widely regarded as one of the softest players in the league. These are the guys that you want to stand with against Cutler? I'll stand with Cutler's teammates like Urlacher and Kreutz, respected guys who stuck up for Cutler.

What's happened here is that your hatred for the Bears and Jay Cutler meant that you couldn't be bothered to find out the truth. You listened to ESPN windbags and meathead fans instead of deciding for yourself what the truth is. Now that the truth has come out, you imply that the Bears were lying, which is ridiculous, and can't be bothered to be a "stand-up guy" and admit that were you wrong.

By the way, Andy, why would the Bears lie about an injury?

If they are lying, it would mean that Cutler wasn't injured and they held him out for being ineffective. Did you watch Todd Collins play? The Bears knew they weren't beating the Packers unless Cutler played. You're not going to say that the Bears didn't try to win the NFC Championship Game, are you?

Did you apply any critical thinking skills to this, or did you just sense an opportunity to pile on and side with all the meathead fans and ESPN blowhards? One thing that this situation did is helped me to identify who the people are who should be listened to and those who shouldn't. You belong in the latter group.

14. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

Wow, you take this stuff seriously, don't you? I love how you take a mundane sports topic and turn it into an opportunity for personal attacks. You need to relax and have a little fun.

Of course the Bears players are not going to openly criticize him - keep it in house and all that. I wouldn't expect it any other way - guys like Urlacher are not going do anything that could cause a media-circus schism on the team. So that tells me nothing about the situation.

I'm not saying the Bears lied, but I wouldn't rule out the possibility. Why would they lie? I think that's obvious. And if they did lie, it doesn't mean they weren't trying to win the game. Could be myriad reasons why they kept him out of the game, one of which is that they knew Cutler had mentally bailed. And that is not a stretch at all.

And I don't hate the Bears or Cutler. I happen to think the latter is wasting his talent with his poor attitude - he has his whole career.

#74 Andy T., Jan 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2011
  15. mets65

mets65 New Member

Andy I'm a panthers fan, fire away I promise I won't take it personal.

16. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I have it worse - Lions fan. At least you've made it to the Super Bowl!

17. mets65

mets65 New Member

Yeah but man I'd love to have megatron on the panthers. Although it'd be pointless with no one to throw to him. And Suh, he's a beast. Good future in Detroit.

18. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

I see. You have no answers for my questions, so it's time to switch tactics and play the "you're too serious" card. And you want to accuse Cutler of not being a stand-up guy.

Play the "you're too serious" card if you like, but dumb comments deserve to be called out. Maligning somebody's character because you don't have all the facts deserves to be called out.

The Bears are playing Cutler a lot of money and they're going to put him on the field when he's physically capable of playing or they're going to get rid of him. It's ludicrous to suggest the Bears kept him out with the idea that Todd Collins was going to win them the game.

Right. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Denial, more than a river in Egypt.

19. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

I did answer your questions - you just don't agree with the answers. Have fun with your boy Cutler. He'll regress back to 2009 - 26 ints and 7-9.

20. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

cc, you keep saying I've maligned Cutler's character. I have not. I've said he has a poor demeanor for an NFL QB. I've said he is an underachiever based on his raw talent. I've said he's not a stand-up guy - by which I mean he's not a leader. Not everyone's leadership material - it's not a slam on his character. He might be a fine fellow in his personal life, I don't know. None of my criticisms are slamming his character; maybe his football playing character - but we do that all the time as fans - we judge, we like, we dislike all different kinds of players. Bottom line, you've turned this mundane sports topic into an emotional confrontation between the two of us - you need to calm down. Maybe take another breather, I don't know.