1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nice Pharisee's?

Discussion in 'Free-For-All Archives' started by Emily, Mar 25, 2004.

1. Emily

Emily New Member

I wonder if any of the Pharisee's were well meaning.

Last night, I was at an IFB church while they had their revival, and the preacher there was a sword of the Lord preacher, and this kind of preaching is just not what I can picture happening in the bible.. It was full of animation and voice changes and jokes and begging for Amen's, and I was sitting in my pew thinking.."Is he for real"

It seemed that all he did the whole time was knock other Christians, calling them "new cart christians" and taking low low shots.

At one point, during a rant about how evil the Catholic church is, he said something to the effect of

"How can that be a man of God up there, when he is dressed like a woman?"

AMEN was shouted in the church, but I kept thinking..."wow.. I hardly think that Jesus wore a three peice suit complete with bowtie when he preached.. what they wore back then looked more like a dress"

so, anyways, I was pretty disgusted, because it seemed to be to me a sermon dedicated to hating christians who were not KJV, Independent, Fundamental, hymnnal only, look right, dress right, christians.. he might have well as just said that they werent even saved..

but, then near the end, his sermon took a more serious tone, and it was very heart wrenching and and rang true and it was about having a burden for souls, and if we truly believe on God's word, then we would have a burden for souls, and the only way we would be non-chalant about the whole thing is if something was wrong with us.. It was very convicting, and I almost forgot the comedy act that was on display moments before..

I couldnt help but compare him to a pharisee in the beginning, but near the end, I saw that he was a wellmeaning individual, who was preaching from a wellmeaning heart.

I wonder if there were any well-meaning Pharisees

2. music4Him

music4Him New Member

Emily
    You telling us the preacher cut down all denomninations (which was part of his show) to get all the people that were shouting Amen to realize what they needed to have a burden for souls? I don't know why this sounds messed up? To insult others of different beliefs and let some of the church members agree....then to turn around and makeing them church members public examples?

1 Timothy 4:12
    Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity.

Nusic4Him

3. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

Emily,

I'm sure there are some well meaning pharisees' on this board, preaching away and noe reilizing that they are wrong on some points.

Perhaps we should pray for them.

Tam,

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Emily

Emily New Member

music4him

Ther sermon was about all the crowns that Jesus would be wearing in Revelation 19, and how we have to win souls.

He side tracked a lot though about "worldly churches" who draw people in but dont get anybody saved..

this is where all the mocking came in.

5. Living4Him

Living4Him New Member

Emily,

It sounds to me as if you were visiting the IFB Church that I grew up in.
    Some how I could never see Jesus making fun others just to make the point that we need to make disciples of all nations.

Is it any wonder that so many people are pious and full of selfrighteousness?

What kind of message does this send to the young kids in attendance? It's alright to make fun of others who do not look like you, act like you, or have as much as you do because we can make fun of people who do not believe like we do.

6. Emily

Emily New Member

no kidding

it is one thimg to preach against sin, and another to act like that.

7. donnA

donnA Active Member

Sounds like he has a problem understanding scripture. He is not a good example of a christian, sounds more like preaching hate of everyone except those he approves of.

8. music4Him

music4Him New Member

I have always wondered about preachers that get side tracked and attack other denoms. Very sad ain't it? [​IMG]

I heard you catch more flies with honey (truth of the Word) than with vinegar (insulting others). :D

Music4Him

9. tamborine lady

tamborine lady Active Member

[​IMG]

As for the Catholic priest dressing like a woman, Jesus wore things that look like dresses to us, as did all the men in those days.

It's not so much how you look on the outside as it is how you are on the inside.

We can look just fine and be "whited seplecures full of dead mens bones".

Jesus told the pharisees' that they made the outside of the cup clean but the inside was still dirty!

If I was in a church like the one you describe, I would be outta there like a shot and never come back.

Working for Him,

Tam

10. Emily

Emily New Member

Trust me.. In the beginning, I was rolling my eyes "outloud" so to speak. Im sure he had to have seen me do it.. I am convicted about that though.. that was very disrespectful of me.

About the Catholics in robes, I was thinking to myself.."he just said that Jesus dressed like a woman!!!!"

I would never go back to that church if Dr. John Hamblin is preaching there.. He is a sword of the Lord preacher, and Im sad to say, that I was sorely disgusted. Normally, I love that church, despite the fact that its KJVO, and Im not.

11. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

Why do so many have a problem with a Christian who has standards, convictions and seeks to be obedient to what Jesus commanded?

Now I will agree that this preacher seemingly got out of hand with some of what was said and done. Had I been there I am sure I would have questioned him.

As for the "begging for amen's" things. The only Churches I have been in where that doesn't happen with regularity are my won, Catholic, Methodist, Presbyterian, Lutheran, Episcipol and such like, along with vists to a few cult groups. I think though, that in some cases we don't realize how much ouor own preacher does it, but we notice it in others.

Anyways, just my two cents. I'm not looking to debate anyone here over what I said, but when I see dope John Paul wearing his dress, all I can say is; "I wish he would dress like a man."

Jim

12. Jim Ward

Jim Ward New Member

Latly, thanks for the link Emily.

Jim

13. Emily

Emily New Member

Jim

Normally I love this particular church because of their high biblical standards. I love that they preach hard against sin and I love that they are by most mens terms "legalistic" on some things.. It occurs to me that some men arent "legalistic" enough and they hold hands with the world too much.

Having said that though

WHy would such a great God-loving, word of God loving church promote, and endure such evil?

I really cannot see Jesus Christ kicking below the belt to make a point. he spoke the truth firmly, but he didnt get on the level of the devil, which is what I truly believe this Preacher did.

He also offered to give his autograph on your bibles or other sword of the Lord materials that you could buy.. What is that?

The night before I was there, he told the congregations that

"What the pope needs, is to get kicked in the back of the knees and handed a gospel tract"

When he was begging for amens, he wasnt speaking Gospel truth, he was actually talking about food.. he was trying to be humourous, but I was disgusted.. Unfortunately, I was one of the only ones who didnt see him humor. I saw him as a man devoid of love and compassion and full of hate. He was preaching hate. He was questioning other Christians salvations and if he says that Catholic Priests are dressing like a girl, then by default, he is saying that Jesus dresses likes a girl. He sure didnt wear a 3-peice suit..
    Robes are not feminine..
    Old testament priests also wore robes..

On days when the priests arent in the church, they are wearing black slacks, black button up shirts, and white collars.. that isnt feminine either.

It was purely wrong, though I am sure that he was well meaning..

My question, is why do IFB churches tolerate this kind of sin? Because, that IS what it is.. sin..

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

I believe what you stated was about a preacher full of pride. He didn't show Jesus but only himself. God is opposed to the proud and exalts the humble. I am convinced that God uses humility more than any other single character quality.

When we are humble Jesus is our Lord and everybody is somebody because they are God's creation. When we are humble we understand who God is and who we are. Preaching is not to be a show of oratory skill or manipulation but a demonstation of God's power. Preaching is a time when the people are not to see us, but Jesus glorified. Preaching is a privilege not a right.

The people must see less of me and more of Jesus. He must increase and I must decrease.