1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NIV strong points and weaknesses?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by convicted1, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Martin Marprelate

Martin Marprelate Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    With regard to us being 'slaves of Christ,' I think it's helpful to crunch verses like Exod 21:5-6; Psalm 40:6-8 and Phil 2:5-8 together. Christians are willing slaves or bondservants of Christ, for we say, 'His yoke is easy and His burden is light.'

Steve

2. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think the KJV goes light on homosexuality. Just compare 1 Cor. 6:9:

9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, [KJV]

9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men, [NIV]

KJV: "abusers of themselves with mankind" Talk about obfuscation. What does that mean?

NIV: "men who have sex with men" Clear, concise, no room for misinterpretation.

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

based upon the fact that we DO indeed have in any greek text chosen to use as a translation basis "enough" of the originals to have it able to be said that they would indeed be the word of God to us today!

And ANY version based upon any of those texts would indded be the word of God to us in english today...

And regardless of the Greek text used, NO major doctrinal differences!

4. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

well...

Those KJVO folks who claim that both Nasb/Niv were satanic versions...

What about that!

5. thomas15

thomas15 Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJVO theory states that the KJV is the only accurate translation of the Holy Bible in the English language. Some of these individuals even suggest that the KJV is the only accurate translation in any language and even more accurate than any greek manuscript or collection of manuscripts. Those induviduals believe that the Anglican translators of the KJV were guided by the Holy Spirit to correct and with the aid of many translation revisors thru the years they have given English speaking persons the pure Word of God, correcting the mistakes in the greek used to make their translation!

I, like you make no claims to membership in club scholarship, however I decided to return to college part time to work towards another degree. Tonight is actually my first class! Algebra and Biology are my life for the moment but before I could register, the college made me take a placement test.

I studied like a banchie to prepare for the algebra aspect but totally neglected the reading/writing. Keeping in mind that I graduated in 1981 with a B.S. in education, I scored 99 in both reading and writing. So, if nothing else I can make the claim that I have basic reading comprehension skills in English. And yet I find reading the KJV is be quite labor intensive and when my study takes me to the KJV, I find that I get less insights from it as compared to the NIV, NKJV or the NASB.

I know that I leave myself open to attacks that I'm an elitist or snob or discounter of the minisrty of the HS but literally within walking distance from my house is a Baptist KJVO church. And yet I choose to drive 50 miles round trip to a different assembly because I find a lack of depth in the doctrinal teaching at the local assembly, KJVO not withstanding.

There are places in the KJV that could be considered dynamic equivatents when compared to the MS used by the 17th century translators. Sometimes we just have to place a little bit of faith in the translators work. That is why comparing translations one next to the other is a good practice for those mining the scriptures for truth. Those who advocate the virtues of the KJV over all other translations should, but are not, advocators of a movement to restore 17th century reading comprehension skills to those who, in their opinions, are interested in serious Bible study using the KJV.

on edit: I just ordered (like I need another Bible!) a 1984 NIV Cambridge Pitt Minion from CBD taking advantage of one of those "WOW" price offers. I like the NIV but have them all.

#45 thomas15, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2012