1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NFL Season

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by PastorSBC1303, Sep 11, 2006.

1. Blammo

Blammo New Member

No, I don't think I will own up to it. However, I think I just did. Also, I will have to admit that they are my "second favorite team", my favorite team being the Cowboys.

There... got it off my chest, I am a fan of two of the most hated teams in the NFL. It's not my fault you know? My Mother bought me a Dallas Cowboy jacket when I was in kindergarden, and my best friend was a Raiders fan. So, as a habit, the only time I want the Raiders to lose is when they play the Cowboys.

It has been a very sad start of the regular season for me. But, as you know, I am used to it.

2. NateT

NateT Member

I used to be a cowboys fan. When I was a kid, I liked football and I liked cowboys so I thought what better team than the Dallas Cowboys. One time the Chiefs had a charity basketball game and my parents took me there so I could meet some football players. I got harassed because I was wearing a cowboy star on my jacket.

It was further cemented by one time I was in Dallas visiting my aunt and uncle. The waitress heard us talking about football and she said "Herschel Walker is right over here, would you like to meet him?" So Herschel let about 4 or 5 of us interrupt his dinner to say "Hi." I was starting little league football that year and he told me to not let the coaches make me a lineman because all they did was roll around in the mud.

But you know, as the Bible says, when I became a man I put away childish things :)

3. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

You're right, the slide means he is putting himself down even if the QB slides and no one else is around. Even if you are pushed into the QB, you should have the appearence of trying not to hit him. I didn't notice any attempt to avoid that hit.

4. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Just wanted to say that there are some of us on this board who don't engage in sports bigamy. :smilewinkgrin:

5. Blammo

Blammo New Member

In my case...

It's really not bigamy at all. I would love to see the Cowboys beat the Raiders in the Super Bowl every year. :smilewinkgrin:

In an odd twist, a few years ago, I did enjoy seeing Gruden's Buccaneers beat Gruden's Raiders. :laugh: :tongue3: (It was just a fling)

6. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

liking the Cowboys and the Raiders....goodness. That is like choosing between Satan and his demons. :)

7. Blammo

Blammo New Member

I thought you might feel that way. That's why I failed mentioned I have been a fan of Brett Favre too.

:tonofbricks:

I don't care for the Lions or the Broncos!!!

#27 Blammo, Sep 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2006
  8. LeBuick

LeBuick New Member

Between us, as long as somebody wins and somebody looses I'd probably watch it. Nothing like the "spirit" of competition.

9. PastorSBC1303

But are you a fan of the Packers? I actually have a lot of respect for Brett Favre and I love the way he has played the game. However, I just wish he played for a different team. :)

Correction friend, that is the Liedowns and the Donkeys :) And I am glad you have some good NFL qualities in ya :)

10. Blammo

Blammo New Member

Packers fan? No, just Brett, though I think it may be time for him to get out. (a few years ago)

Liedowns and Donkeys... Barry Sanders and John Elway? I miss those guys. :smilewinkgrin: Sorry, can't help it. I need to quit living in the past!!!

11. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Speaking objectively, yes, Favre should have retired a couple of years ago.

Speaking as a Bears fan, no, I like Favre right where he is, throwing passes to Bears defenders. The longer Favre stays, the more the Bears can beat up on the Packers. :thumbsup:

12. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Yes, with a wet field and momentum, anything is possible. Remember, it was not the contact from the hit that caused the injury; Green's head hit the ground and that was what was the source of the concussion according to AP. The NFL has said it was a clean hit. Again, not defending Geathers. I'm surprised the NFL, in its propensity to overreact to almost everything, didn't penalize Geathers during the game with the yellow hankie or now with a fine.

13. PastorSBC1303

Tom, I wonder what your thoughts on this would be if it was Carson Palmer who was the one hit instead of Green?

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Was it raining at Arrowhead Stadium? None of the pictures I've seen show that it was raining there.

The contact from the hit caused the injury because the contact from the hit drove his head into the ground.

Bottom line is that Geathers could have pulled up, veered off, whatever. He made no move whatsoever to avoid hitting Green. He had a free shot at the QB and he took it.

15. PastorSBC1303

That is my thought as well.

It had been raining off and on that day at Arrowhead. However, I am not sure that it was raining at the time of the hit.

16. TomVols

TomVols New Member

The QB is a player on the field. He can be hit. If a player was partially pushed and was on the move at the same time as the slide, then it's a legal hit. I'd probably want a flag and a fine, and I've said repeatedly that I cannot believe the NFL didn't give either simply because of precedent. Short answer: I'd feel the same way if it was my man Peyton or Carson or any NFL QB.
    Well, we could use your argument tack and say that if Green had run out of bounds and hadn't slid, his head wouldn'tve been near enough for the ground to be hit by his head. We're chasing our tail on that argument. And the replays, along with the NFL and the refs, disagree with your take. Geathers can't pull up from being pushed. If there had been one scintilla of a "cheap shot" looming, the NFL would've crashed down. No one criticizes the Romanowski-like hits more than me. This didn't look like it, although I could see why someone would think it might be cheap. I've watched the replay a zillion times. It was a legal hit, but like I said, I can't believe it didn't draw a flag or a fine. The fact that it got neither says something when you're talking about how hair-triggered the NFL is about protecting its QBs.
    Whether it was raining at the time of the hit is not germane. The fact that the field was wet from the intermittent rain does come into play.

17. NateT

NateT Member

Let me preface this by saying I'm a Chiefs fan.

Personally, I think that a lot of the rule protecting the QB are ridiculous. Because, as Tom said, he's out there playing football. I think if a QB is heading towards the out-of-bounds marker and gets hit in the field of play that should be legal. But often that's called a penalty.

That being said, I think that a flag should have been thrown simply for consistency sake. The article out of the office states the fact that Kennison blocked him in the back, and that Trent Green slid late were mitigating factors. If he was really blocked in the back (NFL's words, not mine) then there should have been a flag for that, but there wasn't (seem's like a nice cover after the fact.)

The other thing that was confusing to me, is that they ruled it a clean hit and then sent out a notice to the teams about the rule. It seems like if that situation was so rare (a player getting blocked into a sliding QB) that you wouldn't need to send round a reminder.

It's frustrating, but not much can be said now. At least Green is out of the hospital.

18. Andy T.

Andy T. Active Member

My '06 Predictions

Here were my '06 predictions. Take them for a grain of salt, because I'm usually wrong:

AFC East NFC East
    N.E., 10-6 (4) Dal., 10-6 (3)
    Mia., 10-6 Wash., 9-7 (6)
    Buff., 7-9 N.Y., 9-7
    N.Y., 4-12 Phil., 6-10

AFC North NFC North
    Pitt., 12-4 (2) Chi., 10-6 (4)
    Balt., 9-7 Minn., 7-9
    Cinc., 8-8 Det., 6-10
    Cleve., 5-11 G.B., 4-12

AFC South NFC South
    Indy, 12-4 (1) Car., 11-5 (1)
    Jax, 10-6 (5) T.B., 10-6 (5)
    Hou., 6-10 Atl., 8-8
    Tenn., 5-11 N.O., 6-10

AFC West NFC West
    S.D., 10-6 (3) Sea., 11-5 (2)
    Den., 10-6 (6) Stl., 7-9
    K.C., 9-7 Az., 7-9
    Oak., 4-12 S.F., 4-12

AFC Playoffs NFC Playoffs
    Den. @ S.D. (S.D.) Wash. @ Dal. (Dal.)

Jax @ N.E. (Jax) T.B. @ Chi. (T.B.)

Jax @ Indy (Indy) T.B. @ Car. (Car.)
    S.D. @ Pitt (Pitt) Dal. @ Sea. (Dal.)

Pitt @ Indy (Indy) Dal. @ Car. (Car.)

Indy vs. Car. (Indy)

19. TomVols

TomVols New Member

Nate T is right. I think the reason the "block in the back" wasn't flagged was either (a) it was a side block and questionable or (b) the refs got the call wrong and the NFL has learned that it cannot say "Our refs got it wrong" and get any positive traction - it only encourages the players, coaches and owners to criticize the refs.

The NFL ruling it a clean hit then sending out a notice is the NFL's way of being politically correct. They can't penalize Geathers, but they can act like they're doing "something."

20. NateT

NateT Member

You know what's funny? I could see each of these teams making the playoffs. But the funny thing is that all these teams either made it last year or were close. But in the recent years, there have been 2 or 3 teams each year that come out of nowhere to win it. I don't know who those 2 or 3 teams would be this year. Perhaps NO, NYJ and Det. I have absolutely no basis for those 3 teams. Just three teams I think won't absolutely stink this year.

I always like to see people predict superbowl winners before the season or first few weeks. Then at the end, hardly any of the predicitions come true, but we do it again next year :)