1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

NKJV Chronological Study Bible

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Marcia, Nov 13, 2008.

1. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I saw this bible in Lifeway today and it is quite beautiful. There is color on every page. It is absolutely loaded with info.

3. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Oh, wow, now I really want to buy it!! :smilewinkgrin:

I shouldn't spend the money though.

I was looking at several pages of it online on CBD and it did look great. Seems like a good reference type Bible to have.

Thanks for the info! :wavey:

4. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

So they actually move the books around into the historical order? Do they do that for the New Testament too? Can someone list out the order that they use. I'm really curious. This also brings up the question of whether or not the books were meant to be read in a certain order.

5. queenbee

queenbee Member

NKJV Chronological

I'm looking into this one too! Checked it out on CBD as well. Did you catch the video on this one? Looks fascinating! KJ isn't my cup of tea, but the historial info, color pics, graphs, and commentary on customs, etc. just look so interesting. Everything I'm reading on reader comments on various websites seem to indicate an absolutely powerful edition of the Bible - http://blbooks.blogspot.com/2008/11/chronological-study-bible-nkjv.html and amazon.com have some really good reviews and there's a video intro at http://www.thomasnelson.com/consumer/dept.asp?dept_id=19700&TopLevel_id=190000 as well.

6. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

All of the scripture is rearranged by passage, not just by entire books.

The same chronological order & much of the same study notes that are in this Chronological Study Bible seems to be also found in the So That's Why! Bible (also NKJV text) and comes with a CD-ROM for a lot less (about $9, paperback).

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

I didn't see the video. I just tried to see it but I have to download quicktime or something to do it. Thanks for letting us know and giving us the link, queenbee!

You do know it's in the NKJV, right? This is what I ordered. I ended up ordering it from my Barnes & Noble store. I have a member's discount and a coupon for extra 15% off, so I get it about the same price as the discounted price on CBD.

I hope it comes soon!

#7 Marcia, Nov 20, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2008
  8. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Yes, they put the books in the order in which events happened.

It's true that there is disagreement about when some events occured, so not all chronological Bibles agree (there are other chronological Bibles).

This is info from CBD:

The Chronological Study Bible is the only study Bible that presents the text of the New King James Version in chronological order—the order in which the events actually happened—with notes, articles, and full-color graphics that connect the reader to the history and culture of Bible times and gives the reader a dramatic, "you are there" experience.

Features include:
    • The entire New King James Bible with translators' notes, arranged in chronological order-the order in which the events and writings actually happened, for absorbing and effective Bible study
    • Full-color illustrations of places, artifacts, and cultural phenomena that give you a dramatic, "you are there" experience
    • Fascinating articles that connect the Bible text to world history and culture
    • Daily Life Notes that explain how people lived in Bible times
    • Epoch Introductions and Historical Overviews that provide vivid chronological context
    • Transition Comments that set the stage and prepare you for the biblical text that follows
    • "Time Capsules" of world history that accompany the Bible text
    • Time Panels and Charts that show the flow of Bible history
    • In-text and full-page color maps of the biblical world
    • A handy scripture finder index that provides rapid access to any passage
    • Topical Index and Glossary to facilitate study

9. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Btw, welcome to the BB, Jonathan! :wavey:

I wanted to say more in response to your post.

No one should use a chronological Bible as their main Bible. The order of the books is not that important (for example, the Jewish Tanak arranges the OT books differently, and some other Bibles have the books in different places), but the order within the books of the passages is that way for a reason.

For example, Jeremiah is very much "out of order." But it's that way for a reason and we should study Jeremiah in the arrangement that God gave us. Same with some of the gospels.

However, a chronological Bible can be used as a reference tool to see the order of events and help one in their studies. So a chronological Bible should only be used in addition to a regular Bible and more as a reference and study help.

10. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

:laugh: I knew you'd get one!

Let us know how you like it, ok?

11. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Okey-dokey! :wavey:

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything sounds wonderful about this new edition except for one thing -- it's the same ole' text which hasn't had an update since the Old Testament and the New came out in 1982!

13. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

You mean it's a NKJV? I think that's the only way it comes.

That doesn't bother me because I'm okay with the NKJV, and I'm not using it as my primary study Bible.

14. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

The Bible came, and I went to Barnes & Noble today to pick it up!

First - about the cover: the choices in bonded leather are a distressed brown or "black cherry." I was torn because online they both looked nice. I was leaning toward the distressed brown because it is very attractive and the black cherry looked dark, like a burgundy. Then I decided the distressed brown looked sort of masculine, so I ordered the black cherry. And I'm glad I did. The black cherry color is much redder than it looks online and it is not burgundy. It's a very nice dark red (but not real dark) color. (I'm sure none of the men are going to care about this color assessment, but the women might).

I have not had time to look at the Bible that much but what I've seen so far makes me very happy I got it. I like the timline at the top of each page, for instance. There is a lot of color and the layout is beautiful. There is loads of info throughout. This will be a great tool!

Some of the background colors remind me a bit of the Archeological Study Bible, which is also very attractive and informative. Unfortunately, that one only comes in the NIV.

15. jonathan.borland

I guess it would be a little hard to find passages, but okay for reading straight through. I wonder if they put Paul's letters and the general epistles interspersed throughout Acts? That would be weird.

I just don't know about rearranging God's word, even if nothing is taken out or added to Scripture. I understand that the order of books is not as important as the order of the contents within the books, but when the order of passages within books is rearranged, doesn't anyone think that borders on tinkering with the way God has preserved his Word for us? I understand that Diatessarons of the Gospels were popular in some areas of the early church, so I guess there is a history of this sort of popular editorial patchwork.

It might be a little tedious, but couldn't one do a Thompson-chain-reference style Bible and simply tell the reader where to go next, from one passage to the next, for a "chronological" reading of the Bible?

16. jonathan.borland

Does the world begin at 4006 B.C., like in the Scofield Reference Bible?

17. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

There are books interspersed with other books - saw some of Galatians in Acts.

No one is rearranging God's word and saying it is the way it's supposed to be. It's merely a study and research tool. Everyone knows it's a chronological Bible and not the Bible as it is normally.

I'm not sure about your idea using a sort of Thompson Chain method - that would be too tedious. It's easier to see it in front of you. Also, there is a timeline on the top of the pages as well as time capsules that show events in history at that time. It's a very helpful study tool and I think God would have no problem with something that helps people study his word.

Of course, no one is forcing anyone to buy this, so don't get it if you don't like it. But personally, I think it's a helpful tool to use as an addition to a regular Bible and regular Bible reading/study.

18. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

They have an introductory note about the Old Stone Age beginning before 10,000 B.C. and then they give the other "ages."

The first time capsule covers 26,000 to 10,000 B.C.

I have a Scofield Study Bible but don't see where it says the world began in 4006 B.C.

19. franklinmonroe

franklinmonroe Active Member

Actually, the history of 'Bibles' shows that there have been many arrangments. Of course, the Hebrew Holy Writ was preserved in scrolls for thousands of years (and would not have any 'order' at all). I think, even the Minor Prophets (often together in one scroll) have been found with a slightly different order among the Dead Sea scrolls. The order of the Tanakh (since Jesus' time) is different than in our Protestant Bibles. Also 1st century apostolic Greek writings were first individually circulated, and later gathered into various groupings. Early New Testaments often had the General Epistles follow the Gospels or Acts, then the Pauline Epistles. Manuscript 'Bibles' were so large until about the 13th century that most were published in multiple volumes (also true of early printed Bibles). The Apocraphal books were include in most of these until the 1800s (sometimes with the books interspersed, sometimes gathered into an appedix). Tyndale's NT has 1&2 Peter and 1-3 John before Hebrews, James, Jude, and Revelation.
    There are several published charts for a chronological reading of the scriptures.

#19 franklinmonroe, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2008
  20. jonathan.borland

Look at the top of the middle column in Genesis 1:1. It might say 4004 B.C., I can't remember and don't have it in front of me right now.