1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NKJ or ESV ?

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Tony kelly, Mar 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tony kelly

Tony kelly New Member

I like them both and just wondered
    what version do you like and why .The NKJ or ESV .
    Thank you .....

2. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I prefer the NKJV over the ESV because of the underlying textform.

3. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The TNIV is my favorite with the HCS falling right afterwards . Of English translations the KJV is the least understandable because of the antiquated language . But the NKJ and the NAS and NASU follow right behind . The ESV is after them . The language is a bit more intelligible . There are still many places that the ESV uses awkward word order and cumbersome phraselogy . But on my scale it is an improvement over the aforementioned .

4. Gold Dragon

Gold Dragon Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I like both too. I haven't used the NKJV in years and am currently using the ESV quite regularly. So I guess it would be fair to say I like the ESV more.

5. DesiderioDomini

DesiderioDomini New Member

Rippon,

please tell me that your statement regarding the TNIV as your favorite was a typo....

If it was not, may I ask you meet me in another thread to discuss why it is your favorite?

6. npetreley

npetreley New Member

What is the TNIV?

7. DeclareHim

DeclareHim New Member

Todays New International Version: with updated Gender Language.
    I enjoy both the NKJ and the ESV but the ESV is my favorite by far. It's a good sound translation and we use it in everything at church.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Esv for me.

9. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ESV for me, although I would not have any problem using the NRSV, TNIV, NIV or NASB'95 if that is what the church was using.

ESV - essentially literal translation with gender accurate language footnoted
    NRSV - good literal translation that uses gender accurate language
    TNIV - good dynamic translation that uses gender accurate language
    NIV - good dynamic translation
    NASB'95 - very literal translation

KJV and NKJV are basically the same thing, don't really care for either.

10. Johnv

Johnv New Member

It took me a long time to pick a translation that was best for me. After some 10 or so years of studying scriptural source texts and language, I chose the NIV. But I use the ESV and KJV somewhat regularly.

11. Michael52

Michael52 Member

I like the ESV very much. I read it more than all the others. It has a traditional "ring" to it and IMHO is very accurate, readable and memorizable.

Our Church uses the KJV which, of course, is lovely, though a little bit difficult to comprehend in places. If one took the KJV and updated the language and punctuation with the ESV (or NASB), it would come out very much like the NKJV (manuscript differences aside), which is also a good formal translation.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I was wondering , go2church , why you put the TNIV in the dynamic category ? If it can be considered dynamic at all , it is mildly so . In reality it is closer to being more literal ( not as much as the NASU , of course ) with functional equivalence at times , just like the ESV .

13. Keith M

Keith M New Member

I never cared too much fo the RSV, so I guess there may be a little ingrained prejudice there. I have used the ESV very little. My favorite is the NKJV, most likely because it reads much like the KJV, the Bible I "cut my teeth on."

14. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I just got my first copy of the ESV. So far I like it. I've been using the NKJV for the past several years, though.

I like the KJV because it was written when words carried more specific meanings than they do now. So some passage are more clear if you want to put the work into understanding the English. But it's harder to read, which is why I use the NKJV. When words aren't clear, I go to the Greek/Hebrew.

Bottom line: The jury is out for me on ESV because I haven't used it for more than a day. ;) But I'm checking it out.

15. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like the NKJV better than the ESV because of its textual base - although I do find the ESV a little easier to read.

16. BruceB

BruceB New Member

Rippon,
    I think go2church placed it there because of it's place on the "scale". Zondervan, the publisher of many NIV family bibles has a "scale" that places the differing translations from most "Word for Word" to most "thought for thought". The Interlineal, NASB,AMP and ESV are at the far end of the WfW, while the Living Bible and The Message and CEV are at the extreme other end (TfT). NIV and TNIV are right in the middle. Bruce
    PS Tony, I have used the NKJV (extensively but not exclusively) for the past 23 years and obviously recommend it. I am reading through the NIV this year; next year I plan to read through the ESV - the fellow who manages our local Christian bookstore is using it himself and highly recommended to me when I was purchasing my NIV back in November.

17. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Rip,

The TNIV seeks to communicate the meaning of the text, which at times requires a freer translation then if you just translated the words. All English translations do this to some degree, some more then others, the TNIV does it more then the ESV and NASB.

18. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

I prefer the NKJV over the ESV because I prefer the underlying text platform over that of the ESV. I do think the ESV is a good conservative transltation.

19. bobbyd

bobbyd New Member

I've been sold on the ESV since i was in Seminary at SBTS, and that was not long after it was introduced.
    I use it for my personal Bible study time and the majority of my preaching and teaching.

As for the NKJV, i do like it also and it is one of the translations i will frequent.

20. TomVols

TomVols New Member

I like the ESV over the NKJV, but the NKJV is probably the best of its text family. I think the ESV could be improved in many places, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.