1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NIV Across America

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Nicholas25, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Nicholas25

Nicholas25 New Member

2. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I think it's a neat idea except I would not want to contribute. I have terrible handwriting!

Nicholas, what is it that you don't understand in the article? They are going to have Americans in 90 cities write out a verse of the Bible in their own handwriting. Then they will compile this into a Bible. Might make for difficult reading - all those different handwriting styles! :eek:

3. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Sounds like a stupid stunt to sell something.

4. donnA

donnA Active Member

I wonder what purpose this is supose to serve. Unless RB is correct.

5. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

One word: gimmick.

6. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

Obviously, this is something of a publicity 'stunt'.

However, that said, it would be -

(A.) unique, in that something like this has never been done before - and

(B.) if by observing this, some individuals might read the Bible who would not do so otherwise, I would offer that it would have to be a 'good' thing, as opposed to a 'bad' thing.

Say what one will, two English versions of Scripture 'dominate' the 'American Bible scene' these days, among believers, namely the KJV of the 1869 Edition of Dr. Benjamin Blaney and the NIV, edited by ???. There are and have been literally hundreds of different English editions one could pick from, yet in only 30 years or so, the NIV has risen to the top, alongside the KJV, which also acceded to the top three Centuries ago, although the KJV had far fewer version to compete with, admittedly, and had much of its competing versions, contained in its own text. :thumbs:

I simply say there has to be a reason for this, even though it may not be apparent just from 'looking'.

And 'give' me a "read and worn" Bible of any edition or any 'legitimate' translation, any day, for any individual, :thumbs:

as opposed to 'any "better version"' that is just lying on a table as a dust collector. :tear:

Ed

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I agree, but I predict this "version" will be one of those that collects dust. It's a novelty and for the person who is serious about God I don't think it will hold up. Unfortunately, it appears nothing more to me than another money making scheme. I am saddened that this is so prevalent in the bible publishing industry.

I love other versions, but this one is just ridiculous.

8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

It might be a money making scheme but the bible publishing industry and the christian book industry are businesses. We need to keep that in mind. In fact, I think Zondervan is now owned by a secular publishing company.

For years, I've seen Christian bookstores sell really bad books - sometimes heretical ones. But it didn't matter what you said, they still sold these because they are a business.